Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Ian Ashdown
Ian Ashdown
SoCal
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 32
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Brian Brown, jpjohn, Magnetoman, DAMadd, Rohan), 23 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,513
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
All i can say WOW and damn it. You And fay will be missed for sure.

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Richrd #880305 05/11/22 10:13 pm
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Richrd
Lannis, you don't need no doctor when you got us!

He might need a doctor BECAUSE of us............just sayin.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
2 members like this: Semper Gumby, Howard Inough
Richrd #880324 05/11/22 11:44 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Richrd
Lannis, you don't need no doctor when you got us!

I'd almost be willing to bet on that, but the stake I'd have to put up would be a little high .... !

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
2 members like this: Howard Inough, Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by DavidP
I'll be there Thursday, but I'm not bringing a bike.
Save me a seat on the chase van. laugh

Throttle hand giving you problems David?????? ( mentioned on another thread)

OR.......hopefully you're just kidding.

Gordon
I saw a doctor on Monday, can't tell if it's RA or CTS, but she didn't say that I couldn't ride. I did 120 miles for 100/100/100 without difficulty, but that wasn't all day twisties.
It's really a combination of things. The weather forecast for Saturday is rain, I just finished the base coats on the Bonneville tank but I don't have time or weather to shoot the clear, the Trident is really geared too tall for that ride. Did I mention the threat of rain?
If you think I ride slowly, you should see me in the rain. I had a bunch of cars waiting to pass the last time I rode 180 in the rain. laughing
I'll be tent camping, the Toyota gets twice the gas mileage as my van. I'll call or text somebody when I get to Shady Valley to see if y'all need some ice.

Sorry to hear that Lannis, I always enjoy your company.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
Life Member
Well crap David........

The weather is a toss up. Right now those fellows are enjoying wonderful weather up there ( thank goodness) Saturday looks like a chance of "light rain" which means the roads could be wet. My bet is we'll see a little but not some of the epic downpours we've had in the past.

Yes sir, I understand the "slow" thing and I don't get faster on wet roads either. Looking at the group that will be there......I might bail on the ride and just go hang out with the tree huggers in Damascus.

Lannis was my "ace in the hole"........I was going to tuck in behind him and I knew he'd take care of me (and our pace) but that's changed now.

LAST thing I want to do is have those fast fellows waiting for me...( not that Lannis can't ride fast if he want to) ........I'm not going to let that happen.

As richrd has said many times.........."it's NOT about the ride."

We'll see you Friday and I'll call in too to see if somebody needs me to pick up anything on my way in.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: Howard Inough
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Gordon you are going to ride lannis or no lannis. It will be a relaxed pace besides there is a good chance i will be 2 up like the beach ride. The weather according to the tv is looking better also.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by bill50cal
Gordon you are going to ride lannis or no lannis. It will be a relaxed pace besides there is a good chance i will be 2 up like the beach ride. The weather according to the tv is looking better also.

laughing........."relaxed pace". Who's gona tell Evelyn ( Evelyne?) she can't wear her leathers and drag a knee?????? Damn sure ain't gona be me!!!! laughing

I'll put my big boy pants on and give it a go........ thumbsup

I DO owe it to ya.

Gordon....who's trying to get Friday off so he can slip up there earlier.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sure has been quiet here. Anyone left alive?

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
a ducati
Another couple triumphs
and no Honda?
but another triumph
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Hey, YOU'RE the guys who have been down there riding and rallying and camping and BBQ'ing and fettling and getting rained on and dragging knees .... while the rest of us lonely, deprived, jealous, idle souls have been waiting for some word of how it all went.

Get a wiggle on and show us and tell us how it all went!

Lannis

3 members like this: Howard Inough, BeezaBryan, David in Atlanta
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Well there was 3 things we did not have. Fog, ice and YOU. Sorry you did not make it as a good time was had by all.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Life Member
Life Member
[Linked Image]

Crappy cell phone but you get the picture............(pun intended) "Campground TV"

Don't like talking much (which is hard for me) until I know folks are home safe and sound. I got the easiest drive and I'm home already.

Wonderful weekend.....hats off to Windy and Evelyn for a GREAT time. They BOTH excelled at being hosts.

Missed Lannis but had Seltz family representing. thumbsup

I was flooded with memories. smile frown

No riders rode the chase truck and everybody made it back to camp unscathed. thumbsup clap thumbsup clap

To be continued........G

PS.......12 riders. 4 Nortons, 3 BSAs, 3 Triumphs, a Guzzi and a Honda. Pretty good vintage British turnout. clap

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/15/22 4:04 pm.

