Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a 1960 T100A 500. It has a custom front end that I think is 1970 650cc from the steel sliders (pre-1971) with 70+ style axle caps/studs, P-clamp handlebar style upper triple clamp with no numbers. The bottom bearing is stupidly loose, like the race isn't the right size or the balls aren't contacting. Going back to the "proper" parts is just not possible where I'm at in the US, especially since the fork tubes are custom longer units from Frank's and the neck may be raked to match, etc.

I want to find bearings that fit instead or some conversion. I could convert to tapered bearings if I knew the right ones because the top bearing's upper race is shot anyway. I see tapered bearing kits that fit 56-70 650's and 67+ 500s, but what would I need to do to get the bottom to mate up properly? I can't find ID/OD measurements anywhere.

I have some photos but I don't know that they'd be particularly helpful. I can take measurements if it helps. This is holding up the entire bike, which is now in pieces on a jack in a car port with fall and winter weather heading in!

Triumphs on eBay
Slow and old
Slow and old
Might try a call to All Balls or Lowbrow Customs.

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
pijones has a Britbike again
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Has to be others here that have done this, but pulling the forks and measuring everything is probably the only way. Determine what size tapered bearings would fit and call Dixie Bearing Co etc... and tell them what you need. Should be easy to get bearings to fit but then you may have to shim vertical distances with washers or? I'd certainly try to use tapered bearings, hope somebody chimes in with real help soon.

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by The Momes of Wrath
I have a 1960 T100A 500. The bottom bearing is stupidly loose, like the race isn't the right size or the balls aren't contacting.
The early C series employed smaller OD bearings than the B series. I believe the ID was the same. You simply need the correct bearings. Ask CBS.
Why your bearing is so loose will probably become apparent when you dismantle it, but I bet they've used 5TA outer race and balls and a later "big bearing" inner race.

SR

PEH Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Fitting taper bearings is not always a step forward. A lot of leading manufacturers and some race teams are using the ball bearing and cup.

1 member likes this: The Momes of Wrath
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yeah, I'm finding that the exact inner and outer dimensions are hard to match at the same time because it's 1/2 mm increment or an odd size like 1-29/32. Otherwise I can wait on something custom made in China, then it's still too tall of a bearing compared to the ball bearings. I'm also having the same ID/OD problems with the ball bearings. I know someone must have done it correctly but idk who or where or when.

I can get too small of an OD and try to shim it (not a good time IMO), too big of ID by 1MM and the same problem but worse, or too small of an ID by 1 mm and shave it a bit and hope the inner race doesn't jam too badly on the stem. I have a set of inner bore gauges, micrometer etc and if I ever need to remove it and it's stuck too tight, I'll use the tried and true method of grinding it thin and giving it a good whack with a "fine adjustment tool". Splits the hardened race every time, especially with a slight interference fit.

The only problem is my entire front end needs to be assembled, disassembled, this done, then reassembled... or wait for a month with it in pieces. If only they'd used an industry standard machine bearing size to begin with, and then the parts would be 1/4 the cost. Oh well.

Last edited by The Momes of Wrath; 09/16/22 5:51 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Winter is coming soon to the Midwest.
"Riding season" will be over in two months.

Take your time to get it right.
Knowing how long winters are here, you'll have 4 to 6 months to figure it all out.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Last edited by AngloBike; 09/17/22 9:24 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com