Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
2023 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/22/22 5:28 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Dave Comeau
Dave Comeau
Hamilton, Mass. USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 115
DavidP 60
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 30
reverb 29
Newest Members
Pacho, Abtinnmant150, Fritzer_108, Ratty, paul cheswick
12,261 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gordon Gray, TR7RVMan, Opo, mr.moto, Steve Erickson), 21 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,325
Posts777,860
Members12,261
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
I have recently become the proud owned of a 90 % restored A10 Golden Flash, all the mechanical work has been done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Although it's not originaL, I quite like the look of it how it is. It came with a leaky Indian tank, the paint had been bubbling from the seams on both sides since it was sprayed back in 2015.

I peeled the paint off to see what was going on and discovered a tiny spot on both sides where fumes have been leaking, there was no signs of actual wet fuel leaking. It looks like the fumes lifted the paint.

The tank is very heavy and substantial, I think it's a good tank, they just tidied up the welded seams a bit too much.

I have priced out getting the tank chromed,( $1000 just for the chrome ) and then getting it painted somewhere else, but there is nowhere local that will do the chrome plating, so shipping is another expense. I can get the tank painted with two colours just a three hours drive away, and I think that can look classier than chrome....
Something like this, but change the green with black.

I think this is how it would have looked originally but I don't like it.

It's $600 CAN for a silver and black paint job, or $300 for plain black.

Please help me make up my mind. smile

Last edited by Pureblood; 08/28/22 7:47 pm. Reason: ARSE !

I identify as being fully vaccinated.
BSA on eBay
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
OP "I quite like the look of it how it is."
Me too!

1 member likes this: Pureblood
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
It looks like I will not do better than to get another tank from India. I found a seller on ebay with 100% rating who can supply specials for less than half the price of anything around here.

This is what I will order.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Make sure you test for leaks BEFORE doing anything with a new tank. ?

The better suppliers supposedly test for leaks - with a 2 psi pressure test.
I recently acquired a couple of Enfield tanks.
And intend to line them before putting them into service.
The welding and joints seem OK - but better to be safe than leaky !!
Petrol spitting off a hot exhaust could spoil your day ...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I take it you're ordering an A10 swingarm tank and not a plunger frame type as they mount differently.

Just a few Beezers..

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
1. DO NOT PAY TO BUY AN INDIAN MADE
2. IF YOU MISTAKENLY BUY AN INDIAN-MADE TANK DO ADD TO THE MISTAKE BUY SPENDING MORE MONEY TRYING TO FIX IT.

IN YOUR CASE YOU ALREADY HAVE AN INDIAN-MADE TANK PUT PUT YOUR MONEY INTO TRYING TO FIX IT SO IT DOES NOT LEAK. DO NOT TO T DO NOT PUT AN EXPENSIVE CHROME JOB OR PAINT JOB ON IT UNTIL YOU HAVE USED IT FOR A TIME AND ARE CONVINCED IT WILL NOT LEAD AGAIN. MANY ANKS FROM INDIA ARE MADE FROM SUCH A POOR GRADE OF STEEL THAT I HAVE LITTLE TO NO FAITH IN THEM.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
1 member likes this: Allan G
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I have never done it but know plenty of guys who have.

they get their tank stripped ONLY by an electro plater then when the inside is chemically clean put in a liner., seems to work.

obviously you would attend to any apparent leaks first

original paint pattern is always best but tank chroming is an expensive job ... i would go with silver paint replacing chrome personally.

I have your bike but in plunger ,,, great old heaps.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Spitfire Ken
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES

Capslock !

I type one handed all the time.
Beer or coffee time in the other ....

Good point about plunger or swingarm type tanks.

DOPE
DOPE
i dont use the shift key either.

never seemed to hurt me any

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
From my experience I would say Indian made tanks are fine, as long as you are prepared to fix them. It all depends on availability, and how much money you have to spend. Sometimes it's an Indian made tank or bugger all.

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Ignoramus

they get their tank stripped ONLY by an electro plater then when the inside is chemically clean put in a liner., seems to work.

original paint pattern is always best but tank chroming is an expensive job ... i would go with silver paint replacing chrome personally.

I have had the old tank welded and it's not leaking now, I'm going to get it silver painted, but it's going to be a while before the bloke who I trust can do the job can do. In the meantime I will be using another tank I bought from India.

Compared to modern bikes it is a bit of a heap, but that's partly why I like it. smile

Last edited by Pureblood; 09/07/22 9:23 pm.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Pureblood

I have had the old tank welded and it's not leaking now, I'm going to get it silver painted, but it's going to be a while before the bloke who I trust can do the job can do. In the meantime I will be using another tank I bought from India.