4 members like this: Howard Inough, royaloilfield, PINEMONKEY, BeezaBryan
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Lannis
.... while the rest of us lonely, deprived, jealous, idle souls have been waiting for some word of how it all went.

Get a wiggle on and show us and tell us how it all went!

Lannis

What he said.

Steve

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140LE TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Life Member
Life Member
At this point I'm the only one home (?).....everyone else is on the road.

richrd took the most photos. I took a handful but.......left my camera in the tent Saturday morning. Show of hands of others that have experienced that in the past? smile

There will be photos and a tale or two.........keep yer knickers up laughing

G (aka Pokey)

PS......okay one more photo. richrd took this of me Saturday (day of the ride) morning at breakfast.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/15/22 5:40 pm.

2 members like this: Howard Inough, BeezaBryan
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Home. Film at 11

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
a ducati
Another couple triumphs
and no Honda?
but another triumph
Life Member
Life Member
Folks are checking in as they make it home.......so far so good.

[Linked Image]

I caught this one at the EXACT moment Mike G sharted and those three immediately had flashbacks to when it had happened to them.....it's all in the timing. laughing That look on Mike's face is priceless. ( okay he really didn't shart.....but I thought the caption was funny)

I only pulled my camera out Friday when I got to camp.......with best intentions of taking photos all weekend. But that just didn't pan out. Once I put it up Friday.....it never came out again. thumbsdown richrd was taking pics........he'll come through for us. There was a group photo taken....twice but we still left out a couple. (pun intended)

Speaking of richrd..........................I owe him a HUGE apology and I want to do it in public for anybody that might have heard me give him grief for asking me to run with my light on. AFTER I heard what Bob said around the fire Saturday and had time to think about it. I was WRONG....I have my reasons for not running with my light on BUT........that's ME......and in a group ride.....it's about US. richrd......you were right sir and I apologize for not stepping up. You have my permission to slap me next time you see me.

[Linked Image]

to be continued.......G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/16/22 12:55 pm.

Life Member
Life Member
Memories......

[Linked Image]

I was honored with the gift of Mike Carter's leather jacket.........I tried, but I'm just not man enough to wear it. I will bring it to any and all bb.com events I attend. It's like the sword in the stone.......maybe some day someone worthy will come along that can wear it again.

[Linked Image]

Photographic proof my cooler bags have been repurposed back to their original purpose.

My favorite Triumph of the weekend

[Linked Image]

Marlin has that touch. Sometimes you meet folks that share the same tastes as you. Marlin is one of them for me. Original paint on the tank and the paint match on the fenders was spot on.

Which makes me want to mention, comfort food........comfort people. There are some folks that are like "comfort food" to me. Okay I know that sounds odd. Keep in mind I barely got through high school so it's hard for me to express myself through words. ( and I think with old age creeping in, it's getting worst) The folks I'm talking about are the ones that if they are around, you KNOW everything is going to be alright no matter what happens. I'm lucky enough to have a few of those kinda people in my life and I just spent the weekend with some of them.

[Linked Image]

There was one start up where I kept getting confused if I had my key on or not (more on that later) but once I got started, I looked up........and there was that understanding smile from someone who knows the feeling. Funny but that smile was the high point of the weekend for me.

To be continued......G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/16/22 2:32 pm.

1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
Life Member
Life Member
This guy.......

[Linked Image]

Casa Gumby

If you know him......well, you probably don't know two like him. smile We are truly blessed to have him around. thumbsup He's not in the photo because he's out riding. On a early 60s BSA. I might get this wrong but I "think" he rode up from his home in the Atlanta area.

Bill (aka Semper Gumby) paired up the "SENA" for 4 of us and I absolutely LOVED IT!!!!!!!! Had to keep reminding myself to NOT sing/talk to myself. Not being able to raise my visor while riding was the only downside. There are some unfamiliar sounds that take some getting use to....but once you realize where they are coming from, it's fine. I do HAVE to learn Bill's "dance" to be able to at least turn the darn thing on.........ugh. Printing the directions didn't help.......maybe if I'd had actually read them??? There's no way I could remember all of that stuff anyway but I promise to work on it.

