Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (grumps65, Magnetoman), 18 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#881857 05/30/22 3:49 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
My other bike is a '95 Honda DOHC 750. The other day I decided to run the engine whilst it was in the garage (it starts better if run frequently), so I let it run on tick-over for a while. However, I got distracted then went in the house to do other tasks- and forgot about the bike! It must have been an hour or more when I went to the garage and it dawned on me what I'd done! The Honda runs very quiet which does not help. The engine had stopped and was very hot! I pressed the start button but there was no response (I don't think the oil light was lit) so I left it to cool off till the morning, and to my relief it started and ran as normal. Fuel level ok. Ambient temp. was cool around 15-18c.

Now my question is, has anyone had similar experience on their air-cooled BSA singles or twins?

a
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Loud pipes save bikes.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
1 member likes this: Mark Parker
DOPE
DOPE
i know a guy who did that with a mid 70s Honda civic. came back and th epipes were red hot, running on the choke.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by semprini
Now my question is, has anyone had similar experience on their air-cooled BSA singles or twins?

Not yet.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by semprini
..... so I let it run on tick-over for a while......... and forgot about the bike! It must have been an hour or more.......Now my question is, has anyone had similar experience on their air-cooled BSA singles or twins?
BSA singles and twins won't usually idle that long on their own. Which is probably a good thing.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Built in design feature on Britbikes to prevent overheating!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now my question is, has anyone had a similar experience on their air-cooled BSA singles or twins?

I can't say I've had a similar experience with any of my bikes, and with your bike hopefully, little damage has been done, but what I would suggest is changing the oil and filter, going for a long ride, and seeing if anything untoward appears.

I know that following re-boring and honing, the general idea is to ride off immediately after starting, this helps the rings bed into the cylinders.

With a bike that's already run in, letting it idle in the garage for an hour or so without additional cooling might cause it to overheat and nip up and stop, but in a gentle way, so with any luck there is little if any damage.

Try doing a compression test and oil pressure test to get an idea of the engine condition.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Right, I'll certainly change the oil and filter, then do the other suggestions.

a
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It may have gotten so hot it vapor locked!!

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I hope so, although the carbs are well insulated, but the bottom of the tank was quite warm, although not as warm as it would get in say parts of Spain. The electric starter was inoperative at the time as though it was disconnected.

a
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Years ago I had an appointment on a very hot day at the Jersey shore, temps well into the 90's. I go in to the appointment and come out 6 hours later to find that not only had I locked myself out of my truck, but I had left the engine running. I called AAA, who took another 2 hours to get there and got my truck unlocked. I was sure that the gauges were going to show dangerously high temperatures and a close to empty gas tank. Nope. Temp gauge needle was right where it should be and the fuel needle hadn't budged. Thank heaven for liquid cooling!

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Do you think it got lonely and lost the will to run?
Quite probably the top end got very hot, to the point that at speed would cause a catastrophic siezure.

However, it was merely idling, so as soon as it tightened up a bit, it stopped.
Probably little or no damage done.
I wouldn't even worry about the oil, but if it makes you feel better then change it.

1 member likes this: NickL
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If I am tuning a my BSA at idle for some time, I put a fan on the engine to help keep it cool. Ain't the same as going 50 mph but it pulls away some of the heat. OTOH water-cooled motors with thermostats allow engines to run for hours at idle.

Mr Mike

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I first got the colorTune back in the 70's I would spend forever tuning the engine and of course the longer it took, the hotter th e carb & fuel got so the leaner the flame so more adjustments .
Now days I have a spare tank ( from a lawnmower ) with a tap on it
So the bikes get tuned without their tanks off and the carb hooked up to the auxillary tank which used to hang off the Hills Hoist.
If it can't be done with a pint of petrol then something major is wrong ,

When we had the courier business, I went to pick up one of my riders bikes from the repair shop for him and blow me down if he did not use an almost idential system with a fuel can handing from one of those IV drip stands which stood between two service bays

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hills hoist sounds the business.

Yea, I bought a bottle with tap from Ebay, I cannot reach the idle screws with the tank on very well. I just sit it up near the steering head when running. So a hills hoist or go through the skip-bin at the Hospital.

It sounds like the Honda battery may have been a bit flat. Turning it off and leaving it can let it recover quite a bit. I left the lights on with my car and after about an hour or two and dim yellow glows, it would not crank and start. I left it for 15 minutes or so turned off, and it then started. It probably did nothing to it. Especially if liquid cooled.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

mark
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Might sound silly but you do needa bit of a pressure head to check if the float is working properly & not leaking
Now I have a reliable pressure tester I flip them upside down and check the carb will hold 15 psi .
That number comes from oe of the mower manuals and seems to work OK as there is not much difference between the float on a mower carb & an AMAL carb .

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com