Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (drp, russrudolph, BrizzoBrit, JubeePrince, Vincent Esposito, Gordon Gray), 22 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dresda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi, we recently acquired a '69 Firebird with the two pipes on the left style exhaust system.

We are wondering if the left side has a special exhaust clamp with a few fins ground off as there doesn't seem to be much room there with the right side pipe coming underneath.

We need to buy a set and want to make sure we get the correct ones.

Previously: 1971 BSA Thunderbolt, 1968 BSA Firebird, 1969 Dresda Trident
Current: 1969 BSA Firebird
BSA on eBay
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hello dresda, good question. I have a 71 FBS and at some point will have to come up with the correct answer. Till then, I am guessing that it does not have clamps. This guess is based on a photo of one for sale in Florida for over $8k U.S. which does not have them.
A better way to identify would be to find the parts book for the 1969 FBS and see if there is a parts number for the clamps. I downloaded the parts book for the model year 1971 from one of the parts vendors here at Britbike. The download includes all the parts for the Lightning, the Thunderbolt, and the Firebird Scrambler for the model year 1971. This is a copy of the factory publication so it should be pretty spot on. I can look in the 71 parts book at some point.

Other members are more expert than myself and might chime in. I have a photo of a marvelous Rickman-BSA and it has no clamps lending to my guess that they may not have been used.

Last edited by Bustednukel; 05/25/22 8:03 pm. Reason: FSB=Russian SS, FBS=Brit Bike
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi, FWIW, to avoid any confusion,…. 2c . I believe those things are not there as a clamp to keep the pipes in place. Wish they were actually as I think the pipe in head is a weak design as manufactured. Just my opinion as they get older and wear into a sloppy fit.
Anyhow, I think they are simply show, or possibly do help “seal” the pipe leakage against the head, and with heat dissipation? The clamp action is only there to keep them in place. If proper on a ‘69 FB IS an interesting question!
—————————————-
Just looked at the complimentary CBS parts book you can download from above. Item #16, “Finned Collar”, does show it as used on F, (Firebird). (To bad iPad PNG format screenshot will not load on this site)

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 05/25/22 3:05 pm. Reason: Parts book ref

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65L numbers match, “best effort” from basket *
Gone:
‘66 A65L“in ‘95 getting back in the game”+ empty ‘67 Case&Frame *
‘69 A65L
‘68 A65L “red bike” basket, sold & made whole by BB member
‘68 A65F nice Tribute bike
‘65 A50L bitsa from spare parts, Son’s fun
‘62 A10 Spitfire
‘65 T120R sad case, saved by BB member
'65 XLCH “scratched THAT itch”……
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by dresda
Hi, we recently acquired a '69 Firebird with the two pipes on the left style exhaust system.

We are wondering if the left side has a special exhaust clamp with a few fins ground off as there doesn't seem to be much room there with the right side pipe coming underneath.

We need to buy a set and want to make sure we get the correct ones.

Those "finned clamps" are actually aftermarket heat-sinks to reduce cylinder-head temperatures on Britbikes, and are generic. The '69 Firebird did not come stock with them.

As you probably already have found if you've had it apart at all, the Firebird pipes are not "clamped" to the head. There is no "spigot" to slide onto and clamp like some Triumphs. The header pipes simply slip into the exhaust ports, and are held there because the Firebird pipes are held immobile by being bolted to each other, to the engine mount, and to the rear passenger peg mounts.

All A65s have to have some way of "triangulating" the pipes so that they will stay in the heads. On some models, it's a flat strap bolting the pipes to each other near the head. On others, it's a crossover pipe between the headers. On the Firebird, the pipes have mounting tabs made onto them to bolt to each other and to the frame.

Now, if you like the idea of better cooling of the heads, and aren't bothered by the appearance of the finned heat-sinks, you can find some that will clamp on to the header pipes, but it won't be "clean" unless you machine and handwork the finned things ....

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
D
dresda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi, I had a couple of A65s previously (I've updated my sig file now listing them) and they both had the finned clamps. They are also shown in the parts book and shop manual, so they did come on the bike.

