Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mark Brown
Mark Brown
Michigan's Thumb
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 64
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 21
Newest Members
Ash Cav, MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller
12,213 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Magnetoman, Max, MurrG, Shane in Oz), 20 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,557
Posts776,499
Members12,213
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
FYI:
I have turned on PM for Basic members again for now

Due to recent scam activities and therefore to make the forum more safe for our members a decision has been made to remove the right for basic members to start private messages PM's.
a basic member can still reply to an existing PM or to future PM's from upgraded members BUT cannot start a PM.

Please note that Premium members, Gold Members and Life members can still start PM's
So can Sponsor members, Moderators and Admin.

Last edited by Morgan aka admin; 08/03/22 9:38 am.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
1 member likes this: Chip H
British motorcycles on eBay
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
The PM uses the E Mail address that was used for the basic service application ?

Last edited by Chip H; 07/17/22 7:36 pm. Reason: speling.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I've always used PM when I want to discuss something private, or something that the receiver may not want to be known public. Guess I won't be able to initiate such a message anymore. In fact, I was going to send a PM to Morgan..........Any more changes?

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Steve said that. Anything worth doing well is worth teaching to others. I said that.
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Chip, I don't follow you, When someone receives a PM a notification email is sent out but only if enabled by the member in his profile. If not no email.

Tom, No no other changes.

I am not saying this is forever. it is for now as protection for our members. It applies to basic accounts only.
I might come up with another solution. we'll see as times goes.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
1 member likes this: Chip H
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I'm on my third or forth Email address over my internet lifetime.
It seems I was a Nigerian Prince, and stranded in Bolivia needing money from my family.
Some of my old E mail accounts are still log in fodder for my old accounts.
This is why I ask.

Amazon still sends receipts to an unused / abandoned account for instance.

Thank-you for the forum .

I have soaked up a lot of lore.
and will continue to do so.

There is much of the forum Ido not read or understand.
How to buy you a cup of coffee, for one.
Though in the Euro heat wave, a pint of lager might be more appropriate

Last edited by Chip H; 07/19/22 4:42 pm.
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Originally Posted by Chip H
I'm on my third or forth Email address over my internet lifetime.
It seems I was a Nigerian Prince, and stranded in Bolivia needing money from my family.
Some of my old E mail accounts are still log in fodder for my old accounts.
This is why I ask.

Amazon still sends receipts to an unused / abandoned account for instance.

Thank-you for the forum .

I have soaked up a lot of lore.
and will continue to do so.

There is much of the forum Ido not read or understand.
How to buy you a cup of coffee, for one.
Though in the Euro heat wave, a pint of lager might be more appropriate

Chip,

Always see to that your email is updated in your profile
The coffee or beer help is just an paypal link
https://www.paypal.me/britbike
you can click it to send a dollar to whatever you wish to contribute.

Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Morgan is there a way you can set it up where a basic member can use PMs after so many posts by the basic member. doing that as a step to be a verified member?

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
1 member likes this: Nomad6T
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Originally Posted by bill50cal
Morgan is there a way you can set it up where a basic member can use PMs after so many posts by the basic member. doing that as a step to be a verified member?

I will look at it next week windy

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
1 member likes this: bill50cal
"a basic member can still reply to an existing PM or to future PM's from upgraded members BUT cannot start a PM."

Morgan, it looks like a basic member appears as over limit to an upgraded member, so a PM string can not be initiated from either status.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
1972 Commando - 'Bitsa'
L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
As a basic member, the Private Message button to PM another member is still there, however, when I click on it I see the following message about "private topics" being disabled.

"Private Topics are disabled for your current member level.

Creating useful topics/replies in the forums will increase your member level and allow you to create new Private Topics.
"

Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
The PM status for basic members are not set to disabled but set to zero
Which means it can still see old existing PMs but not start a new. When trying to start a new a error notification appears which is not fully correct as it was intended for another situation. The software makers did probably not consider this situation.
I can’t work on this pm issue right now I need to come back to it next week.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
I would have thought basic members should at least be allowed to PM moderators/admin?

I just checked and can't do either just get the same "Private topics are disabled etc..." message.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
So, if I'm following this correctly, if a basic member sees an item on Garage Sale he is interested in, he should post on the thread that he would like the seller to PM him? And the PM initiated and sent by the seller can open an ongoing private two-way conversation between them for the transaction?

(I'm trying to figure out if I should make a sticky at the top of the Board for this? Or maybe this should be an automatic generated response to PM attempts?)

And what if the seller and the buyer are both basic members....?

Edit- Well, this is ironical (love that term!). I just tried to PM a new member to help him with a sale, and got the message that I can't. Now that I think about it, I guess I am a Basic member. Therefore I fall under the new mandate. Mods apparently aren't exempt, even on their own boards. So Morgan... should I send you money so I can help the Basic members posting on my Board? Actually, I guess any members?

Last edited by Steve Erickson; 07/31/22 2:29 am.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Steve, Moderators should be exempt. I need to look in to what is wrong. Also I will have time to create a solution hopefully in August for us all.
The reason for the current mess is that I put our members security first. It is a bit awkward for now but we have to deal with it.
Still I like to have yours and all other members feedback. Believe it or not but I do read it.. wink

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
FYI:
I have turned on PM for users again for now

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
1 member likes this: Steve Erickson
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Status report.
Basic members or nonpaid users have now again same privileges as before meaning they can create and receive PM's.

