Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Lannis
Lannis
Central Virginia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tridentman, Shane in Oz, Ian Ashdown, Magnetoman), 9 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#887196 08/02/22 3:57 pm
tim Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
If anyone uses the Vintage club forum if you log in to it now you will see that all the original moderators have resigned and head office has taken charge. The section 'in the pub' has been removed and so has the innocuous sub thread "what I rode today" It seems that no threads other than "the timing gears on my spagthorp whippit are making a noise" are allowed.

The idea that comment can be stifled on the internet is so silly as to be laughable I guess we shall see another VMCC forum run by members starting soon. perhaps a section on here?

British motorcycles on eBay
tim #887204 08/02/22 4:53 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by tim
If anyone uses the Vintage club forum if you log in to it now you will see that all the original moderators have resigned and head office has taken charge. The section 'in the pub' has been removed and so has the innocuous sub thread "what I rode today" It seems that no threads other than "the timing gears on my spagthorp whippit are making a noise" are allowed.

The idea that comment can be stifled on the internet is so silly as to be laughable I guess we shall see another VMCC forum run by members starting soon. perhaps a section on here?

It was Dunkley who made the 65 cc Whippet (spelling!).

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
tim #887219 08/02/22 6:46 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's almost mandatory that vibrant clubs implode and then rebuild. With a broadbrush, my view is that clubs can only be vibrant if single-minded people put in the hours, which can mean implosion due to single-mindedness.

When I retire, or should that be "if I ever retire" (huh), I shall ride a motorcycle on various VMCC runs. With a bit of planning and a support vehicle, it should be possible to spend the summer riding around the UK on the most obscure backroads.

https://www.vmcc.net/Section-Runs-Events

tim #887221 08/02/22 6:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I used to go on their forum but stopped quite a while ago because I got fed up with the high percentage of total f***ing morons on there who seemed to want to do nothing but argue about how the club was run.

I guess it will now totally implode. Like you said, when it does perhaps a phoenix will rise from the ashes.

John

tim #887222 08/02/22 6:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Most motorcycle clubs last about 30 years.

The VMCC has lasted much linger.
Let;s hope it can rebuild and become stronger than ever.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
II got fed up with the high percentage of total f***ing morons on there who seemed to want to do nothing but argue about how the club was run.

Ahhh, one of the ubiquitous "cons" of the internet age.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

tim #887256 08/03/22 4:14 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thats a shame

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
tim #887262 08/03/22 8:34 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The largest British bike club back when I was looking for a club to join was the NSW CEMCC
I wnet to 3 of their monthly meetings
After the general run of stuff they got to "Matters Carried over from last months meeting"
Well there was a matter which was weather w Poore Triumph could be consided a defunct marque which would have allowed some one with a 4 year old bike to join
The argeuments were heated & viscious and went for the entire remaining 2 hours
The following month he argeument went over to modifing the constution to facilitate the same thing as Ducatti ( I think ) had just changed hands
The thirdd meeting carried on along the same lines only this case it was weather tha matter had been handled according to the constitution.
I walked out never to return
A few months latter ther was a notice about reforming the NSW BSA club so I went to the first meeting.
Latter that week a couple of members came round to sort out my bike & I joined up where I have been since
and FWIW the members correct identified my parts problems as the A 10 was a horid mess of long stroke & short stroke A 7 parts modified to bolt onto A 10 cases with the wrong crank to boot so I never ran again which was a shame because t was a really quick bike, when it ran .

IMHO a motorcycle club should be all about the motorcycles not about the validity of rules & regulations .
Onc e a club becomes all about the club, it is time to find another club .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
tim #887275 08/03/22 11:06 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This may turn out to be a LONG thread, as everyone has a horror story about clubs they once belonged to.

I was in six local clubs in my fifty-five years of motorcycling: the first two were "outlaw" clubs, one was an AMA club, the other three were 'vintage" bike clubs.
Odd as it may seem, the ones with the LEAST internal battles were the two "outlaw" clubs.