I've just ordered some parts from British Cycle Supply and they are including a copy of the parts book so I'll be able to look up the part numbers then. The free ones I've found online are really hard to read.

I also know they aren't 'necessary' but the bike just looks wrong without them smile

And I DON'T want a pair of those ones with the huge fins, yuk.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by dresda
Hi, I had a couple of A65s previously (I've updated my sig file now listing them) and they both had the finned clamps. They are also shown in the parts book and shop manual, so they did come on the bike.

I've just ordered some parts from British Cycle Supply and they are including a copy of the parts book so I'll be able to look up the part numbers then. The free ones I've found online are really hard to read.

I also know they aren't 'necessary' but the bike just looks wrong without them smile

And I DON'T want a pair of those ones with the huge fins, yuk.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're right .... I have a picture that the original owner of my bike gave me from when he brought the bike home from the dealer, and it didn't have the "finned collars", so I assumed none of them did. And in the Parts manual, it shows the "finned collar" on the Lightning and Thunderbolt pictures with the flat strap connection, but not on the Firebird. HOWEVER, the part number list shows the applicability being "L,T,R,F" which means all the '69 models, so you can't go by the picture. The rest of the info I'll stand by, although you probably already knew it ..... !!

Happy parts hunting!

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
It may be academic to the OPs question, but the 71 parts book does not list the finned clamp for the FBS.

D
dresda Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Bustednukel
It may be academic to the OPs question, but the 71 parts book does not list the finned clamp for the FBS.

Not at all! I was about to ask someone to look it up.

I realized yesterday that the image from the shop manual and the parts book drawings would have been done in advance of actually starting to build and sell that model year of Firebird. So it is not inconceivable that the chap in charge of assembling that part of the bike on the shop floor would have discovered that it was impossible to put that clamp on the left pipe with so little clearance.

I spent some time last evening searching for photos of the '69 and later Firebirds and didn't find a single one that actually had the clamps installed.

I squinted my way through a 1970 parts book online and found that the usage of this clamp isn't attributed clearly to a Firebird.

I conclude from this that while the '68 had these 'clamps' on the previous style of exhaust system (one pipe on each side), the later ones didn't.

Emmbeedee and I discussed the usage and reason behind these clamps last evening (we met over a BSA/Norton parts counter so this is not an unusual subject for us) - The Norton finned piece actually threaded into the head to attach the pipe On the Triumph it was a clamp that tightened the pipe onto a stub out of the head. On the BSA it was just a thing around the pipe that served no function in attaching the pipe to the head.

Last edited by dresda; 05/26/22 12:46 pm.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The 68 bikes have 1.5” pipes, the 69 on bikes have 1 3/8” pipes also the bends on the 68 are not as tight as the later bikes.

As for aesthetics, it’s a personal thing. I have a Siamese system on my 68, ceramic coated black and haven’t fitted exhaust fins. Personally it looks better without them, but chrome pipes seem to look better with.

You could always modify the head if you wanted proper header supports, either machine for a threaded collar, or weld in some threaded bosses so that it would accept a collar like on some Japanese bikes, and then tack weld a ring around the header pipe for it to ride up against. The options are many

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: dresda
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi - thought about starting a new thread for a friend but this one is in the right area.

Friend has a '69 Firebird and the silencers ( both on LH side ) are showing signs of rust/rotting out on the inside faces, so he is thinking they will have to be replaced soon.
Does anyone know if they were also fitted to any other BSA models ( increasing the chance of finding replacements ) or alternatively has anyone found suitable alternatives ?
He has looked at ones for a Triumph TR6C ( available here in the UK ) and they are similar if not exactly the same shape, but have fixed threaded bosses for brackets and the originals have a slot to slide the mounting bolts in.

Any advice most welcome,

Phil

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
They are probably identical to A10 silencers but it would come down to if the mounts line up.

Have you tried Classic Bike Shop for silencers?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi Allan - that was my initial suggestion as well. Will see where he's at next time I see him. cheers Phil

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com