Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
rightshifter
rightshifter
Butler PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 70
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 27
NickL 26
Newest Members
Templarian, doug_chambers, NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz
12,120 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hugh Jörgen, Ian Ashdown, jimq, MikeG, NickL, Richard Kal, quinten, koan58, Royaloilfields), 28 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,052
Posts769,394
Members12,120
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
So I built a 1974 B50mx to race in vintage mx and I love the bike but the front brake is miserable. Now I am use to modern mx brakes so I don't really have anything to compare it too but I still feel it should be better than it is. I had the brake shoes relined when I built the bike up and the drum all looked good. I also think the angle looks ok on the brake arm so I don't really know if there is anything else I can do. Like I said I love riding the bike but with the way the front brake is I don't think I can race it like that! Any help would be appreciated.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That arm at rest is in the wrong position, when the hand lever is operated the arm angle to the cable should still be over 90 degrees. It won't make much difference but worth trying turning the lever over if the hole is serrated and engaging it further back so it pointing to the ground more.

Or

With the lower use of imperial thickness linings the aftermarket is using metric thickness and fitting say 6mm thick instead of 1/4" thick linings, so you start with new shoes with 1/2 worn linings which also only touch on one end.

So what brand shoes did you buy ?

This is why Villers services and Saftek are the go to places for shoe relining, the lining thickness can be custom or the OEM imperial thickness.

1 member likes this: NickL
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
This is not a recommendation. Modifying your brakes can be dangerous.

On this Norton backplate, lining material has been removed from the trailing end of the trailing shoe, by a mad experimentalist.

It allows the cam to put more pressure on the leading shoe, instead of the cam being stopped from turning by the trailing shoe contacting the drum. That cam jamming effect is a characteristic of non-floating SLS brakes, and ones that float the wrong way.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
did the shoes get arced to match the drum?

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com