Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mr Mike
Mr Mike
Cape Carteret, NC
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tom A65LR, Doug P, Magnetoman, wildbill, Nortarly), 18 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,578
Posts776,841
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kevin Online Confused OP
DOPE
OP Online Confused
DOPE
where do the condensors go on a 1969 Tbolt?

this one

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i bought this 69 some time ago and put it into the shop waiting for me to have more time. it has a horribly bodged electrical system-- the PO cut off all the Lucas bullets and replaced them with poor quality blade connectors, which both makes the connections dodgy and made many of the wires too short. he messed up a Boyer install as well, and hooked the black box up to the battery directly, bypassing the ignition switch. complained that the battery wouldnt hold a charge.

anyway, ive got a stock harness coming from british wiring, and for reasons i cant explain clearly to myself im going back to points and rectifier/zener.

taking off what appears to be the perfectly good Boyer and a tympanium too.

ive already got a reasonably good AAU, points plate, and the charging stuff too, but i dont have any idea where the condensor pack goes. this one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

up under the seat, by the rectifier?

under the tank?

someplace else?

anybody have a source for the mounting bracket and cover for these things?

looking for a grab rail too, and the side reflectors.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
BSA on eBay
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
My '67 Lightning originally had a 4CA advance unit and breaker assembly, where the condensers are mounted on the breaker plate. I converted to the 6CA setup and so had to find a place to mount the condensers. I believe I got the bracket and cover (and the condensers) from British Cycle Supply, but it was a long time ago so I can't be sure. I mounted them above the oil tank, under the seat, but again, it was a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly how.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I may still have that stuff; I will take a look.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Hmm, now that I think of it, I may still have that stuff; I will take a look.

Sorry, I went through all my cast-off Lucas stuff, and I don't have one of those brackets or covers. I think you should be able to source it though; try BCS, Walridge Motors, Baxters, etc.

I think I just taped the bracket to the tube steel. Since this does not provide a good ground connection, I must have run a wire from the bracket to ground.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
kevin Online Confused OP
DOPE
OP Online Confused
DOPE
theres a short diagonal horizontal bracket with two holes on the left, under the seat just above the oil tank, forward of the bracket that the rectifier bolts to. maybe the condensors go up thrre?the original harness is too messed up to tell anymore

i can put em anywhere, but im taking this thing back to stock if i can

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by kevin
theres a short horizontal bracket with two holes on the left, under the seat just above the oil tank, forward of the bracket that the rectifier bolts to. maybe the condensors go up thrre?the original harness is too messed up to tell anymore

i can put em anywhere, but im taking this thing back to stock if i can

Yes they do. I would also but a red wire from one of those mounting bolts back to the battery.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
yes , above oil tank
on a diagonal bracket ... with a ground wire ... like allan suggested .
[Linked Image from bringatrailer.com]

kevin Online Confused OP
DOPE
OP Online Confused
DOPE
damn

a picture is worth a thousand words. thank you.

baxter sells the mount NOS, so ill check today there and at BCS.

as far as i can tell from my rudimentary knowledge of BSAs, this one is original save for the later tachometer and silencers.

the harness was a bit of a compromise. this 69 has the later headlamp toggle instead of the earlier rotating 88SA switch, but it has the earlier ignition switch on the headstock instead of the frame. then its got the later oil pressure switch, but has no wiring for later turn signals anywhere. the zener is up under the triple tree too, rather thsn under the seat. so i got the later of several 69-70 harness options with the oil pressure switch and unnecessary turn signal wires, but with the correct zener leads and headlamp toggle. ill run some external jumpers up to the ignition switch.

i think BSA electrical systems were assembled at random from a contually-changing pile of boxes. no other explanation seems to fit.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com