Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,409
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Could any of you fine fellows post a few pics of a mostly stock t150 specifically the harness area by the battery/coils?
Bike has a tympanium Harley VR and a Boyer and a mess of taped off wires ground jumper wires and I'm struggling to sort it out. I may have to go circuit by circuit, there's a flasher but no relays, no fuses and it's further complicated by additional non standard wire colors added in. Also has 2 left side Lucas handlebar switches and no lighting toggle on the headlamp, pretty sure the lights were wired on the second left hand switch(which is on the right). Really hard to follow the wiring diagram without the correct colored wires

Last edited by DAMadd; 09/11/22 1:56 pm.

Dave
65 TR6R 68A65T 69 B44VS. 74 T150V 65 A65 D L/R
19 Chieftain
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not sure if it is the same on a '74 but the '71/'72 had the lights as the next position of the keyed ignition switch:
Park - Off - Ignition - Ignition + Lights
The Elephant ear on the handlebar cluster switched high/low beam.
What relay were you expecting? The turn signals worked by the flasher alone.
One fuse on the battery wire.

DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I was expecting at least a fuse, but the wiring diagram shows a horn relay..

Dave
19 Chieftain
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Not sure if it is the same on a '74 but the '71/'72 had the lights as the next position of the keyed ignition switch:
Park - Off - Ignition - Ignition + Lights

A '74 should have a two-position ignition switch and headlamp lighting selector switch.

http://www.triplesonline.com/images/factory/74T150VUS_wiring.png
Originally Posted by DMadigan
What relay were you expecting?

There would normally be a relay for the twin horns.

DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I printed the triplesonline diagram previous (I lurk around over there) as my service manual one is a rough photocopy for my aging eyes. That explains both the extra horn in the parts and those tabs on the frame I was wondering about.

The PO had the headlamp selector switch wired to the right handlebar switch and a hole where the selector in the headlamp should be. Probably because of the clubman ace bars he was running. He was a clever rascal, if a bit uncouth but no main fuse is a no for those of us who don't like to catch fire laugh

Dave
19 Chieftain
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There should be a toggle switch in the headlight shell, off, pilot, headlight. Blue wire from this switch goes to the RH handlebar switch. That wire powers the headlight through the switch.
The horn relay should be under the seat. It needs a ground wire, a white wire, a purple/black wire from the RH handlebar switch, and a black wire to the horns.

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
It's no use to show you a picture of my bird nest of wires under a seat, because my stuff there is very different from stock. Being in your shoes I'd rewire it myself, because your loom will be also different from stock, and make a diagram from my own wiring kept in a manual with the bike. You could order original colored wires from British Wiring, but it going to be not stock anyway, so for me doesn't matter.
In my Trident case I just used my original loom, but has to discard and change ignition part ( Trispark ) and charging part ( 3 phase alternator + reg/ rec ) so only lights and horn stayed original.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DAMadd
Could any of you fine fellows post a few pics of a mostly stock t150 specifically the harness area by the battery/coils?
Here's under seat photos of my stock, unmodified 1973 T150V that might be helpful. I say that because even though the VIN # is absolutely 1973, I have to refer to the 1974 parts book for some of the parts. Specifically so far, the rear brake backing plate hardware, the air filter cover and the primary chain tensioner. It has the 2 position key switch on the LH headlamp ear and the 3 position toggle in the headlight bucket. So, maybe it is a '74, maybe not. But here are the photos. Hope it helps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now that I look at the photos, there is a non stock adjustable flasher relay that I put in there, someone before me messed with the harness and taped it back up and I had to add that green white wire to get the RH turn signal working. The wire in the harness had no continuity. So I guess it isn't 100% original but at least it hasn't been butchered up too badly.

DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the the feedback. I just needed to see how it looked semi-unmolested. I wasn't sure if the guy had tried to convert it to pos+ ground and with no fuse hooking up a battery or 12v power supply wrong with no evident fuses could be a disaster. Soo many taped off or disconnected wires. I realize with a Boyer and voltage regulator you lose a few but things like realizing there's 2 horns is priceless. It's 50 year old wires I'll probably rewire and I've used British Wiring before but the story was it rode into the shop where I found it and the upper end of the motor was pulled off for a refresh. My plan is to see if it will run, then tackle things like wiring and fine tuning the clutch.

Dave
19 Chieftain
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DAMadd
I wasn't sure if the guy had tried to convert it to pos+ ground

Negative ground? As it would've been positive ground.

DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yes, what he said.
Negative. I was just typing away at my phone not paying attention.
Moral: not sure what was ground.

Dave
19 Chieftain

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com