Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MaaseyRacer
MaaseyRacer
Marin, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 74
kevin 53
Allan G 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik
12,157 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mark Parker, Gordon Gray, BobV07662, L.A.B., Doug P, tri650cc), 33 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,296
Posts772,437
Members12,157
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
I’ve just bought a 1959 A10 GF in RGS clothing. I have noticed play in the steering head and need to check if it is an adjustment problem or whether I need to renew bearings.

I’ve loosened then steering head nut (loosening the dampener as I go) to reveal the adjuster sleeve. I loosened the fork stanchion lower pinch bolts and was about to attempt to tighten the sleeve to draw the upper and lower yokes together to reduce the play when I noticed that the top fork stanchions have been painted.

1. Will this affect the ability to draw up the adjuster sleeve?

2. Will I need to loosen / remove the clip-on handlebars?

3. Are there any wider implications of painting top stanchions?

I’m not sure I have the appetite / skill to do a bearing renewal myself so hoping to take the easier option.

Any help would be much appreciated

Dave

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
If your only adjusting the play in the bearings then the gap your removing will be thousands of an inch and not mm. I wouldn’t even bother slackening the punch bolts. Make your adjustment on the castellated adjuster then refit the top nut.

If you decide to drop the forks out, removing the top yoke and castellated adjuster will allow this. If you have no history of the bike then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to check the condition of the races and re-grease. You could also check the condition by removing the slack and ensuring that there is no play by pulling on the fork sliders. but ensuring that the forks can still flop side to side. And check for any roughness will indicate new bearings required.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com