The AMA club was destroyed by several guys who wanted to run our annual show, disobeyed club policy by going into Chicago to spread our advertising
material, which resulted in two rival outlaw gangs arriving on show day, and a "gang war" at the show site. Guys responsible for problem never admitted it.
Several members who did the work walked out (me, as secretary, included.) End of shows. End of show profit donations to charities. Soon, end of club.

The area classic and antique bike club was next. It actually survived about 40 years, despite internal fights over control. The problem group in this one was the vintage "Indian" cabal, and one person in particular, who would instigate problems by pushing one of his guys forward to do HIS dirty work. The logic of that
sub-group seemed to be "WE should have final say on matters, because WE own Indians, and they're so great that they aren't being made anymore!"
They finally got themselves elected to the top officer positions. They lasted ONE year. They failed so miserably that when the year was up, their "president," "secretary" and newsletter "editor" didn't even show up for the final meeting of their term. They just.quit the club and ran away
The club survived them by another 30 years.

There is a pattern in such failures. BSA_WM20 sees it, as I do. It's always an internal fight for control. The culprits can't form an organization themselves, so they go about capturing an existing one, and eventually destroy it. It can be a problem in all organizations. I think the way to prevent it is to BEGIN the club with good, strong by-laws and ENFORCE them. Make those by-laws clearly known to ALL members, both original and new, ENFORCE those by-laws, and don't be afraid of "hurting someone's feelings" by doing so. If a member won't comply, dismiss him and remove him from the membership roster.

Irish Swede #887278 08/03/22 11:43 am
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
This may turn out to be a LONG thread…….snip….

The culprits can't form an organization themselves, so they go about capturing an existing one, and eventually destroy it…….snip…..

Yep…..I’ve seen that happen.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........White man broke the code

tim #887285 08/03/22 1:06 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I joined a local “classic motorcycle” club at its inception in early 1990s.

25 years later, many of the riders of old British bikes had died. Others didn’t ride their old British bikes much. The members were now mostly guys who wanted to go long touring holidays on big modern touring bikes and others who had Harleys and wanted “club colours.”

I ran out of reasons to be in it.

I’ll always have my memories of grown men yelling at each other about fuel additives or about the wrong bike getting a prize.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That is the current state of the local "antique and classic" bike club I mentioned above.
Many of the current, younger members claim to have an interest in old bikes but if they actually OWN any, those bikes never appear.
The shows we had twenty years ago are now just memories, none are held any more.

They only ride their modern bikes, if at all. I suspect few if any of them actually own a bike more than fifteen years old.
Their big "rides" are to a dinner somewhere. They have become a "knife-and-fork club."

That is why I quit, about fifteen years ago.

tim #887364 08/04/22 12:53 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Midwest antique and vintage motorcycle club with swap meets and shows at Woodstock then Bellevue Ill?
Those were some great shows.

tim #887404 08/04/22 11:22 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
YES, Franko.
the second location was Belvedere, near Rockford.

tim #887516 08/05/22 8:56 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Used to be on the vmcc forum but found it could be quite toxic, posted a question about some odd size threads on a set of girder forks, ended up getting some quite nasty comments from one member, but having said that had asked about a kickstart pawl for a sturmey archer gearbox and a very kind gent asked for my address and sent me one through the post.
Some members just seemed as though they wanted to pick an argument but others were really helpful, and generous, bit like life really

tim #887610 08/06/22 1:35 pm
Odd member
Odd member
I was in the VMCC for over 25yrs, then they started moaning about committee stuff, then I showed up at a meeting where I wanted to talk to a mate who I knew would be there, I wasn't on an Olde bike, it had 8yrs left till it was, what you doing on that shyte was the question. And finally as I sat in my truck reading their comic, I came upon a yarn full of campervans and Chihuahuas. That was me lot, been out of it for 3yrs now and don't miss a thing... thumbsdown

I'm in three clubs now, and one of them is getting near the point of seeing me leave, if the *Your not on the make of bike the club likes* attitude continues.... ohno

The other two are BRILLIANT, they care not one jot what you show up on, welcome anyone who's not a member, just so they can show them what being a member is all about, and ONE of the clubs even had a FREE weekend, once the plague was over. Cos they knew people would need one and as a lot wasn't working over the plague, they'd be a tad skint.... thumbsup

Still I suppose them that put these draconian rules in know that they're killing their club, I'm not seeing loads of young faces in the photos they publish. Just old farts like me, and the rest are dying off.... frown

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 08/06/22 1:37 pm.

