Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (BobV07662, Doug P, triton thrasher, Nortarly, TR7RVMan, Al Eckstadt, sammysnail), 17 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,578
Posts776,841
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Absolutely Fully synthetic isn't good oil for running in new engines, I believe moto guzzi had an issue several years back where they specced fully synthetic oil from new and the fully synthetic oil didn't allow the engine to wear enough to run in, this made them burn oil which led to low oil running which damaged the engines. When i finish my A65T i will run the first 500-1000 miles on mineral/semi synthetic oils before switching to a fully sythetic.

It currently doesn't have the B50 breathing conversion done, Its something i will look into when the engine needs a rebuild but for now everything seems fine so i will leave it until after my A65 if finished.

With the oil filter one of the reasons for fitting it is the increase in oil capacity and hopefully some cooling effect, I'm not particulalry bothered about it being hidden away.

BSA on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Just an update on the clutch issue, yesterday i fitted the surflex clutch plates and was suffering with significantly more slip than before i had fitted them (only testing slip on the kickstart), Long story short i eventually realised that the clutch pack was thinner with the new plain and friction plates and this was causing the spring cups to bottom out in the clutch centre i refitted the flattest of the original plane plates to increase the thickness and the slip improved greatly i can still slip the clutch using the kickstart against compression but only if i kick very aggressively I hope to test the bike tomorrow to see what the improvement is like when riding the bike.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
If the clutch is slipping whilst applying pressure to the kick start, it hasn't a snowball in hell chance when you open the throttle and ask it to propel the bike forward

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
If the clutch is slipping whilst applying pressure to the kick start, it hasn't a snowball in hell chance when you open the throttle and ask it to propel the bike forward

Andy……I’m going to “sort of disagree”. I set up my unit single clutches light enough where you can’t normally kick it through compression. I do it so I end up with the lightest clutch pull at the lever I can get.

There’s no way a B44 with good compression should be started against compression anyway……there’s that starting drill.

I have a hill in my neighborhood that I test my clutch adjustments on. If it’ll make it up that hill in third gear……I’m good.

Can’t say that works for any other motorcycle but it works for my BSA unit singles. (and that’s what the OP is working on)

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/10/22 10:54 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
T
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
T
I’ve seen big single clutches that would slip if you stood on the kickstart, yet worked well on the road.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I was informed from the shop that i bought the clutch springs from that some slip on the clutch from the kickstart is possible with the engine being unable to slip the clutch under acceleration.

Some "fag packet" maths seems to back this up, If you assume the engine generates around 28ftlbs of torque at peak, with a 3.5;1 primary ratio you would expect a maximum of 98ftlbs torque to be applied to the clutch from the engine, I'm less sure on kickstart ratio's but i believe the it is 2.25;1 which means to get 98ftlbs of torque on the clutch you would need to apply around 43.5ftlbs on the kick start lever or with a 7" lever a downwards force of around 75lbs on the kick start spring, This is around 1/4 of my weight so i think its very reasonable to assume that i can apply more torque on the clutch with the kickstart than the engine can.

obviously i could have the ratios wrong and there are other factors to consider to get an accurate number but i still think that it will be possible toapply more force to a clutch with the kickstart than with the engine.

I will of course update when i have done a road test (hopefully tomorrow) to update on if the clutch still slips

Life Member
Life Member
Sam, be aware there are different springs and cups for those bikes. Long springs in short cups…..or short springs in long cups can cause some grief.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: SamAdamson
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by SamAdamson
I was informed from the shop that i bought the clutch springs from that some slip on the clutch from the kickstart is possible with the engine being unable to slip the clutch under acceleration.

Some "fag packet" maths seems to back this up, If you assume the engine generates around 28ftlbs of torque at peak, with a 3.5;1 primary ratio you would expect a maximum of 98ftlbs torque to be applied to the clutch from the engine, I'm less sure on kickstart ratio's but i believe the it is 2.25;1 which means to get 98ftlbs of torque on the clutch you would need to apply around 43.5ftlbs on the kick start lever or with a 7" lever a downwards force of around 75lbs on the kick start spring, This is around 1/4 of my weight so i think its very reasonable to assume that i can apply more torque on the clutch with the kickstart than the engine can.

obviously i could have the ratios wrong and there are other factors to consider to get an accurate number but i still think that it will be possible toapply more force to a clutch with the kickstart than with the engine.

I will of course update when i have done a road test (hopefully tomorrow) to update on if the clutch still slips

You've gone the wrong way with your maths. With the figures you supplied to get 98 ft/lb on the clutch you will need to apply 220lb to the kickstart

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Yes i realised when i had a little bit more time to think that the numbers probably aren't correct, i'm not sure the ratio for the kickstart is close anyway so i think that was a waste of time, This can be an issue with ball park figures.

But i can confirm that the clutch holds fine even at high throttle openings in high gears up hills, even with some slight slip on the kickstart so i'm happy with the current set up

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com