Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
2023 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/22/22 5:28 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Cory
Cory
USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 112
DavidP 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
reverb 29
kevin 25
Newest Members
Fritzilo, Fishbreath, Oilysock, Pacho, Abtinnmant150
12,264 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mirko, bsawood, TinkererToo), 51 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,353
Posts778,251
Members12,264
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889687 08/31/22 10:56 am
M
Mackda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Just wondering if anyone could answer this. If a Royal Enfield Ensign is being sold as made in 1959, my question is where was it made. I'm having issues trying to find the answer on Dr Google. Were RE still making some Ensigns in England, or had all the production headed to India by 59? Tooling went in 55 but they were still making bikes in the UK. How would you know if its a knocked down model?

Royal Enfield on eBay
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Google has its limitations alright.
Only Bullet 350 production went to India, and the factory there continued to use the 1955 and earlier frame. Both factories evolved their designs separately over time. Madras/Chennai did not make major changes for decades. Redditch carried on with their 350 Bullet for a few years, developed existing models, and tried some new ones. (Their big sales successes were the unit construction Crusader series, and the Interceptor 750 twin.) Ensigns were all built in Redditch.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by Chris Overton
Google has its limitations alright.
Only Bullet 350 production went to India, and the factory there continued to use the 1955 and earlier frame. Both factories evolved their designs separately over time. Madras/Chennai did not make major changes for decades. Redditch carried on with their 350 Bullet for a few years, developed existing models, and tried some new ones. (Their big sales successes were the unit construction Crusader series, and the Interceptor 750 twin.) Ensigns were all built in Redditch.

Were the Indian-made Enfield two-strokes a different design from the Redditch ones?

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
I had to google to see if Enfield in India even made 2 strokes !

https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/bike...he-two-stroke-enfield-1662487-2020-04-02

That one sure did "go under the radar"
Hmmm
Were Villiers still actually making motorcycle engines by then ?
That'd be in the days of NVT ??

I can recall seeing lotsa 2 stroke Yezdi's in India.
Not sure of their origin - but zip to do with Enfield in the UK. ?
(And doing some more googling, Yezdi was an Indian manufactured Jawa).

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
My guess would be that it’s an Indian-made Villiers engine.

Enfield India made a two-stroke scooter called the Fantabulus as well. Yes, that’s how they spelled it.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
M
Mackda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Thats what i was finding. There isnt a lot out there about RE Ensigns in that period between manufacturing in the UK and then moving everything to India. Theres a reference to Completely Knocked Down bikes that was interesting. Would the quality of the rebuild in India be less than, or greater than the build quality of a bike wholly manufactured in the UK. And did RE use Villiers engines in that period or their own. And my original question was sort of saying is a 59 RE Ensign made in the UK or is it a poorly made Indian imitation?

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Mackda
And my original question was sort of saying is a 59 RE Ensign made in the UK or is it a poorly made Indian imitation?

They only moved Bullet production to India.
And the design was the 1955 version.
Meanwhile, Bullets continued to evolve, and be made, in the UK.

Along with the twins, Meteors, Connies and Interceptors.
None of which had any Indian connections whatsoever.

So I think we can take it as read that the Ensigns were entirely English made.

Royal Enfield had quite a long history of making 2 stroke tiddlers, from the Flying Flea onwards.
Looks like they were developing an alternative to bought-in Villiers engines
(or JAP or Aza or a few other alternatives also)

And since Bullets were initially made in India using all Royal Enfields jigs and dies and machinery, and expertise,
there was no question they were poorly made either ?

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Every day is a school day, and what an interesting tangent that Enfield India took. Credit to Enfield India for their initiative - that is no imitation. Note the frame, where the front tube loops under the engine. Were any postwar Redditch models built that way? (A hasty search turned up a photo of the Moto-X which had a loop bolted on to the front down tube.)

M
Mackda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
No offence meant. I was probably referring to the standards of some of the Indian made repro parts that according to a few britbike members, still need adjusting etc before they go on the bike. Also according to some of the posts, the quality of Indian steel in items like fuel tanks and fenders may be questionable. I havent bought any such parts but there are a few comments around. Again, no offence meant

M
Mackda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
You said in a previous post that RE Prince with a swing arm replaced the plunger rear end Ensign. Does that mean that all Ensigns have plunger rear ends? Or did some have swing arms?

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Mackda
referring to the standards of some of the Indian made repro parts

Ah, repro parts may be a different kettle of fish than Indian made Enfields.

If you buy oem Bullet parts, I've been impressed with how good a quality they seem.
Just today I received 2 brake rods, and they were beautifully made, and finished (and packed).
Ditto some oem brake light switches.

I bought some petrol tanks for the pre Bullet models, and they were a bit variable.!
The chromed ones were nicely made (and chromed), but the plain steel ones were quite heavy.
And when I turned those ones over, one of them looked like it had been welded
by the apprentice on his first day on the job ! It didn't leak though.
(these UK models would never have been manufactured in India, or any part thereof)

And some parts you see advertised look like they have been manufactured from a photo,
without ever having seen the item in question. ?? !!

So oem and repro can be a world apart ...

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
When contemplating RE models, the bible is Gordon Mays book "by miles the best"

This is a page by page listing of every model of UK Enfield from 1930 to the end (1970).
With a brochure pic, and a brief list of specs for each one.

[Linked Image from classicpartsltd.com]

I shall go and consult. The weather being inclined to be inclement, and the forecast is diabolical.

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
A quick google shows that the Ensign still had 'plunger' suspension for 1957.
Although with a swingarm - almost.
Quite late for plunger suspension, in fact.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yOOuqrzOBXI/maxresdefault.jpg

1959 is the earliest I could find for the Prince ?
(love the wiring in this example!)
https://images1.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2011-05/20/8301494-2-1.JPG

So there might be something in that plungers for the Ensign, and swingarms for the Prince ...

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
There is also the matter of the Enfield India 'mini Bullet'.