Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (t100tiger, Max, NickL, Clay Carley, Guy, Magnetoman, DavidH, desco), 7 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,577
Posts776,831
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Greg H Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Needed to replace the front wheel bearing on my 67 Hornet and the 1967 parts booked called for # 41-6016 and Baxter’s, Steadfast and Classic British Spares all showed unsealed bearings. So, I ordered a pair thinking that’s what’s in there. When I went to remove the bearings they were sealed so there are no “oil retainers” for the unsealed bearings. I went back to the 67 parts book and the picture showed sealed bearings which I didn't notice before. My 66 parts book shows unsealed bearings with the oil retainers.

How important are these oil retainers as the bike will be seldom ridden and only on short rides?

Thanks

BSA on eBay
G
Greg H Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
I'm answering my own question after taking a closer look, if the oil retainers are not used, grease will come out around the middle of the lock ring around the spindle shaft.. Would make a bit of a mess.

G

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
There isn't any grease retainers on the '67 single-sided brake (Hornet) They were discontinued in '67 when sealed bearings were utilized. Also, the locking rings on both sides were changed in '67.

Grease retainers are needed on unsealed bearings.

If using grease retainers on the '67, then the '66 locking rings need to also be utilized.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 BSA Cyclone Competition Build
1965 BSA Spitfire Hornet Build

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com