Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tridentman, Hugh Jörgen, Lyle), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Rich B
I haven’t seen what I would call a lot of “desire” for new tanks. But lots of thread drift.

The hardware (cap, petcock bungs) is going to affect price. 1/4” pipe to use modern flat track style petcocks with an off the shelf screw in cap is going to keep it below $400. 3/8” BSP bungs and correct Monza cap, I am going to guess $425+.

I have a new tank for the race bike on the way. He told me 2+ weeks since I wanted specific bung location, it shipped in less than a week. Ethanol resistant materials and Caswell lined, $360.

I will post some pics of the tank after I get it.

Thank you Rich. Really not a bad price IMO. If your guy could copy the stock tank and someone's looking for a solid tank and wants to keep it as stock as possible....seems like a good fit.

For me, since I'm not interested in winning awards......just trying to get home without a leaking tank or sticking throttle ( I've had both with fiberglass) It makes the Tab Classics alloy tank look that much better. I'm spending $200+ more (w/shipping) for a hand made (UK) polished alloy tank w/ 2.5" Monza Cap and don't have to worry (I hope) about what I put in it.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/03/22 1:26 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
SOUNDS LIKE THE SMART WAY TO GO. WHO DID YOU PURCHASE IT FROM AND WHAT WAS THE TOTAL COST?

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Life Member
Life Member
Tab Classics

They're located in Wales. Very fast email reply to my inquiry. Follow ups were fast too. 8-10 weeks lead time which isn't a problem for me. The tank will be completed and they'll send photo's before I pay anything.

Reading the "ABOUT US" makes me even feel better about the purchase.....well worth checking out IMO.

It's ALL Allan's fault, I'd never heard of them before. OH........and I have to blame Alex too..........damn those boys. laughing I'm my worst enemy and it doesn't take much poking to get me fired up.

The total included shipping to the US ......contact them.

It's certainly NOT a cheap alternative but it IS another option.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/03/22 1:29 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: Allan G
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
The sticking throttle is super dangerous. The vinyl ester has had no such problem, but polyester did, along with seeping. Alloy sounds great, you could paint part and polish part of it as well if you wanted. Like Spitfire Ken's photo, except the red a nice yellow and the white polished, I think would look really nice. Wear sunnies.

mark
Life Member
Life Member
Mark wrote "The sticking throttle is super dangerous"

WARNING>>>>>THREAD DRIFT!!!

Happened to me twice. First time was a Norton Commando. North Carolina didn't have ethanol back then.......but Ohio did. Filled up after leaving the flat track at Mid-Ohio one year. By the time (30 miles?) I got back to the campsite I was having to manually close the throttle???? Next morning the throttle wouldn't move. My first introduction to ethanol and fiberglass.

Second time, lined fiberglass B44 Roadster tank. Lined with Bill Hirsch liner (before using ethanol) Lasted 6 years, but on a group ride in Shady Valley TN, the throttle started sticking. Made it back to the campground but couldn't ride it any more like it was. Washed out the Hirsch with acetone and tried Caswell X2. NOT knowing that if the fiberglass has been attacked by ethanol already........the Caswell wasn't going to solve the problem.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/03/22 4:14 pm.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I didn't read all three pages of this thread, but I'm not getting how ethanol fuel or a fiberglass fuel tank causes a sticky throttle.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
^^From the melted glass gumming up the carb.

2 members like this: Gordon Gray, Allan G
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I didn't read all three pages of this thread, but I'm not getting how ethanol fuel or a fiberglass fuel tank causes a sticky throttle.

Oh lord Mark....... it's ETHANOL AND OUR OLDER FIBERGLASS TANKS.........................it can be a gooey mess. Dark brown, sorta like molasses. Coats the slide. Left to sit it will freeze up the carb slide completely. First sign is you have to close the throttle manually......it's gets worst not better and doesn't take a lot of time to stop you all together.

Like Leon said....the ethanol breaks down the fiberglass......can cause a leak but sometimes it gets in the carb/fuel before you see a leak.

That's why Rich's ( the OP) guy coats his NEW fiberglass tanks.......just in case.

Tank liners in steel are usually for pin holes in the bottom. Tank liners in fiberglass are to protect it from ethanol.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/04/22 11:34 am.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
It breaks down the resin (not the fiberglass) to a liquid, then when the fuel evaporates the resin is left behind in the carb.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 BSA Cyclone Competition Build
1965 BSA Spitfire Hornet Build
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Gary E
It breaks down the resin (not the fiberglass) to a liquid, then when the fuel evaporates the resin is left behind in the carb.

Gary......thank you for clearing that up.....I just lump it all into one....incorrectly.

Tale tell signs it's going on are.......sticking throttle, bubbled paint or a leak. IME once that happens the tank is junk YRMV.

All that said.....Rich's guy is using a ethanol resistant material....PLUS a sealer.

I'm shocked someone like Mark Z hadn't heard about it.......but by now it's old news and most folks have moved on to either sealers or another material for tanks.

Thread drift at it's finest........Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/04/22 2:06 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Have no idea why anyone would build a new tank with polyester resin then coat it with epoxy resin. You add weight, and another step in your process along with additional cost. Plus if you don’t get that epoxy in every nuck and cranny of the tank your chance of failure is highly likely.
Since it’s the the polyester resin that is affected by the ethanol why not use epoxy resin in the first place. Liquid form, or pregreg is available.
One could even offer carbon fiber tanks.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Why not just buy a QUALITY made alloy tank? Then paint it if you can bare to cover it! They are out there, not cheap, but neither will this new item be inexpensive.

7795B405-512A-4B96-85C8-D7BE136BA9F1.jpeg
Last edited by KC in S.B.; 06/05/22 2:22 pm.

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65L numbers match, “best effort” from basket *
Gone:
‘66 A65L“in ‘95 getting back in the game”+ empty ‘67 Case&Frame *
‘69 A65L
‘68 A65L “red bike” basket, sold & made whole by BB member
‘68 A65F nice Tribute bike
‘65 A50L bitsa from spare parts, Son’s fun
‘62 A10 Spitfire
‘65 T120R sad case, saved by BB member
'65 XLCH “scratched THAT itch”……
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Fibre glass tanks are technically illegal in california for road use. Not much point in making a tank for off-road only since very few of these bikes will go there.

R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I received the tank and seat from Kevin yesterday! Quite nice.

But, based on what I have seen of the interest….I am not going to waste Kevin’s time.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I’ve had enough issues with glass tanks that I don’t want to mess around with liners and such. On my race bikes made with modern resins I still emptied them at the track in the pits before they went in the trailer. Nothing works better than nothing, as it were. On my ‘68 Spitfire Mk IV, I did what someone else mentioned above— I bought an Indian tank pre-painted and without any insignia on the tank. It isn’t a perfect show worthy visual match (although close) but it works great on a daily rider and won’t melt, of course.

Although I’ll stop short of a recommendation because my experience is limited, I got this BSA tank and a T140 Triumph tank from an outfit on eBay called Royal Chopper and haven’t had any issues yet, after several years. FWIW.

Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by linker48x
......snip....Although I’ll stop short of a recommendation because my experience is limited, I got this BSA tank and a T140 Triumph tank from an outfit on eBay called Royal Chopper and haven’t had any issues yet, after several years. FWIW.

I believe this could be the same fellow who I sent a failed fiberglass B44R tank ....to have copied in steel. Parvinder Ahuja aka Sunny.

Got the steel copy back in 2015. Still on the bike (fit perfectly) and has been trouble free all this time.

I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/07/22 1:01 pm.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com