Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (t100tiger, Max, NickL, Clay Carley, Guy, Magnetoman, DavidH, desco), 7 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,577
Posts776,831
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
OK, I'm back. Hope you all had a good weekend. My niece and her husband visited, nice family time. They were up here for the Early Ford V8 western states meet.

I've got the primary cover off and the degree wheel set up using a piston stop. I get 30-31 deg BTDC when the crank hole lines up as described by kommando. Rotor mark is off by about 1/4" off the pointer. I took off the alternator stator and rotor. The Woodruff key has a slight amount of shoring but not enough the catch my fingernail on. With the rotor back in place on the key and the shouldered nut in place but not snugged I can get a noticeable amount of rotational play in the rotor. So I will replace the Woodruff key. Should I do anything else here?

1970 BSA Shooting Star In-work
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Jim Harris
......... With the rotor back in place on the key and the shouldered nut in place but not snugged I can get a noticeable amount of rotational play in the rotor. So I will replace the Woodruff key. Should I do anything else here?
Yes. Snug up the nut and check again for rotational play on the rotor because those rotors come loose on their hexagonal core. This makes an ugly noise, disrupts the accuracy of the timing mark and can even come apart and do damage. This will sound a little extreme but grab the rotor with a big pair of channel locks to look for play. Sometimes they'll bind a little.

2 members like this: Jim Harris, quinten
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
+1
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
If you've ever had what sounded like a rod/bearing knock and tore your engine apart only to find the bearings were all good, you must have overlooked the more likely (and MUCH easier) solution - replacing your failed alternator rotor. The body of the rotor on Lucas alternators have a tendency to loosen off their hubs.

I made my second youtube video ever, verifying what I know was the knocking problem on my '67 Bonneville-

1 member likes this: Jim Harris
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
OK, great advice (a little pun there wink ). I clamped up the rotor just like the video and tried to turn it with channel locks, not budging, rock solid. I looked carefully down the keyway and don't see any problem there. So I'll put in the new Woodruff key and see if it seems more secure.

The rotor nut must have been off before because the tab was buggered. So maybe it's not the original rotor, even though it's stamped "7 70" which is the same as the date code on the engine "HD". Maybe it just came loose sometime before...

Looks like the 41-0673 Woodruff key is 0.1595 x 0.60 x 0.235. That's pretty close to a #6? Is there a suitable substitute or should I go with an OEM part number?

Last edited by Jim Harris; 07/21/22 6:34 pm.

1970 BSA Shooting Star In-work
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Jim Harris
...........Looks like the 41-0673 Woodruff key is 0.1595 x 0.60 x 0.235. That's pretty close to a #6? Is there a suitable substitute or should I go with an OEM part number?
Glad to hear your rotor is tight.
You want the key to be a good tight fit in the crank slot and the rotor slot too. If the slots are a little worn the oem size will possibly be too loose and an over thick key becomes a good solution. This means taking a too thick key and grinding/filing/machining it to snugly fit the slots. This works best if the crank slot sides are still mostly parallel and haven't been worn severely tapered by the key rocking back and forth.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com