Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mark Brown
Mark Brown
Michigan's Thumb
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 64
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 21
Newest Members
Ash Cav, MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller
12,213 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wilfred), 16 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,557
Posts776,499
Members12,213
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#886809 07/29/22 12:36 pm
D
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I've asked similar before but this will be more specific
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
How are you specials/cafe guys mounting your seat pans?
That one isn't bolted to anything it's literally just sitting on a foam covered bracket that was wedged between the fender and frame.
pO was riding it that way.
Post pics if you have a clever/quick mount or bracket setup
This:[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by DAMadd; 07/29/22 12:38 pm.

65 TR6R 68A65T 69 B44VS. 74 T150V 19 Chieftain
Check out some eBay stuff
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Mine is on an early Featherbed frame. There are two brackets on the rear subframe and a strap that goes across between the rear suspension top mounts. I have made a rectangular seat mounting frame out of 1" x 1/8" mild steel strap that mounts on the motorcycle frame via four small bolts and is held down by thumb wheels from below as per the original early Dominator seat. When I have made the seat base I will mount it on this sub frame by sticking them together with fibreglass.

As your bike is a Triumph with a hinged seat my suggestion would be to make a metal frame that used the seat hinge points and the seat catch so that it will hinge upwards as per the original. The seat needs to be liftable to get to the battery and the oil tank. One of the hinge points will need to be removable so that the seat can be fitted and removed. Then fibreglass the seat base to this frame, using spacers as necessary .

Four rubber buffers between the seat (or its frame) and the motorcycle frame will carry the weight of the rider.

Last edited by sammysnail; 07/30/22 10:06 am.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels, Lyta tank ( project in progress)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines.
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
On my R3OIF I added pins at the frame seat front like the A65 pre OIF and plungers at the rear behind the shock mpunts. The seat pan has hooks at the front and tee shaped supports bolted into the hinge plates. The tees have slots so the seat can move vertically on the cushions. Pull the plungers and the seat comes off like a Norton.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

1 member likes this: Allan G
D
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
is there a metal seat pan there? my tail section is all fiberglass. There aren't any stock hinges or anything. Having just fit s 68 a65 seat, I get what you have done there. Looks good
also PO had no bumpers so seeing yours is helpful (and sammysnails advice)
He obviously cut the hole for the oil cap but I think the seat still hits the high tension leads. hopefully bumpers will fix that

65 TR6R 68A65T 69 B44VS. 74 T150V 19 Chieftain
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The black section is the metal pan from a T140. In the middle I cut it out and put in an arched panel to clear the coils (triple). The original pan had all these holes but not all holes had bumpers. Stupid part is they put bumpers on the hinge side where the pan is supported by the hinges and does not actually sit on the bumpers.This mounting allows the seat to move on the bumpers but not fall off.
You could add mounting tabs by bolting through the fibre glass.
On the Wenco frame racer there is an aluminum arch across the rear of the hump that the seat bolts to. Half round conduit brackets are in the front under the frame rails.

Moderated by  GrandPaul 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com