Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Uniontown Ar.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 74
kevin 53
Allan G 49
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik
12,157 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Allan G, pidjones, quinten, jimmymckenna, L.A.B.), 33 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,293
Posts772,423
Members12,157
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Does anyone have any experience with using a Wassel Evo or AMAL Premier Carbs when fitted to a B44? When my dad fitted premiers to his commandos, he found them very hard to start without using the choke when cold, one of his neighbours with a 73 T140 had the same when he fitted Wassel evolutions. Does anyone know if the same is true with the B44 or B50. I am fitting a Wassel Evolution to my B44 soon, and I need to decide whether I fit the choke or not. Obviously the B44 didn't have a choke fitted as standard but I have a spare lever and cable of my 71 A65 which is under restoration. Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The AMAL premiers are cold blooded despite the 17 premier pilot jet being the exact same size as the old 25 pilot bush, they now fit 19 premier pilot jets to all Commando carbs they supply. It must be something to do with the extra turns the fuel has to navigate so as the Wassell Evolution is an exact copy then they must be the same. So I would go for which ever I prefer but get it with a 19 pilot jet which is the same as the old 30 pilot.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by kommando
get it with a 19 pilot jet which is the same as the old 30 pilot.
= my experience on B40 with a 626 Premier.

BSA WM20 (1941), BSA A10 (1958), BSA WD B40 (1968), Husqvarna CR 250 (1981), Triumph Tiger 800 XC (2014)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
going back to the original question, choke or no choke.

I fitted new AMAL premiers to both of my B44s. They are radically different states of tune. One has a large valve head, ported, 40 thou over bore, high(er) compression slipper piston, light weight pushrods, lightened rockers, pea nut exhaust.
The other is completely stock.
They have the same jets, needles, and slides and both run just fine.
One carb (the second one) came with a choke, didn't fit it and have not regretted it, though probably would not have regretted fitting it either!
Flooding the carbs and judicious use of the valve lifter seems to work just fine in starting them, though I do have the idle mix a tiny bit (like 16th of a turn) rich. Extended tickover screws are worthwhile, and help reduce the temptation to give it "just a little bit" of throttle while kicking, an absolute no no.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have the old Concentric on my B44 and only use the choke for starting when the bike is hot. Cold starting, I screw the throttle screw in about 1/2 turn, flood the carb and start it without touching the throttle. Starts everytime max 2 kicks. I have the longer kick lever which helps.

Last edited by Roadwarrior; 06/19/22 2:53 am.

Who are the Brain Police?

B44 Victor
60 MGA
56 Chevy

Bob M.
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thank you all for the feedback,

I'm not having any trouble starting (from cold) with the orginal Concentric that is fitted at the moment, however it is warped and the slide sticks so i decided to replace it, and was concerned that that could lead to difficulty starting without the choke as my Dad has seen on his commandoes.

I have made the decision to go with a No19 pilot jet at Kommando's and Pelle's advice.

If my issue with hot starting continues I will look at fitting the choke as Roadwarrior has done

Life member
Life member
I recently pre-ordered a new Premier AMAL 930/38 for my B44 directly from AMAL in the UK. I have no idea when it will be available. I'm trying to keep it mostly original.

Last edited by Gary Caines; 06/25/22 12:18 pm.

Current Bike: 1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1969 BSA Victor Special, 1975 Norton 850 Commando John Player, M1030M1 U.S.M.C. Diesel
Previous British Bikes: 1968 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Firebird Scrambler, 1972 BSA B50 Gold Star, 1974 Triumph Trident
Previous Non-British Bikes: 1983 BMW R80RT
1 member likes this: Allan G
A
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by SamAdamson
Thank you all for the feedback,

I'm not having any trouble starting (from cold) with the orginal Concentric that is fitted at the moment, however it is warped and the slide sticks so i decided to replace it, and was concerned that that could lead to difficulty starting without the choke as my Dad has seen on his commandoes.

I have made the decision to go with a No19 pilot jet at Kommando's and Pelle's advice.

If my issue with hot starting continues I will look at fitting the choke as Roadwarrior has done

I’d order the carb with the choke mechanism and a carb top blanking screw. Then you can fit or remove the choke as you please. Shouldn’t cost any more if you specify it at the time of order

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com