Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mark Brown
Mark Brown
Michigan's Thumb
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 64
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 21
Newest Members
Ash Cav, MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller
12,213 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, Max), 16 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,557
Posts776,499
Members12,213
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Hi all,

I've been trying to find the age of my Velo - The bike was from my father-in-law who told me that the engine (MSS) was built in 1948 and frame (MAC) is from 1954. The engine number is MSS 7578 and the frame number is 5249-2.

I have a looked through 'Technical Excellence Exemplified' as there is a section in the back of the book with engine, frame and gearbox numbers with no luck..

Would anyone know of resources i can refer to or know what the age of my frame / engine numbers are, please?

regards,
Steve

British motorcycles on eBay
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Steve, join the Aussie Velocette Club, they have all the info for dating.
And you'll always benefit from the combined wisdom!
Also get a copy of Norm Trigg's book 'Norm's Technicalities' (from the club). - Crammed full of dear ol' Norm's knowledge It'll save you massive grief in the future. And join our Forum:

https://velocette.vbulletin.net/

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thanks Jools, much appreciated mate!!

Bry Offline
Life Member
Life Member
Hi Steve, the numbers and dates sound about right. If you take a look at page 183 (post-war production) for the engine and page 182 (MAC RS rear spring) for the frame in "Technical Excellence Exemplified" - assuming you have the same edition as me. Although your frame number is 55 after the last recorded MAC as the subsequent records for this model disappeared as stated therein. I'm not sure about the ...-2 though.

I also checked Tich Allen's book "The Velocette Saga" and the reference there is MSS engines for 1948 are 7467-8304.

Good advice from Jools, Norms Technicalities is essential reading for all Velocette owners.

1937 Rudge Ulster (project)
1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Huge thanks, You've made my day Bry!!

I'm now able to look at new gaskets for her as the timing chain / cover is leaking oil and was being asked for the year etc.

Much appreciation to Yourself and Jools!!

regards,
Steve (A Welshman in Oz)

Bry Offline
Life Member
Life Member
Is it the pressed steel primary drive chain case (on the left hand side if you are sitting on the bike) that’s leaking? …or the cast alloy cover for cam and ignition timing (which is all geared, not chain driven) on the right hand side?

1937 Rudge Ulster (project)
1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Bry,

I'm not 100% sure it is the timing chain, I just thought that as that's where i could see the oil dripping from. Took her for a ride yesterday and the below photos (hope you can view them?) would suggest otherwise? Checked the oil tank this morning and the level is below the minimum mark, have ordered Morris' Straight 40 mineral oil and should be with me tomorrow.

The bike has not been ridden for approx 12yrs until last week.

https://photos.google.com/u/5/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipN1xWacPliZWf7JHz4AiaJ2b3PpgOGtY8xtLFb6

https://photos.google.com/u/5/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMlN3SLoCBYydMI72pLd_uiso_t3Xcb1ehegNqn

https://photos.google.com/u/5/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOUYRS-Nu9CHcVKAEGEc5zPPzXSVFSQLbeD0lym

https://photos.google.com/u/5/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOHrj34lPTL0DmEEn6Qgs9tLhzdabyOb9XcIrtr

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Steve, there's no timing chain on a Velo. You may be referring to the PRIMARY chain on the Left side which takes the engine power from the crankshaft to the clutch.
This chaincase is pressed steel and is notoriously leaky. It carries a small amount of oil to lubricate the chain, - most of which will return to the earth whence it came!
There are 2 types, a screw up PCC and a 'band' type one. They both leak, but the screw up type is only a little better.
Don't assume a PCC leak is coming from around the perimeter joint, oil can exit via 2 apertures in the rear inside PCC half.

I get a 404 error when I hit those links. Try another way, it would be useful to see the pics.

Important: always check the oil return (on an unknown bike) - there should be a slightly intermittent spurt coming out of a little pipe -visible when the oil tank cap is off.

If the oil leak is on the Right side, you'll need to look into it. There are several places oil can seep out, but be aware that the oil-lines that screw into the crankcase - (behind/below the 'africa map' timing cover) MUST be leak-free and airtight. Keep these nipped up, but don't overtighten them, they are easily broken.
Oil level in the tank isn't too critical, as long as it's in the ballpark. Obviously if you're doing a longish run then it should be close to correct level.

Get a new oil filter and fit it - then do your oil change. Remember most Velos 'wet-sump' -which means over time oil can slowly seep down into the crankcase, so keep an eye on tank oil level. I check with a simple stick - I mark it so I can see if the level has dropped - see if oil has wet-sumped over time. If mine sits for more than a few weeks I drain the excess oil from the crankcase, otherwise it can pump up into the combustion space up top. -Depends on the condition of your rings.

A leak-free Velocette is a very rare beast indeed, so don't panic about little seeps here and there. A point to bear in mind is that it's possible to get more oil into the PCC than you put into it. 2 places: there is a crankcase breather system where a little oil can escape from the crankcase past the mainbearing -behind the front drive sprocket - the engine sprocket into the PCC, and also, gearbox oil can escape past the gearbox sleeve-gear into the PCC. SO... keep an eye on the PCC oil level and gearbox oil level. Don't over-fill it, but check now and again to see if you have excessive oil in there. Check that you're getting oil up top to the valvegear. It should appear oily when you check your tappet clearances (which of course you have done eh? :-)

Do join the Velo Club. THE source of info and parts.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Steve,I live about 20 klms out of Murwillumbah and have a venom or more reasonably put, many pieces of a venom awaiting togetherness. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to send a pm and neither are you I presume. I'm no expert but know a few things perhaps helpful to you. Did I see you ride up the main st on monday aft ? I'd rather not put my phone no here, but if you can suggest a way of meeting, other than by chance, I can work something.Or maybe a third party who can pm could connect us. I'll be interested to see your bike as my understanding is the long stroke MSS doesn't fit the RS frame , one of the reasons for the square motor. Maybe, maybe not so. I've had a couple Velos in the distant past, a sportsman bought new and a 1940 mss with a chair, both unfortunately long gone. Cheers for now Eric

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Eric,

That was me riding up main street on Monday smile - my email is [email protected] - send me a mail so i can send my mobile and we can chat and organise catching up :):)

I think i've pinpointed my leak - it's at the top of the engine, directly under the petrol tank, I'm going to change the gasket this arvo and hopefully that does the trick (oil is spraying onto the back wheel / tyre)

speak soon,
Steve

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Steve, when you have the tank off have a close look at the oil union up there that feeds the rockers, nip up but don't over-tighten the hollow bolt, but it needs good dowty washers to avoid leaking there (It may not be the gaskets).

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
You're absolutely right Jools, thought it best to check the bolts first and two were loose - Tightened and the leak is no more!!

I love working on the bike, even though I'm clueless:) smile

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Excellent Steve. The more you work on it the more comfortable with the ol' thing you'll get. At times it may be frustrating, but overall you'll find it pretty satisfying. Best advice on these is, don't rush things, take your time and ask questions!
A Velo is a cut above most of the other brit singles, you may have realised this already.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I hear you Jools!! As I was there I sorted the choke out (wasn't connected properly) and the throttle 'was' sticking which just needed screwing down. All in all, bloody happy with myself and she kicks first / second time now smile

Will keep asking questions!!

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Would be good to see your bike Steve. The previous pic links don't work for me.
Try a different way, or go to our Velocette forum:

https://velocette.vbulletin.net/

-and put them up there:

Cheers buddy.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Steve, I sent you a couple emails with my phone number over the last 2 weeks, perhaps some problem from my end. I'll give you my email and if you see this and wish to talk, please do. [email protected]
Cheers Eric

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com