Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (Tridentman, Brian Brown, NYBSAGUY, JubeePrince, TR6Ray, Magnetoman, Hugh Jörgen, Ignoramus), 20 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,186
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Hey Everyone, I pasted a couple of months ago about the possibility of fitting a "revometer" speedo dial onto a later magnetic mechanism. i contacted a number of instrument face suppliers in UK but no one was really interested in helping so i have forged ahead anyhow. I already had a reproduction "revometer" face but it was poor quality and came with a scratch across the face from new. I got the clever ladies at my local graphic print shop to scan the dial and colour in the odo and trip slots and complete any missing words. Also got them to sharpen up the images and brighten the colours a smidge to compensate for the loss of clarity every time these dials get copied and reproduced. I will offer up a bare magnetic dial to see where the new cut outs are are and shift any wording a bit so the cut outs dont destroy too much. My aim is to produce a "revometer" self adhesive transfer that can be affixed to a bare magnetic face plate. I will report back shortly if it is a success.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
53 Triumph 5T
69 Triumph TR6C
75 Triumph T150v cafe racer
1 member likes this: kommando
Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you have a local silkscreen printer they could print directly onto a plastic sheet.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
AFAIK, Triumph called this a Revulator, the man who does my clocks certainly reproduces them.

M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Yep, thought about that but it would be easier and more accurate to apply a transfer direct to a bare SSM face as the cut outs and mounting pin holes are already done. If there is demand, I can print onto plastic, alloy or brass sheet and make some pressing dies for the cutouts

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
53 Triumph 5T
69 Triumph TR6C
M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
In reply to Tinker Too, yes, there are plenty of suppliers of dials, some good, some really bad. They are all made as replacement dials for specific units. I want to put the dial of the "revulator' as fitted to a chronometric head and fit it to a SSM head. The cutouts for the odo and trip meters are different by a few mm. No face producer in UK was interested in my request.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
53 Triumph 5T
69 Triumph TR6C
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I must admit that I use a professional (Ashley Pople of Speedo Repairs) to do my clocks as I don't have a tool for fitting a new bezel onto a magnetic clock without damaging the paintwork on the body. It would have been useful talking to him (it would take a while, he does like to chat), but I guess you have done the hard work now!

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Mito, That is great idea & will work good.

What year speedo are you going to use?

I just a few weeks ago took my first speedo apart. Black face version used from 70- 77 or later?? This was ‘76 speedo. The needle bush was worn out so it was junk.

I was practicing to fix my trip meter.

A few thoughts about my experience. This year is in the rubber cup mounting so you could recrimp ring at home & not see it.

The ring is not so easy to uncrimp. Sides of ring get pretty bent up. The case got scratched up pretty bad. I was being really careful & I’m skillful.

I work ring off with least damage as possible. Recrimp would not be seen on ‘76 as it’s in the cup. Early bike it would look like a home done recrimp. Not acceptable to my eyes.

Now the top rubber of glass fell apart. Then glass was stuck tight to can from the rubber there. Had to slice rubber with razor blade. Not easy on hardened rubber.

Removed 3 nuts at bottom of can. Pushed guts out as they were stuck in rubbers. No big deal.

Needle must be removed. Mine was super tight. Took hard prying. I mean hard!! I thought shaft broke, but no the needle released. All the parts here are small & flimsy.

No you can remove face. My face was held on with 2 plastic expansion rivets. Push center stem out then pus rivet out from bottom. No big deal. Don’t loose rivet parts.

Now you can work on face.

On an aside, the trip meter can be removed from casting for repairs/cleaning.

Everything else on casting is riveted.

I’ve had dozens of automotive speedos apart. They are much simpler in every way.

What did I learn? This is a really tough job. Many ways to go wrong. Very easy to chip glass which will later form a crack. I think I’m pretty good at fixing things. But… end of day I’m going to send my speedo out to professional.
If I had to I could figure a way to do it myself. But I don’t feel it’s practical. The shops have the seals, rings, crimpers.

It would be good time to overhaul entire speedo.

Get the face back. Put on your sticker. Then have them install it.

Now I know why it costs so much to have these repaired. A lot of time consuming work. It was designed to be single use. When something goes wrong, replace the unit. Even the speed adjustment screw is crimped tight. Casting is zinc. Open the crimps, they all fracture. Like I said, never intended tone repaired.

Your idea of different face is super cool. Every time you ride bike it’ll put a smile on your face!!

I hope this gives you some direction.

PM me your email & I can send photos so you can see the details I speak of.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Life member
Life member
Mito, Wow! I've often thought of the same- too many other things going on with me. I wish you great success and look forward to seeing your results.

I will offer these observations for you to consider before a final design:

Colour- Both red/orange and green seem too dark in rendering- may need adjust with printing.

Serif on numerals "1" appears to not be on originals.

In photos below- note placement (s) of Speedo part number and the specific white "6T" for use on the Triumph Thunderbird....was the revulator markings used on any other make or model?

A nice thing is that this will be very close to accurate with a Smiths magnetic 1600!

Please note- I offer this as information to help you achieve your best design- I absolutely love that you are doing this!! All my best! Joe

1st photo- old non working unit filling the hole on Miss Penny. Note she has got ten+ years with this Speedo filling the hole- minimal sun damage!

[Linked Image]]

2nd photo. Supposed NOS unit currently on EBay.

[Linked Image]

M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I went and saw the nice ladies at my local graphics place today and discussed the finer detail of the dial face. We will add in the part number S467/99/L to the face, increase the size of the "RPM x 100" and will enhance the colours. One big decision though. The numbers 60 and 70 are smaller on the original dial to allow for the cut out for the odometer. Because the cutout is lower on the SSM magnetic, I can actually run the bigger size numbers...not sure weather to go with small or large. I recently purchased the book Magnetic Speedometer repairs by Graham Blighe. wealth of practical info in it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
53 Triumph 5T
69 Triumph TR6C
Life member
Life member
Not having a magnetic in front of me, I looked at the cover of publication you posted a pic of, it appears you may have to make the 50 and the 80 SMALLER as well to accommodate the odometer ??? (Hard to tell by just enlarging that publication image.....thats a point you'll need to verify.)

Maybe to you could change it to read "chronomagric" just to see if anyone notices? The print is tiny enough to work since we all need glasses these days anyway!

1 member likes this: Mito
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I have that book, but you do need to make up the special tool to use in a lathe, assuming you have one (on page 74?) to avoid the bezel looking horrible.

M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Yes, I have manufactured an aluminium swaging disc that fits in my lathe for rolling bezels. Interesting that a mate of mine here in Christchurch was making and exporting bezels. Wassell brought up his entire stock shortly before he died of cancer. The irony is I will likely buy a bezel that will come all the way back to NZ to within 20kms of where it was made.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
53 Triumph 5T
69 Triumph TR6C
1 member likes this: slofut
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Mito, So.., you have lathe & skills! That changes everything. You can do all in house. Perfect!
Don

1973 Tiger 750

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com