Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
2023 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/22/22 5:28 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 115
DavidP 60
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 30
reverb 29
Newest Members
Pacho, Abtinnmant150, Fritzer_108, Ratty, paul cheswick
12,261 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (NickL, charlie akey, tridentt150v, Doug P, quinten, kurt fischer, Chris Johnson, sbk99), 9 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,325
Posts777,860
Members12,261
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889866 09/02/22 6:40 pm
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the "What did you do to your bike today?" thread.

First I'd like to thank Alan and others for the advice about cracking each bolt and nut loose before re-torqueing - every bolt and nut turned more on tightening than it did on the loosening.

I didn't re-read, but I'm pretty sure my Chilton book says you only have to remove the exhaust rockers and pushrods to get at the center bolt. Not true, you have to remove the intake rockers and pushrods as well. Maybe if I made a tool to depress the valves, I could get the pushrods out without removing the rocker arms, but that's not happening today.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
But what BSA operation would be complete without some little glitch? This rocker end was stripped; the nut would not move in either direction. Since it's a "mushroom" type, the head would have to be cut off in order to remove it from the rocker arm.
Fortunately, I have a spare intake rocker assembly that's been sitting on a shelf in my garage for around thirty years, so I was able to replace the rocker arm. Interestingly, this rocker arm appears to be steel instead of bronze like the other ones.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
2007 Triumph Bonneville Black
BSA on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I am pretty sure all the rockers are forged steel. The bronze look is from the oil baking on them.
A spoon shaped tyre iron generally works to depress the springs enough to pull out the pushrod. Put it diagonally under the rocker and over the adjusting screw. Of course each tappet has to be sitting on the base circle of the cam.
The rockers are fairly hard, are you sure the rocker stripped and not the mushroom screw? Over tightening the adjuster nut could do that.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
If you think they are bronze ( which they aren't) put a magnet on them.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
To lift the pushrods out just use a 20mm spanner or similar on the
rocker arm from the pushrod side.
The rocker arms are forged steel, they may have been scrubbed with a brass brush.

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
I am pretty sure all the rockers are forged steel. The bronze look is from the oil baking on them.
A spoon shaped tyre iron generally works to depress the springs enough to pull out the pushrod. Put it diagonally under the rocker and over the adjusting screw. Of course each tappet has to be sitting on the base circle of the cam.
The rockers are fairly hard, are you sure the rocker stripped and not the mushroom screw? Over tightening the adjuster nut could do that.

Ok, yeah, the replacement rocker probably has way fewer miles on it (hence the color difference).

Next time around I'll try removing the pushrods without removing the rocker arms.

Yes, I believe the rocker END (not the rocker arm) and/or the locknut is stripped. The problem is, I can't remove the rocker end because the nut won't move (i.e., I would have to cut the "head" off the rocker end to remove it from the rocker arm). Substituting another rocker arm was the quicker solution.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
When components need to be hardened in one place and left soft in others, in this case only the bore of the rocker needs to be hard, copper plating is used.
The bore of the rocker would be masked with wax or similar then the rocker copper plated, then it would be case hardened. The copper resists the hardening process.

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Nice info folks. I have a little over 300 mikes on my restored spitfire. I should readjust the valves and retorque but its runnng so good I don't want to mess with it. The only problem so far was oil climbing the left rear head bolt. Cleaned it up and sealed it with some yamabond 4 . All is good.

Last edited by PFribley; 09/03/22 12:46 pm.
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
When components need to be hardened in one place and left soft in others, in this case only the bore of the rocker needs to be hard, copper plating is used.
The bore of the rocker would be masked with wax or similar then the rocker copper plated, then it would be case hardened. The copper resists the hardening process.

Andy, it sounds like you're saying that the difference in color of the replacement rocker arm is due to that arm's not being copper plated; is that right?

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by PFribley
Nice info folks. I have a little over 300 mikes on my restored spitfire. I should readjust the valves and retorque but its runnng so good I don't want to mess with it. The only problem so far was oil climbing the left rear head bolt. Cleaned it up and sealed it with some yamabond 4 . All is good.

I would advise biting the bullet and doing the retorque. I've neglected to do that on previous rebuilds, and I've had chronic oil seepage problems. If you see oil climbing a head stud, it is travelling across the head gasket, either from the pushrod tunnel or one of the oil drain holes, and will probably get worse.

Note the comments on removing the pushrods without removing the rocker arms; this makes the job a WHOLE lot easier.

OTOH, I see you're from Ohio, which means your riding days this year are numbered (unless you're one of those die-hards who ride all winter), so you may be able to put off the work till the end of the season.

Mark Z

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Originally Posted by Andy Higham

Andy, it sounds like you're saying that the difference in color of the replacement rocker arm is due to that arm's not being copper plated; is that right?
Sometimes after hardening the copper plating is removed, it makes no difference if it is removed or left in place

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
1 member likes this: Mark Z

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com