Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
2023 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/22/22 5:28 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 115
DavidP 60
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 30
reverb 29
Newest Members
Pacho, Abtinnmant150, Fritzer_108, Ratty, paul cheswick
12,261 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (tridentt150v, Doug P, Chris Johnson, sbk99, bill50cal, The Bonneville Shop, bsawood, chaterlea25), 13 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,325
Posts777,860
Members12,261
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889320 08/26/22 10:10 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I rode a mile today on this bike - the first time I have ridden it in 21 years. I bought it in August of 2001, and then promptly took it apart.

I joined britbike forum in October of that year. Throughout the 21 years, BritBike forum members have been helpful, kind, and non-judgmental. Noone this forum has ever said it was a stupid question, or was condescending - this civility is rare (The Arduino Forums are particularly bad for this)

With your help - I took about 5 boxes, and put this together.

It has a couple of issues - burns a little oil I think is coming from slow returns in the head. Tach is sporadic - I think there's something wrong with the cable.

I've forgotten how hard you have to pull on a non-hydraulic brake system to stop the bike. The brakes probably also could use some bedding in time and adjustment.

Again - thank you - and AMA about the bike.

20220826_163141.jpg
2 members like this: gavin eisler, Jon W. Whitley
BSA on eBay
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Jake :
"It has a couple of issues - burns a little oil I think is coming from slow returns in the head. Tach is sporadic - I think there's something wrong with the cable."

dont sweat the small stuff!..

. fine effort!

myself i would get a few hundred/thousand miles on it , keep your eye on oil level , dont chase your tail with every little hickup .

THEN decide if any of the teething issues realy are a problem ....

always good to see basket cases come back from beyond the grave

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Looks like fun!

I agree....ride it for a while, maybe on back roads, slow and easy, get used to it, bond with it a bit, before you work on anything else on it....

Lannis

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
I agree....ride it for a while, maybe on back roads, slow and easy, get used to it, bond with it a bit, before you work on anything else on it...
It's an A65, so not too slow. Try to keep it over 3,000 rpm in the gears and 3,500 in top.

Other than that, definitely ride it and enjoy it.

DOPE
DOPE
whete did you get thr skinny air filters? ive been looking for one or two yo use witj a thunderbolt i have

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
cNw has a thin version used with the starter conversion.

https://coloradonortonworks.net/k-n-narrow-air-filter-for-amals.html

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just took it down to the Departure Bike Works thing in Scott's Addition - I turned around and came home - I would have been the only non-Harley there. Seemed to do well. Clutch needs a little adjusting, and I stalled once, but it fired right back up.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I got the skinny air filters at MAP cycle.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yeah - It was *completely* disassembled, down to the last nut and bolt. I had to have the frame straightened - that alone took 24 months to be done.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Well done that man. Boxes of bits are never easy.

On your teething issues.

Oil burning, have someone follow you, accelerate then close the throttle, if smoke comes out when the throttle is closed its valve guides, if you didnt renew these most likely, if you did then pry harder, the oil has no problem draining down the push rod tunnel, the front drains at the exhaust valve spring seats help remove heat ,you can clean up around the drain holes but it wont fix bad guides. If smoke appears on open throttle then rings are either worn or badly seated.

Clutch , a fresh rebuild clutch should be given generous push rod clearance, 3/4 to a whole turn at the pressure plate adjuster, this closes fast as it beds in and may cause issues. if you didnt renew the cush drive complete hub unit , it could be that, its the source of most clutch woes.

Rev counter, possibly the cable inner square end is slipping in the instrument socket, or drive socket, or it needs lubed, not usually an issue with the tach cable , leave the top 6 inches dry ,, rub the rest of the inner with a moly type grease. A dry cable will flick the needle as it winds up and frees.If the instrument head is worn try a new cable from a premium maker, some are fatter/ better than others, I have had similar issues with piss poor pattern speedo cables.

Front brake, supposedly the best of the BSA /T set ups, chamfering the trailing ends of the pads might help the bed in if its not already been done, this helps the self servo effect, Triumph used to issue a very structured bedding in procedure for the rider, in essence, take it easy with no hard stops for a few hundred miles, gradually increasing braking intensity. Better still is to have the brake plate and shoes complete skimmed true on a lathe .

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So just an update.

Front brake - after bedding in - is now ace. Can lock up the front end with a mighty squeeze, but seems to be fairly responsive, and provides a good braking power.

Tachometer was a bad tach unit. After replacing the cable, and disassembling the unit, found that the magnet was binding. I will try to rebuild, in the meantime, I got an EMGO pattern unit, which worked great on the ride today.

Clutch seems good. No stalls today from a stop.

Still burning a bit of oil. It's really strangely intermittent - I'll ride for 10 miles - no oil burned. I'll pull up to a stop light, and it will start smoking. Then, after another clear 2-3 mile ride, I'll pull up to a stoplight, and no smoke. It's not burning an appreciable amount - the tank has the same oil level as when I first started the bike (more or less)

Today, the homemade keyless ignition I made crapped out. I thought I had run out of gas, but no signal was getting to the m-unit fuse block for the ignition - so I hot wired the bike. It was a nice idea, but I'll be switching over to a regular old key to prevent that from happening again. Special thanks to the 82nd airborne vet who saw me break down, stopped, went and got me a pair of wire strippers, and stayed to make sure I got the bike started. I don't know who you were dude, but that was really nice.

Had the bike up to 70 today - felt pretty stable at speed. Before I had everything straightened, it was crabbing a bit - now, nice and stable and straight. No weird vibrations, no weird handling. Shocks and forks seem a bit soft - I know the fork fluid levels are correct because I had to refill them (don't ask why, don't want to admit that I didn't fully tighten the drain plugs)

2 members like this: leon bee, gavin eisler

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com