Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Uniontown Ar.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 64
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 21
Newest Members
Ash Cav, MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller
12,213 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, DavidH), 17 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,557
Posts776,499
Members12,213
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Burga007
Hi Stuart, thanks for that information. I need to get a copy of that book - have the pages you posted all come from "DW Munro's 1960 7th edition book" that you referred to in a previous post?......
Hi Burga,
Only the first two pages came from DW Munro's book. The last page I printed out from somewhere, don't remember where.
Here's what you are looking for. It is a useful little book.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Neil, I've just reviewed the data......and the cam numbers in the table correspond to 'Sand Racing' or 'Road Racing' type A Cam. So, if I'm reading things correctly, type A cams should have .001" valve clearence, yes?
I realize I'm repeating what Neil wrote but yes, .001" would be correct for those numbers. BUT, the cams could have been reground. It's worth mentioning since it does have the racing cam numbers in it. I apologize for not mentioning it earlier and if this just adds to the confusion.

One way to know is to inspect the cams closely for signs of re-work ie welding or freshly ground looking wear surfaces, non original (Original was a blued finish) surface finish to the gear, OR, other numbers engraved on it.

Another way is to dive into the technical details and use a degree wheel to identify the cams opening and closing events. You can also observe the base circle (Slight travel on a dial indicator while the valve is closed) for any sign of quietening ramps.

BSA Goldstar on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here's a link to one on Ebay. Probably an earlier version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2040540712...Nm&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
One rider: measuring the cams with a degree wheel, even allowing the 0.018" checking clearance, is likely to result in confusion: I checked many cams (25 years ago though!), very carefully, when picking a set for my road-racer and NONE came close to the factory numbers. This is not a new thing with BSA cams...

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks for the info Stuart. And thanks to everyone for their input to this thread. The good news is, I set the corret valve clearence and the bike sounds really sweet. It runs and rides really well. I couldn't have done it without you!!

1 member likes this: chaterlea25
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
.....The good news is, I set the correct valve clearance and the bike sounds really sweet. It runs and rides really well. .......
Glad to hear it all worked out. Even these simple old things can be a real puzzle at times.

How'd you like using a .001" feeler gauge on those lifters if you even have one? .0015" is as small as most feeler gauge sets go. Imho, it's a real pain. But you can set them to where the push rod is just free to rotate and then go another 1/32 of a turn looser which is .0012" but unfortunately that usually changes on you when the jam nut is snugged up.

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Stuart, well, it took me absolutely ages to get it 'right'. Fiddly is not the word! Time and time again I got it where I thought the gap was right only for it to be massive or none existent once I'd nipped up the lock nut. I ended up grinding a couple of old spanners to give me more room to work with. You're right, my feeler gauge only goes to .0015". I'm hoping I got it right, the bike sounds better than it ever has done. I'll check the gap again to ensure it's correct in a few miles.

Just gotta find the time to ride it now.......my family keep wanting to spend time with me....do they not understand I just want to ride my bikes?! ;o)

Seriously though, thanks again, my knowledge has come on leaps and bounds as a result of this process. It is appreciated.

1 member likes this: Stuart Kirk
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Hi Stuart, well, it took me absolutely ages to get it 'right'. Fiddly is not the word! Time and time again I got it where I thought the gap was right only for it to be massive or none existent once I'd nipped up the lock nut. I ended up grinding a couple of old spanners to give me more room to work with. You're right, my feeler gauge only goes to .0015". I'm hoping I got it right, the bike sounds better than it ever has done. I'll check the gap again to ensure it's correct in a few miles.

Just gotta find the time to ride it now.......my family keep wanting to spend time with me....do they not understand I just want to ride my bikes?! ;o)

Seriously though, thanks again, my knowledge has come on leaps and bounds as a result of this process. It is appreciated.

I've been using mine for daily ride to work in this nice weather. Bit of a faff getting the leathers off and on but having tested boots, gloves and leathers before I have to stick to my rules re protective gear!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com