Compared to modern bikes it is a bit of a heap, but that's partly why I like it. smile

My stock line to young whipper snappers who laugh at my old &hit box is .... " fine SONNY bring your plastic wizz bang back in 70 years and we will try a 1/4 mile !

at least everything on our old dungas is designed to be fixed eh .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Of the above photos, my favorite is the silver (chrome?) and black with the gold outline and red tank badge.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
2007 Triumph Bonneville Black
2 members like this: Pureblood, Mark Parker
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Does anyone know where I can find small screws to fit plastic tank badges ?. smile

Life Member
Online Content
Life Member
Does anyone know where I can find small screws to fit plastic tank badges ?. smile

Probably any of the vendors on this site will have them.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........"STOP blaming the bike!!!!”
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray

Probably any of the vendors on this site will have them.

I was thinking of the likes of a hardware store, rather than bother people ordering something not worth anyones while. That said, I have found a set that I altered to do the job..

There are two studs on the front of both my tanks that look like they should be bolted to something, do you have any idea what ?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
It looks like the studs that are used for a cross strap that stops the tank from flexing. It is listed as 42-8091 Petrol tank stiffening plate in the Gold Star parts books.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Gordo in Comox
It looks like the studs that are used for a cross strap that stops the tank from flexing. It is listed as 42-8091 Petrol tank stiffening plate in the Gold Star parts books.

Gordo

Not a lot of people know that !

Thanks Gordo

Last edited by Pureblood; 09/11/22 10:57 pm.

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
A few thoughts on this Indian tank..........

It looks really good, but it's not perfect. It is considerably smaller than the original Indian tank that came with the bike. I asked the seller about the size discrepancy, and recieved this reply.....

"this particular tank model is made by diecasting. Which means these are machine pressed and 100% copy of the original. The bottom part of the tank (fitting) is used in various BSA models like A7 A10, Goldstar, etc. This is the reason there is a huge demand and for this particular model we have invested in diecasting for quick production and delivery."

It came with badge screws that were way too big, and were Phillips cross head screws, not the original slot head type. I used them but only after a lot of fiddly work..

The threaded holes for the gas taps are on the piss, and there is nothng I can do to fix it.

It's probably the best that's available, and I would buy another fom the same source.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
someone told you:

"this particular tank model is made by diecasting. ......" ....RUBBISH die casting is where molten metal is cast in a die typically alloy....

he probably meant pressing where sheet steel is formed using a press tool

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
someone told you:

"this particular tank model is made by diecasting. ......" ....RUBBISH die casting is where molten metal is cast in a die typically alloy....

He is obviously comfused, but he says they are machine pressed and a 100% copy of the originals. I am inclined to believe that.

We are lucky people still make the effort to produce these, I would be lost without them.

So far it holds petroleum without leaking. smile

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Gordo in Comox

Gordo

Not a lot of people know that !

Thanks Gordo

Those who d0 not know will find out sooner or ltter wne the tank splits by the seat nose and they end up with chemical petrol burns on their private parts .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
someone told you:

He is obviously comfused, but he says they are machine pressed and a 100% copy of the originals. I am inclined to believe that.

We are lucky people still make the effort to produce these, I would be lost without them.

I doubt that unless some one has sent the indian company a tank to make a copy from (like Gordon Grey did) then they would ever seek a tank to copy from. They sure as damn cant get the coach work correct so getting the tank forming correct is going to be tricky. I have also seen many an pre unit tank which is nothing like the original when placed side by side. My father has a "goldstar" tank that came with a frame, tank doesn't look bad but it looks big enough to have ate another tank or two before it could fit on the shelf.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Allan G
someone told you:

I doubt that unless some one has sent the indian company a tank to make a copy from (like Gordon Grey did) then they would ever seek a tank to copy from. They sure as damn cant get the coach work correct so getting the tank forming correct is going to be tricky. I have also seen many an pre unit tank which is nothing like the original when placed side by side. My father has a "goldstar" tank that came with a frame, tank doesn't look bad but it looks big enough to have ate another tank or two before it could fit on the shelf.

There were lot's of English bikes exported to India over the years. Getting an original a10 bsa tank to copy would be very easy.

Getting a set of decent knee pads complete with slot head screws seems more problematic than getting a decent tank. I have given up altogether, and have ordered stick on knee pads.

Last edited by Pureblood; 09/12/22 8:05 pm.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Guy I know sent a pre-war Panther tank to India to be copied ,,,AND he actually got it back with the new one.
Seems to me that all Indian tank makers are not created equal... some are very good , some are rubbish and everything in between,

so how to find a good one?