Bill is a retired Airline Pilot and there are several of us that would like to have seen what he would/could have done with an airplane.......if they would have allowed it. ohno help ohno laughing

to be continued....G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/16/22 8:50 pm.

1 member likes this: Semper Gumby
Life Member
Life Member
I'm trying folks........stalling until the real pics show up. richrd did have a bit of a haul to get back. Thankfully though it wasn't as far as he used to go. richrd has chalked up more motorcycle miles getting to the event than anybody. There are other long milers I can think of.....Mike, Bob, Bill and Lannis all have chalked a bunch of miles.

For me this area is "sorta" home. Hwy 58 /Shady Valley was the furthest (Northwest) from my house at around 80 miles......just depends on how you want to get there.

My ride, 1967 B44VR

[Linked Image]

I purchased this from richrd and picked it up at last years TSMR. Brough it back and rode it this year. Windy was kind enough to keep the pace slow enough so I could keep up. I haven't ridden it enough to get it's starting drill down. I have a cheater driveway at home and usually bump start. This time around I had trouble telling if I had the key on or not. I can usually reach down and check that the key is off by just pulling it out of the ignition. BUT it was sticking sometimes and it would make me think the key was on. I can go out there right now and kick it and there's a good chance I'll do everything right and it starts first kick. Throw in a bunch of people watching and that all goes to hell.

The bike ran fine and got 62+ mpg for the 160+ mile ride. Only problem was..... it only ran on one cylinder most of the time. beerchug

to be continued......G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/16/22 5:52 pm.

2 members like this: Semper Gumby, PINEMONKEY
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Every time I see one of your clean lovely road singles, I wonder why I don't have one myself. I mean, I have an M21 and a C15 (which doesn't run yet), but a Starfire or Shooting Star or Victor or B50 looks and feels like so much fun. One of these days I'm going to ride a long way on one and see how it feels .... !

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Home at last. About 430 miles on the NH Nortons yesterday, a straight shot up I81 to Gettysburg and into the truck. Did about 1500 miles total (?) including slab, twistys, dirt, and water crossings. It never missed a beat. Film when I get to it.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Lannis
........snip....... One of these days I'm going to ride a long way on one and see how it feels .... ! Lannis

laughing.......yep and THEN you'll realize WHY you don't have one!!!! laughing

It did fine at the pace Windy set. (bless him) The only time it had trouble keeping up was the long uphill on 105 heading up to the start of the Goat Path.

I even PASSED someone (witnessed by Mike G) on 321 just after the lunch stop. Says a lot for the pace Windy set because Mike and I got cut off from the group passing the lunch stop after the Goat Path. The car slipped in between us and it took a while before we had a chance to get around ( unless it's a matter or life or death I try to not pass on double lines). The group was out of site by the time we got around but we were able to catch up to them before the next turn.....just had to step on it a little bit.

G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/17/22 1:51 am.

MikeG #880758 05/16/22 6:02 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by MikeG
Home at last. About 430 miles on the NH Nortons yesterday, a straight shot up I81 to Gettysburg and into the truck. Did about 1500 miles total (?) including slab, twistys, dirt, and water crossings. It never missed a beat. Film when I get to it.

Sometimes I-81 is a relaxed scenic ride, and sometimes it's like "Road Warrior", speeding, weaving trucks, cars running 90, and wrecks holding you up for 2 hours. It's a crapshoot as to whether it's going to be the fastest way at any given time, or whether you take Rt 11 or 340 and know you won't be sitting in a line of stopped cars all day.

Glad you made it OK!

Lannis

Life Member
Life Member
I'm going to run out of photo's just in time......

A couple of Mike Baker's Triumphs.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

and casa Baker. That's his low tech rig.......truck I believe was his grandfather's?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Mike also has a rig (sorta) like Marlin's beautiful set up. It's been making me think about what I can do for next year.

[Linked Image]

to be continued.....G

1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
Life Member
Life Member
Got my sticking ignition key sorted..... thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Next from me........the ride.

to be continued.....G

Life Member
Life Member
Well I fibbed......the last of my photos and then I'll talk about the ride. Maybe after we hear from somebody else??????

Casa David P

[Linked Image]

David didn't have a bike with him this year so he rode with the chase.......always good to have another hand along.

Probably see several photos of this boy. He was very well mannered.

[Linked Image]

Another view of casa man with no name

[Linked Image]

One of richrds Nortons, he was off on another bike.

[Linked Image]

to be continued....G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/16/22 8:42 pm.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com