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
tim #887625 08/06/22 6:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Shaun, a similar problem happened with the Midwest club which Franko and I discussed above

The club was originally open to all makes and anyone interested in old bikes. Our annual shows were well attended and got bigger over the years.
The show floor was open to any and all bikes 20 years old or older.

Then one of the members, the Secretary-Treasurer, who was a Harley dealer, took it upon himself to stand at the door and rule on what was, or was NOT, allowed to come into the show hall.
I brought my absolutely original 1966 Honda CL77 "scrambler" and he ordered me: " Leave it on the truck, we don't want any 'Jap junk' in here!"

In years past, I had brought my '72 Triumph Daytona and my '47 Harley with sidecar to the shows, but after that remark, I never brought another bike.
And, I had been one of the earliest members of that club.

As to dying memberships due to dying members: the local antique car clubs are suffering from that as well.
The guys in there "fifties" want cars from the 1970s and '80s. They have no interest in Ford Model "T"s and "A"s.

tim #887629 08/06/22 7:24 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Here's what I don't understand. Why would a club want a member who has no interest in what the club was formed for?

And why would anyone want to BE a member of a club, the subject of which they have no interest?

I mean, suppose there's a "Model A Ford" club. Why would they want someone who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, doesn't work on Model As? And why would a guy who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, and doesn't work on Model As WANT to join? Why would a guy want to ride in the Model A tour, or on the Model A rideout in his 2006 Chevy Malibu bother to join such a club?

Is it just to show that "They can't keep ME out, those exclusive b*stards. They're discriminating against people just because they don't have or want a Model A Ford, and I'm not going to let them get away with that!!"

Or the Virginia Appalachian Hiking Club? Why would they want some guy who doesn't hike, and wants to come with the club on their weekend backpack outings riding his ATV? Seems to me that if you join a hiking club, its so that you can (....WAIT for it...) HIKE with them, not just say "Well I like mountains too, but I'm a lazy SOB who doesn't like to walk, so I want to join so that I can be in the mountains but I'll come along on my ATV".

Never have understood it. If I join a club (and I have) I'm going to get into the spirit of it, play by the rules, and have fun with like-minded people, not join the club and then be disappointed that they have rules, and ANYONE can really join and do what they want to ....?

Lannis

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
As to dying memberships due to dying members: the local antique car clubs are suffering from that as well.
The guys in there "fifties" want cars from the 1970s and '80s. They have no interest in Ford Model "T"s and "A"s.

You picked a TERRIBLE example there. You just try joining a Model A club, and try to pry a Model A out of the hands of their 20 and 30-something year-old members once they get their hands on one (AMHIK). They won't let them go for love nor money, any kind of money. (If I'm honest, I haven't tried love yet, but you never know). They're fanatics about their "A"s, and the Model T guys seem to be the same way ....

If you find some fifty- or older guy who is tired of them, and wants to sell his "A" so he can buy a '57 Fairlane, you just let me know ....

Lannis

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
tim #887646 08/06/22 11:35 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If that's the case in Virginia, it's much different than here in northern Illinois.

tim #887676 08/07/22 8:55 am
Odd member
Odd member
[quote] I mean, suppose there's a "Model A Ford" club. Why would they want someone who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, doesn't work on Model As? And why would a guy who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, and doesn't work on Model As WANT to join? Why would a guy want to ride in the Model A tour, or on the Model A rideout in his 2006 Chevy Malibu bother to join such a club? /quote]

Lannis lad, don't have an answer to THAT one, but I've had a lad interested in Olde bikes, and interested in the make too, he asked if he can pay a visit to a certain Rally. And was told, NO cos you're not on the make of bike the Rally is about. He's even had a lad vouch for him and his credentials, and still he got the cold shoulder. THAT'S exactly the sort of attitude I'm fighting against, I know if that lad had been let in he would've joined the club, AND bought that make of motorcycle, but due to the reception he got he said "well bugger them then".... facepalm

