Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mr Mike
Mr Mike
Cape Carteret, NC
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Carl, Lannis, Big_Jim59, Hugh Jörgen, Tom A65LR), 14 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,578
Posts776,841
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#886914 07/30/22 6:13 pm
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Would there be any information on this site on how to check and adjust the float height on AMAL 930 carbs?

Thank you in advance

BSA on eBay
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Drill a hole in a spare drain plug and fit a hose barb. Use a piece of clear fuel line to make a u tube. Zip tie the free end to the float bowl. Turn the fuel on and check the level in the tube and it should be close to .21" below the top of the float bowl, not the gasket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203741006826

Last edited by htown70; 07/30/22 9:06 pm.
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Does AMAL have a spec for this when fuel is used and when measured from the top of the float bowl when the float is manually pressed?

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by mrcarb
Does Amal have a spec for this when fuel is used and when measured from the top of the float bowl when the float is manually pressed?

there is a spec for fuel level ... but not if you manually press down the float, because this is what the Tickler does
and this is what causes the Bowl to Over-fill and prime the carb .

the AMAL fuel level spec is ... 0.21" plus or minus 0.040" ... below the top edge of the float bowl. ( or between 0 .17 and 0.25 )

the dry float level spec is 0.08" below the bowl , at the back-side away from the pivot .

CBS , has a good write-up of both methods with pictures .
https://www.classicbritishspares.com/blogs/news/amal-concentric-float-height

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
htown70 assumes ALL Concentric carbs had drain plugs.
That feature didn't appear until 1971.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by quinten
the dry float level spec is 0.08" below the bowl , at the back-side away from the pivot .

Might be worth adding that those values are only for the white plastic float, not to be used with the stay-up float

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
The floats were set to .080" below the bowl. When the carb is filled with gas with the clear tube attached the gas level is about 1/4" below the .210" mark on float bowl. So now I have some figuring out to do, should the float bowls be raised and then check the float level again to see if it is closer to the .210" mark?

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Assuming all the parts are original, the float height is changed by using a flat tipped punch and moving the brass needle seat up or down, tapping lightly with a hammer. You do not bend the float tab.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G

Might be worth adding that those values are only for the white plastic float, not to be used with the stay-up float
Do not press down on the needle or tangs to measure this. Correct procedure is to hold the pivot pin in place while inverting the float bowl.
Allan is correct, the right level for the stay-up floats and Premier carbs is closer to level with the top of the float bowl.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by DavidP

Do not press down on the needle or tangs to measure this. Correct procedure is to hold the pivot pin in place while inverting the float bowl.
Allan is correct, the right level for the stay-up floats and Premier carbs is closer to level with the top of the float bowl.

according to AMAL .,
. 08" is correct for all floats . ... allan may believe differently ... and 0.08" is close to the top ,
( more than 1/16" , but less than 3/32 )... or 2 mm

Float level is the same
Method of adjustment is different ( for all plastic float )

.[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/AMAL-stay-up-float-level-sheet-pg-2-jpg.656764/
[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I have always measured by pushing the tangs down while simultaneously holding the pivot pin from rising. Works for me!

Ed from NJ

2 members like this: Allan G, Gordon Gray
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by edunham
I have always measured by pushing the tangs down while simultaneously holding the pivot pin from rising. Works for me!

Ed from NJ

And make sure it’s actually holding the needle down in the seat. Something I got wrong for years.

G

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
There's more than one way to skin a cat .
i like this method .

with lower bowl assembled . ( float , pivot pin and needle )
hold only the pivot pin down with one thumb , on one side ,
The rest of your hand underneath the bowl .( fat thumb to one side , so float will freely swing )
Flip the whole thing upside down ( fingers now on top , thumb on bottom )
and gravity will show you where the float will stop .
( gravity is doing what the fuel will normally do )

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 to that!
Pressing on the needle or the tangs puts more pressure on the needle than fuel under the float ever will.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by DavidP

according to AMAL .,
. 08" is correct for all floats . ... allan may believe differently ... and 0.08" is close to the top ,
( more than 1/16" , but less than 3/32 )... or 2 mm

Float level is the same
Method of adjustment is different ( for all plastic float )

.[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/AMAL-stay-up-float-level-sheet-pg-2-jpg.656764/
[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]

Have you tried adjusting the stayup float to .080” below the top of the float bowl as you could do with the plastic floats, you’d be lucky if it runs. Then check the fuel level and it will be well off.

If you get a brand new carb (and I’ve checked a few as I check each carb I sell) you’ll notice that the float will sit ever so slightly proud of the top of the bowl. With the gasket in place it wouldn’t see the top of the gasket.

Leave them how they come set from Burlen and they will run spot on. Whether it be a pre 72 bike or not. If it runs rich then investigate.

1 member likes this: kevin
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Have you tried adjusting the stayup float to .080” below the top of the float bowl as you could do with the plastic floats

the plastic float isn't adjustable . ( didnt stop many from trying )
[Linked Image from amalcarb.co.uk]
plastic flexes and returns to original shape ... in its plasttic zone .
It must be fractured beyond plastic to take a new set .. ..
Which introduces weakening, micro fractures into the plastic .

one of the touted design points of the metal tabbed stay-up floats is that the metal tabs are adjustable

Last edited by quinten; 08/13/22 6:29 am.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Have you tried adjusting the stayup float to .080” below the top of the float bowl as you could do with the plastic floats

the plastic float isn't adjustable . ( didnt stop many from trying )
[Linked Image from amalcarb.co.uk]
plastic flexes and returns to original shape ... in its plasttic zone .
It must be fractured beyond plastic to take a new set .. ..
Which introduces weakening, micro fractures into the plastic .

one of the touted design points of the metal tabbed stay-up floats is that the metal tabs are adjustable

That answers my question to you in no way at all, it’s also taken out of context by only answering part of it. But I assume a miss understanding. I did not mean by the same method of bending the tang(s) but by setting the top of the float as a datum. Anyway it was a rhetorical question. Hopefully I explain a little better below….

I think we have already established that the seat needs to be adjusted with the plastic float, you could do the same with the stayup float too and this would be my preferred method, however it seems that the new float bowls have much tighter tolerance's around the seat or are bonded - I don’t know.

The old (say 15/20 years ago) you could drop in boiling water and reposition with a suitable drift. The new ones don’t seem to move at all with the boiling water method like this, given the float height works just fine from the factory I have yet to want to change it again.

I did change the stay up float on the tangs with the first one I had (for my own bike) did it to the .08” and had an incredibly lean mixture. Leaving as preset gave me much the same running condition as I had with the top of the plastic float set to .08” from below the top edge of the bowl.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I've installed stayup floats on 7 bikes, either on new Premier's or retrofits. Not sure about the plastic floats but with the stayups you want the float to be just proud of the top of the bowl when you lightly press down the tangs. I've checked all of them with the u-tube method and the just proud setting gives the correct fuel level very close to .21" below the top of the bowl.

1 member likes this: Allan G
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Is the fuel level measurement made with the carb held vertically or when the carb is bolted to the bike?

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
What sort of bike do you have? Is the carb tilted? Shouldn't make much difference whether on the bench or on the bike. Set it close on the bench check it on the bike. On Commandos with titled carbs I always measure at the center of the bowl where the intake needle is.

1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com