Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tom A65LR, Steve Erickson, Lannis, R Moulding, NickL, Max), 14 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,577
Posts776,831
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Hello... I hope I can pick everyone's brain and get an idea of what's going with my bike... thanks in advance for any suggestions

I have a 1970 A65L... When I first take it out after sitting a day, it will start after a kick or two... and it runs great when it first starts. Comes off the stop light/sign strong and sounds awesome. I go a few miles on it though and it starts to get "tired". Which is the best description I can think of.... When I stop at a light or stop sign, I need to keep giving it some gas or it sounds like it will stall out... It will need a lil finesse to come off a light/stop sign by giving it more throttle than normal.... It might be unrelated, but it will develop a knock for the first 10-20 yards when I'm first coming off a stop. By the time I get to my destination, which is typically under 5 miles, the thing is ready to stop running. I'll release the throttle and it will stop running. If it matters, I live in a huge city and am forced to make regular stops at lights/stop signs

Could someone share their opinion or offer me some guidance of what this might be? Once again thanks

BSA on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Guessing a burned valve. Try a compression test.

1 member likes this: Chitown guy
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
The symptoms could also be due to the ignition system acting up. First question what type of system does it have?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
If it has points the symptoms are that of failing condensers, went it starts getting tired look at the points when running , big sparks at points= failed condensers.
Other things it might be, carbs set too rich.
Motor slowly seizing. lets hope its condensers.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Another possibility is fuel vapourising in the float chamber. Have you got an insulating spacer between head and carb?

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds like the engine is getting hot with all the stops and starting at the traffic lights.

Some things I would check:-
- are the carbs fitted with the tufnol washers between the carb and inlet manifold? These are designed to prevent heat transfer from the head to the carb, if missing the fuel could vaporize as already mentioned.
- check the tappet adjustment, if too tight the valves may not be closing and sealing. Note that the best way to do this is to turn the engine until one of the inlet valves is fully open then adjust the other inlet valve, same with the exhaust, turn the engine until one exhaust valve is fully open then adjust the other exhaust valve.
- check the petrol tank filler cap isn't blocked, if it is blocked a vacuum may form in the tank and prevent fuel from reaching the carbs
- check the taps and filters aren't gummed up this can happen especially if the tank has been lined with sealant.
- is the oil return to the tank ok? It may be that you are getting a partial seizure

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
1 member likes this: Ignoramus
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
sure sounds like overheating to me but you havent mentioned if it seems really hot?

compression test for sure (hot engine)

sounds very similar to an issue i had with mine ,,, i messed around with everything and nothing helped .

Finally i noticed that the fuel line lay out was pretty dodgy so replaced all the lines in an inverted H pattern ,, problem gone never to return! .... i figure it must have been getting a vapor "bubble" in the fuel lines when it heated up.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If the clutch is tight then heats up it will kill the motor at a stop sign. Had a bike do that. It's unlikely but unlikely happens sometimes.

65 TR6R 68A65T 69 B44VS. 74 T150V 19 Chieftain
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
hope I'm wrong .
Your symptoms sound a little like a soft piston seizure .
where poor ignition timing or inadequate cold piston clearance
Allows the hot piston to expand into the cylinders
... causing excessive friction and power loss . .. goes away when cold

if not too bad , or caught in time , damage is minimal to none .
if bad ... piston material smears onto the cylinder wall .
( some guys like to run their bikes on the rich side ) ... the cooling effect
helps to mitigate some of the piston Heat

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Chitown guy
......I have a 1970 A65L... When I first take it out after sitting a day, it will start after a kick or two... and it runs great when it first starts. Comes off the stop light/sign strong and sounds awesome. I go a few miles on it though and it starts to get "tired" When I stop at a light or stop sign, I need to keep giving it some gas or it sounds like it will stall out...............Could someone share their opinion or offer me some guidance of what this might be? ....
This sounds like the idle may be way too rich. Does it idle nice when it is cold? .Lackluster mid range can be worn needle jets.

Easy starting combined with fading performance as it warms up and bad hot idle can be as simple as those two things. Idle usually speeds up when the engine is warm.

Originally Posted by Chitown guy
...... It will need a lil finesse to come off a light/stop sign by giving it more throttle than normal.... .... it will develop a knock for the first 10-20 yards when I'm first coming off a stop..........
But this knocking is more worrisome. A65 bottom ends are known to be a bit tender.

It could be pinging from low octane fuel, OR a loose con rod, or hopefully a loose primary chain.

I would first be making sure the ignition timing was not too advanced and that it had oil pressure. Run at least a 20-50 oil.

Keep in mind these bikes barely tolerate modern 91 octane fuel at 9 to 1 compression. Some of us run race gas to eliminate this problem and retarding the timing from the stock setting helps too.

Hopefully it isn't seizing up on you as mentioned by Quinten.

Best of luck with it. Let us know what you find.

Stuart

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com