From today:
NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS will start in NOVICE GROUP and cannot create Private Messager, write in Shoutbox or view other members profiles.
in order to move up from Novice group level, the member needs first to be active in the forum or upgrade direct to Premium or Gold membership.

Any member is welcome to upgrade to Premium or Gold level it help us to maintain our forum which we started already in 1996...

Hope this is good for you all.

Last edited by Morgan aka admin; 08/03/22 9:33 am.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Can Novice members receive PMs? And if so, from Basic members?

I ask because I tried to do just that tonight with a Novice, got a message that he is over the Private Topic limit. I kinda doubt that, this is his first post.

And it is on Garage Sale.

Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Steve I have made a change and set novice to one pm,
Only because the system sends a welcome pm. Try again and report.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
No change, Morgan...

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Morgan -

I've got no problem with you running the board the way it needs to be run, and I don't know your workload and the technical capabilities of the software, so this is just a suggestion.

I understand that from a security standpoint, we have to be careful of "new people", because they could be spiders or viruses or robots or any of the other vermin roaming the interwebs, and we don't want them here, scamming our members.

And I also understand that a valid and enthusiastic "new member" could get full privileges by immediately signing up for Premium status, BUT a new guy will be understandably shy about sending money until he knows what the board is about and understands the benefits of interacting fully with others.

Would it be possible for a new member to claim immediate "Basic Member" status by being "sponsored" or "vouched for" by an existing member? Obviously, a new guy who is not known to anyone on this board must demonstrate that he is trustworthy by posting, telling who he is, and interacting, NONE of which needs PM or Photo privileges. But if one of us has invited a guy we know to be a good guy, and he has useful information and we'd like to PM him or he'd like to show his pictures, is it possible that a "good word" from an existing board member could jump him immediately to Basic Member status, and it would keep the Nigerian Oil Ministers at arm's length.

Just sayin'.

Lannis

I used mind control on a person at an auction.
They now do my bidding.
Ride safe today!
OP Offline
Ride safe today!
Originally Posted by Lannis
Morgan -

I've got no problem with you running the board the way it needs to be run, and I don't know your workload and the technical capabilities of the software, so this is just a suggestion.

I understand that from a security standpoint, we have to be careful of "new people", because they could be spiders or viruses or robots or any of the other vermin roaming the interwebs, and we don't want them here, scamming our members.

And I also understand that a valid and enthusiastic "new member" could get full privileges by immediately signing up for Premium status, BUT a new guy will be understandably shy about sending money until he knows what the board is about and understands the benefits of interacting fully with others.

Would it be possible for a new member to claim immediate "Basic Member" status by being "sponsored" or "vouched for" by an existing member? Obviously, a new guy who is not known to anyone on this board must demonstrate that he is trustworthy by posting, telling who he is, and interacting, NONE of which needs PM or Photo privileges. But if one of us has invited a guy we know to be a good guy, and he has useful information and we'd like to PM him or he'd like to show his pictures, is it possible that a "good word" from an existing board member could jump him immediately to Basic Member status, and it would keep the Nigerian Oil Ministers at arm's length.

Just sayin'.

Lannis

Lannis, Yes its possible to do move a new member to basic level. I would have to do it manually but its possible so yes.
The member needs to sign up first and then be recommended by a known member. No problems with that at all.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Morgan aka admin
....trustworthy by posting, telling who he is, and interacting, NONE of which needs PM or Photo privileges. But if one of us has invited a guy we know to be a good guy, and he has useful information and we'd like to PM him or he'd like to show his pictures, is it possible that a "good word" from an existing board member could jump him immediately to Basic Member status, and it would keep the Nigerian Oil Ministers at arm's length.

Just sayin'.

Lannis

Lannis, Yes its possible to do move a new member to basic level. I would have to do it manually but its possible so yes.
The member needs to sign up first and then be recommended by a known member. No problems with that at all.
[/quote]

It seems to me that this would solve all our issues on that subject. Nobody here is going to recommend an unknown troll, and if it's a real guy that someone knows even if just by reputation, then the member can say so, and he's in with no limitations.

Lannis

They now do my bidding.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Issues on what subject? This is about communication, not membership qualifications.

Morgan, the balance you're trying to achieve isn't there yet. At this point, working as a basic member, I am unable to send PMs to Novice members.

As a Moderator, I am unable to PM a Novice member on one of my Boards (haven't tried both).

I could easily upgrade my membership status, or post my email address and request that they contact me. But then I wouldn't be able to test these issues out. I don't know what percentage of our active members are at basic level, but there are quite a few, and I assume this security measure is/will be impacting them in the same ways.

Of course I can't tell if Premium members are able to actually PM Novices either.

Should we go to the Mod Board at this point?

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
Issues on what subject?

Issues on the subject of Board Security, specifically attacks by scammers signing up as members and trying to steal info from other members. Morgan chose to reduce the privileges of brand new members to reduce that risk.

That subject.

Lannis

They now do my bidding.

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com