Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,409
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Uh,......... Dave?
Your Trident feeds oil to the rods through TWO plain bearings. (Which are basically a type of split bushing.)

2 members like this: Allan G, NickL
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Rod bearings would be my guess. If the clearance is big the bearing is riding a thick wedge of oil. When there is no load it rides it evenly, when you apply just a little load it pushes it down on every power stroke pushing that wedge out to a degree. So there is less resistance for oil going through the bearing, and the pressure falls on the lightest throttle or goes back up when backing it off. When hot it's more pronounced because the oil is thinner.

My Firebird does it and it's end fed in roller bearings. It runs high oil pressure and the throttle reduces it when hot by 10psi usually 75-65psi it depends on the temp of the day and how hard it's working. It doesn't rattle on the bearings which can be heard in worn out cars rapping as you go on and off throttle. I intend putting new rods in it even though it runs perfectly. And I can flexi gauge the old and new bearing clearances and let people know.

Without a gauge you wouldn't know, I just figure it's indicating some more rod bearing clearance than other motors. The bush may play into that but it's not as heavily loaded as the rod bearings.

mark
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Uh,......... Dave?
Your Trident feeds oil to the rods through TWO plain bearings. (Which are basically a type of split bushing.)
As do most all British engines. The triples just have extra plain bearings on the crank, it still feeds oil to the crank through the end, a process which many BSA owners pay a lot of money to implement.

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Alternator on one end drive sprocket on the other, just the feeds through the mains. But it's well done and pretty trouble free with T160 size feed hose and fittings. They run decent pressure. The small T150 feed hose can starve them on very cold days by causing the pump to cavitate because it cannot pull the cold oil through the restricted hose. The bigger hose fixes that and worth doing at a rebuild. Less Williams used to sell kits.

mark
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Originally Posted by Allan G
Originally Posted by DavidP
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
The corollary of this is that if you don't look for a problem not only will you not find one, but the problem will, in a very real sense, cease to exist.
The corollary of this is pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, just ride it 'til it blows up. laughing
Sorry if that's not much help. I sold my BSA because nobody could answer questions like this.
It's a shame, it was running really well. Still only showed 30-40 psi oil pressure with fresh bottom end.

If that’s the case David, you’ll end up selling everything with an engine.
Yeah, I can't quite figure out why my T120V gives 70psi all day and my T150V gives 80psi. Maybe cause they don't feed oil through s frigging bushing?

I’d be asking who built those engines on the 3 bikes you own(ed). I’d also be asking who’s done what to the oprv? I could be wrong but I’m sure the blow off pressure on the triple is 70psi same as the A70.

Thing is, if the thing is working then why piss about with it? Unless the pressure is on it’s arse then I’d be more concerned about oil flow. The big ends could be grinding away and blocking the bleed holes on the crank with shell metal. But all is fine as at the oil pressure gauge it shows great pressure as it can’t flow and the rest is being dumped by the oprv to the sump.

Whilst a seemingly wild concept, it’s also pretty darn true.

Life is stressful enough without getting upset over the little things...

Now lets all have a beer!

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: NickL
JJC Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
In answer to some of the questions, it has a stainless steel SRM pressure release valve, which seems to work fine with no evidence of sticking. I also have the original manufacture release valve and both seem to show much the same behaviour. The timing side bush has gone and been replaced with an end feed system.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Pretty sure it will be rod bearings. If worn ones make a rap noise going on and off blipping the throttle it's because the load on them changes. If those motors had an oil gauge I'm sure the oil pressure would be changing. Some people with cars chase that phenomenon endlessly. A light would not show it.

I have good gauges on 3 A65s only one of the motors does that and all are roller mains and end fed. My 650 with std rods does exactly what you describe 10lb change going on and off throttle when hot. You could try a different gauge I guess. But one of the others has the same type gauge and doesn't do it at all.

The pressure relief is not effected by throttle being on or off. It's reversing load on the rods.

mark
1 member likes this: rweb
JJC Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I'll be taking things apart in the near future with a view to investigating an end float issue. The big end bearings have something like 35k miles on them since the last overhaul involving a crank regrind. The oil pump has done well in excess of 65k miles but still delivers good pressure. The bike seems to run fine without issue doing typically a few hundred miles each week.

2 members like this: NickL, Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I couldn't say I'm 100% sure that pressure change is rod bearings. The guy with a hot car was doing everything to find what was doing it. pumps everything, Including moving where the gauge picked up oil pressure. It was a freshly rebuilt motor according to the seller. I'm just guessing. And come summer I should be able to pull the offender I have down and see if that's why.

mark
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As for the trident, oil is fed via the mains, they are split bushes like a car.

https://imgur.com/mke2nTq

Last edited by NickL; 08/23/22 2:17 am.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com