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Guy I know sent a pre-war Panther tank to India to be copied ,,,AND he actually got it back with the new one.
Seems to me that all Indian tank makers are not created equal... some are very good , some are rubbish and everything in between,

Only dealing with sellers with 100% positive feedback would be a good idea.

Life Member
Online Content
Life Member

Only dealing with sellers with 100% positive feedback would be a good idea.

That's pretty much what I did. There was a fellow who was getting good reviews.....I'm thinking that thread is still around.
I sent a tank.....fiberglass to be reproduced out of metal. Took ages but I wasn't in a hurry. I did not want the tank I sent them back and was happy it stayed in India. I like to think of it flying down the road strapped to some two wheeled contraption.

The new tank from India is a bit heavy.......came sorta rough but I was lucky enough to have Don Roe around to sort it out. IMO it fit and looks good and has been leak free ( fingers crossed) for 3-4 years now? OH......they copied the tank pretty well. I did have them add inserts for the tank strap.....unit single fiberglass didn't have them......metal tanks did. I’m not one of those folks that don’t know what the studs/inserts are for.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/13/22 2:16 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........"STOP blaming the bike!!!!”
1 member likes this: Allan G
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Just found this and thought it was interesting.

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
. some are very good , some are rubbish and everything in between,

Easy…. Don’t buy in india yourself! But buy from a wellknown re-seller, they will do the quality control for you…

I sell on a weekly/monthly basis fuel tanks for BSA bought from a wholesale company, and have very seldom issues…
Tried india myself recently with a mudguard the wholesale Company did not list… well Never again, the product sucks and even more the attitude from the seller…so beware

Harold / Motolab.nl
BSA: W35-11 (sloper) ‘35, WM20 '40 M21,B31 '54 B33 '55 ZB34GS '49, DBD34GS '58, DBD34GS ‘60
Triumph 5T '49 + T100 + speedkit
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
BMW R51/3 '51, R100GS '89
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Motolab
. some are very good , some are rubbish and everything in between,

Easy…. Don’t buy in india yourself! But buy from a wellknown re-seller, they will do the quality control for you…

I sell on a weekly/monthly basis fuel tanks for BSA bought from a wholesale company, and have very seldom issues…

Whats the name of the company ?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I can not see in what country you live in…

Bateman is in The UK as far as i know. But your images, look more like scandinavia or Canada to me, not UK..

So look for a reputable BSA parts dealer in your home country and ask them for a fueltank…

I sell them but my company is in The Netherlands, that makes no sence regarding shipment costs if you are on the other side of the world…

Another “thing”. In europe, your goldenflash should have the round bage bigger tank in chrome, in the US and Canada the smaller two US gallon tank was in the catalog…. More like the one you bought from india yourself…

Have a throughout research first regarding what you need…. I have only knowledge of the European BSA catalogs..

IF you can not find a dealer in your country, i can help ( only) with the big European style chrome round badge (to be used with the original badge clips ) but as said, incl shipment, that is a expensive exercise if you are on the other side of the globe from me..TBH

Harold / Motolab.nl
BSA: W35-11 (sloper) ‘35, WM20 '40 M21,B31 '54 B33 '55 ZB34GS '49, DBD34GS '58, DBD34GS ‘60
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Motolab
I can not see in what country you live in…

Bateman is in The UK as far as i know. But your images, look more like scandinavia or Canada to me, not UK..

So look for a reputable BSA parts dealer in your home country and ask them for a fueltank…

I sell them but my company is in The Netherlands, that makes no sence regarding shipment costs if you are on the other side of the world…

Another “thing”. In europe, your goldenflash should have the round bage bigger tank in chrome, in the US and Canada the smaller two US gallon tank was in the catalog…. More like the one you bought from india yourself…

Have a throughout research first regarding what you need…. I have only knowledge of the European BSA catalogs..

IF you can not find a dealer in your country, i can help ( only) with the big European style chrome round badge (to be used with the original badge clips ) but as said, incl shipment, that is a expensive exercise if you are on the other side of the globe from me..TBH

I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I have found getting stuff delivered from China is usually quicker than getting deliveries from Quebec. Holland is not far away these days.
That said I'm ok now, but thanks for your reply. smile

Last edited by Pureblood; 09/19/22 10:54 am.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
thumbsup

If i can be of help later on, please say so

Cheers..

Ps. Netherlands 🇳🇱, Holland is only a tiny piece of the Netherlands, like Saskatchewan is from Canada

Harold / Motolab.nl
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
i say black tank with silver https://i.imgur.com/5TDp9bQ.jpg

the opposite of this one. but thats nice too

Last edited by hacksaw; 09/21/22 4:42 am.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com