Then there's the yarn about a lad that was in a club for nearly 30yrs, did a load of Rallies and runs, all the time on that make of bike, then one time. And for the first time ever, he booked a tour on his modern, hoping to end the trip with the Olde bike Rally. But on the modern, sadly the attitude he got was, why can't you ride the Olde bike on your tour, then show up on it at the Rally, cos you won't be welcome on the modern so best you don't come.... shocked

These are the things that will kill our lovely club's stone dead, when I was secretary of the BSAOC Kent branch, I welcomed one and all. Even a lad that only had Matchless bikes, so once we got to know him, we started to Rib him constantly about not having a BSA, all done in the best possible taste. He ended up with 3 BSA's and took them around the World on BSA International Rallies. If I'd had said at the start of he's membership NO cos you don't own a BSA we'd never would have had such a good lad in our branch.... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Lannis #887677 08/07/22 8:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
Here's what I don't understand. Why would a club want a member who has no interest in what the club was formed for?

And why would anyone want to BE a member of a club, the subject of which they have no interest?

I mean, suppose there's a "Model A Ford" club. Why would they want someone who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, doesn't work on Model As? And why would a guy who doesn't own a Model A, isn't going to own a Model A, and doesn't work on Model As WANT to join? Why would a guy want to ride in the Model A tour, or on the Model A rideout in his 2006 Chevy Malibu bother to join such a club?

Is it just to show that "They can't keep ME out, those exclusive b*stards. They're discriminating against people just because they don't have or want a Model A Ford, and I'm not going to let them get away with that!!"

Or the Virginia Appalachian Hiking Club? Why would they want some guy who doesn't hike, and wants to come with the club on their weekend backpack outings riding his ATV? Seems to me that if you join a hiking club, its so that you can (....WAIT for it...) HIKE with them, not just say "Well I like mountains too, but I'm a lazy SOB who doesn't like to walk, so I want to join so that I can be in the mountains but I'll come along on my ATV".

Never have understood it. If I join a club (and I have) I'm going to get into the spirit of it, play by the rules, and have fun with like-minded people, not join the club and then be disappointed that they have rules, and ANYONE can really join and do what they want to ....?

Lannis

Quite simple Lannis.
Riding / driving pals or criminal intent
back in our formation days the VMCC were having a Presidents Day at a local museum .
Some low life then went around to all of the committee members dheds and emptied them safe in the knowledge that the Hubby would be at the event all day & he would have the missus & kids there with him.
Thus from then on we only ever use first names & only ever publish mobile phone numbers , althugh with all of the tracking apps now days even that is dangerous.

The others are personal friends , usually of a committee member
Then the club bends hte rules to accomodate the friends of the friends of the friends so the club looses irection and the real members all leave

Power is the last.
Lots of clubs that have been around for a long while have millions in the bank

Bike Beesa
Trevor
1 member likes this: George Kaplan
BSA_WM20 #887683 08/07/22 11:35 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
back in our formation days the VMCC were having a Presidents Day at a local museum .
Some low life then went around to all of the committee members dheds and emptied them safe in the knowledge that the Hubby would be at the event all day & he would have the missus & kids there with him.
Thus from then on we only ever use first names & only ever publish mobile phone numbers , althugh with all of the tracking apps now days even that is dangerous.
I dont think the same applies to the VMCC. After all, they insist that everyone uses real names on their forum so it cant apply to them can it? laughing

tim #887726 08/07/22 8:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I got sick of the VMCC a few years ago, all they did was argue about whether of not they should or shouldn't sell spares. Whether or not the 25 year old rule should be rolling, and all the magazine seemed to do was have articles about what ethanol/unleaded/etc etc would do to your Vincent. Oh, and you could go on social rides wearing flourescent tabards that were like riding a motorbike on prozac. maybe I will rejoin when I'm really really old.

1 member likes this: kevin

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com