Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Derbyshire UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 74
kevin 53
Allan G 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik
12,157 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (gunner, tiger_cub, D.Bachtel, Lannis, raf940, desco, Robert Dentico, Dave Comeau), 25 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,295
Posts772,430
Members12,157
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AZScott Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
I need some help on how to wire a U39 switch. When I purchased this 1951 ZB31 it has a military 4 position switch (Off –T- L- H) that was intermittent. I have since purchased a U39 three position switch.

I would like to set it up so that when the headlights are on (3rd position), the pilot light that is in the headlight shell below the headlight bulb goes off. It would be easy to have it stay on with the headlights but I can’t believe that was the original intent. This switch has a spring loaded rocker system with cam that bridges the conector 1 and 6. (Rocker is connected to contact 6 in “OFF” position, disconnected from both 1 & 6 in the “L” position, and in the “H” position it is connected only to contact 1)

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

65 Triumph Bonneville
51 BSA ZB31
BSA on eBay
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Power to 3, headlight to 2, pilot light to 4 and tail light and speedo light to 5. Ignore the rockers.
Some switches have a link from terminal 5 to the centre of the cam which is alloy. Switches with a Bakelite cam have an internal link.

A
AZScott Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Thank you! I hate to admit it but this thing had me stumped. I thought “Power” had to go to 5 or 6. Again thanks for responding. The positions you laid out work exactly the way I need it.

65 Triumph Bonneville
51 BSA ZB31

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com