Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
2023 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/22/22 5:28 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
gREgg-K
gREgg-K
Ottawa, Canada
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 112
DavidP 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
reverb 29
kevin 25
Newest Members
Fritzilo, Fishbreath, Oilysock, Pacho, Abtinnmant150
12,264 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 14 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,353
Posts778,255
Members12,264
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Its the right diagram for my bike !?

They are not actually labelled to say what they are for, at that point ....

Norton on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Not a cush drive, but yes the top hat spacer is in there.
I am using a sized washer to fill the hole the 06.7704 (31 in your diagram) cut into the inside of the drive housing.

The picture, however, doesn't show the bearing lockring as it's important that the bearing lockring be fitted and fully tightened before the double-row bearing is installed otherwise there is the potential for the left-hand bearing to displace the right-hand bearing (via the bearing spacer) and is the fitting procedure in the factory manual (section H5. 2 & 3).
If the R/H bearing did move, then tightening the lockring after the L/H bearing is installed could side-load the bearings so even with the wheel assembled for test purposes the threaded lockring should be there.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Rohan
Its the right diagram for my bike !?

But not, however, the correct diagram for Hugh Jörgen's Commando (with two pages of discussion on the bolt-up hub assembly).

Originally Posted by Rohan
They are not actually labelled to say what they are for, at that point ....

They?

If, however, you mean the 06.7629 "speedo dive spacer" then its purpose is to reduce the 11/16" diameter of the speedo drive gearbox housing to the 9/16" diameter of the axle and centralise the housing by engaging with the bore of the internal spacer 06.7704.
Except for the width of the flange then it doesn't actually "space" the speedo drive because the sleeved section doesn't bottom out in the inner spacer, (therefore, wouldn't "prevent the speedo drive from being crushed").

OP Offline
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
...there is the potential for the left-hand bearing to displace the right-hand bearing (via the bearing spacer) and is the fitting procedure in the factory manual (section H5. 2 & 3).

There is.
But instead of using that procedure, which I consider problematic, after seating the right-hand bearing by fully tightening the lockring, I used a threaded rod traversing the hub with appropriate washers at each end to trap the bearings by both inner and outer races.
Then by tightening a nut against the left-hand washers the left-hand bearing is drawn in tight against the shoulder, with no possibility of displacing the right-hand bearing.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
...there is the potential for the left-hand bearing to displace the right-hand bearing (via the bearing spacer) and is the fitting procedure in the factory manual (section H5. 2 & 3).

There is.
But instead of using that procedure, which I consider problematic, after seating the right-hand bearing by fully tightening the lockring, I used a threaded rod traversing the hub with appropriate washers at each end to trap the bearings by both inner and outer races.
Then by tightening a nut against the left-hand washers the left-hand bearing is drawn in tight against the shoulder, with no possibility of displacing the right-hand bearing.

Ok, as I couldn't see any reason for the lockring not having been refitted.

OP Offline
Thanks L.A.B.
I should have fitted it, but in this case I didn't believe it would affect the seating.
Will fit it and test with stethoscope again.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
1 member likes this: L.A.B.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Is it too obvious to suggest that if all is well without the speedo drive,
then the problem HAS to be in the speedo drive and its fitting ?
Including said lockring - and suitable spacing.

The speedo drive is well greased - and intact - internally ?
If they become greaseless, their lifespan is limited after that ..

Out on the road, we were mystified when a thin black snake whipped across the road ahead of us. (!)
Until a Commando ahead parked up, and examined his now seized speedo drive - spinning with the wheel -
and the cable ripped out of the speedo ...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com