Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Magnetoman, v8doog, Ginge), 16 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#891470 09/22/22 9:50 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This is not my project, John has asked me to put up the pic, Fraser is finishing this off. its now a runner.Final fettling underway.
I dunno if Fraser posts here , if he does , hopefully he can chime in with more info.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
https://imgur.com/a/uYdeQ62

In action, looks very neat and effortless.

Last edited by NickL; 09/23/22 4:49 am.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Nick, i hadnt realised this was a vid, doh!

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That starter sure has some kick to it!! Is it Frasers creation or Johns?

Would love to know more information about it!

ARK racing are taking orders for starter motor kits, I was very tempted but their system comes with clutch kit, the ring gear is outboard side of the basket and emulates the tony-hayward clutch set-up. For me I use the incredibly reliable Bob Newby clutch (been on for 10 years and not had to fettle with it once) and I wouldn't want to change that.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Would like to see both Right and Left sides.

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65L numbers match, “best effort” from basket *
Gone:
‘66 A65L“in ‘95 getting back in the game”+ empty ‘67 Case&Frame *
‘69 A65L
‘68 A65L “red bike” basket, sold & made whole by BB member
‘68 A65F nice Tribute bike
‘65 A50L bitsa from spare parts, Son’s fun
‘62 A10 Spitfire
‘65 T120R sad case, saved by BB member
'65 XLCH “scratched THAT itch”……
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Allan

It's my creation of which there were photo's of both sides. Fraser has finished it off due to my heath issues, and he's know how it all works. It is running off a Commando clutch which is a well proven clutch. with regards to your Newby clutch this would need to be looked into.

KC in SB
There were photo's in the earlier post regarding the starter, showing the drive side. it shows all the system inside the primary cover, nothing hanging outside it.

Once again this site has stopped me showing more photo's. I'll see if Gavin will post some for me.

regards

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Gavin

Thanks for that. I'll send you three more photo's if you can post them please.

regards

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
1 member likes this: SpeedyV
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This video has a walkaround.
https://vimeo.com/756315189#t=0

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
1 member likes this: SpeedyV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi

The above video is a walk round as Gavin said, just showing where everything is and how easy the bike is to start, which has done 10 cold starts. Due to my ongoing health issues Fraser finished off the bike for me. I started this project after seeing that some people were looking for an electric start to be fitted to the A65 models.
This has been built out of bits I had laying around in the shop and can be tidied up now that it it is a proven working unit. The bike is now owned by Graham who initially loaned me his rolling chassis to see if the project engine would work, once it was proven to work I sold Graham the engine.

I built the project with the view that engine could run with both single carb and twin carb models and that all parts would be inside the existing engine profile externally, while this has been achieved it can be tidied up to make it look a little nicer in my opinion.
Should you have further comments feel free to get in touch with myself or Fraser.

regards

John

2 members like this: Allan G, chaterlea25
Novice poster
Novice poster
Hello everyone - I'm Graham and I'm the fortunate owner of this A65.
I've owned it for 43 years, and thanks to John's innovative starter, and Frasers assembly skills, I was out and about on it yesterday.
I'll dig out some photos tomorrow, and give you a bit of the bikes history and how the latest changes have allowed me to ride it again.(& why I needed an electric start!)

1 member likes this: Allan G
Novice poster
Novice poster
Still trying to post these photos.......

A65.jpg img120.jpg img121.jpg
Novice poster
Novice poster
These were the first 3 that i could find -it turns out i bought the bike on 3/3/1982, slapped some Craven panniers and top box on it, and used it for touring round England for a few years (as well as my sole transport in London, which was.......interesting)
My move to Scotland saw it adopt another couple of guises, but by 2004 it was needing some serious attention, so the full SRM upgrade was carried out, 750cc conversion, engine overhaul etc etc. Various life events meant nothing much happened for a few years, and then from about 2008 I had a whole series of operations on my knee, culminating in a full knee replacement, which didn't really work. I was left with a knee i couldn't bend much more than 80 degrees and the likelihood of being able to kick over a virtually newly constructed engine was pretty much zero.
Ive been mates with Fraser nearly as long as I've lived up here, and he has helped me countless times adapting bikes etc - for example, due to his effort,s my Yamaha TDM was fitted with a handlebar operated gear-change and handlebar levers for both brakes to allow me to use it again.
What has all this to do with this thread? - Well, last year Fraser asked me if i wanted to meet a certain gentleman from Forfar, the legendary A65 whisperer, Mr John Hill. He was taking one of his engines up there for John to do some work on, so I decided to tag along.
As soon as you walked into Johns workshop, you knew you were somewhere a bit special - A65 engines sat on pristine benches in various stages of assembly, and in the corner was Johns 840cc A65 with a perfectly grafted set of modern folks allowing him the luxury of twin discs up front.
John and Fraser talk in a technical language way beyond my basic understanding, so I just subtly had a nosy around his workshop.
"Er, what this, Please John", I asked pointing to an engine on the bench with a curious attachment under the carb area.
"Oh that's just something Ive been working on, its an electric start for an A65 engine"
Well, it wasn't quite the celestial choir and clouds parting moment for me, but pretty damn close.
"Er.....would you be thinking of making any more of them"? i asked. But due to all the welding and one off nature of the project, he didn't think so .
Oh well.....
However, a few weeks later, Fraser said him and John had been chatting, and he was looking for someone to do a long term test on his design and was I interested?
Out came the SRM engine and my rolling chassis was delivered to John .
And so we've come to the present day.
I'm keeping a log of any observations regarding its operation, and start it up daily to test it as much as i can .
Oh, and John ended up selling me the engine, partly i think because he saw how much it meant to me to be able to ride my BSA again.

20221008_122329.jpg
4 members like this: chaterlea25, Allan G, NickL, gavin eisler
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi

I need to clarify a few points here, I've talked with Graham to explain my points. The reason I couldn't replicate another one is that the original was made up out of bit I had laying around the shop and not necessary parts that I'd ever have again.
Anyway the good news is that after a talk with Fraser, we are going to look at building Grahams original engine into an electric start similar to the test model over the winter months. Anyone who may have an interest and wishes to pass comment may do so.

regards

John

3 members like this: Allan G, gavin eisler, chaterlea25

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com