Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dibnah, L.A.B., JER.Hill, gunner), 24 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
T
The ones I had were not good, I bought on price and lived to regret it. Maybe just unlucky?

Triumphs on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Originally Posted by Tigernuts
If you're concerned about appearances, a bike of that age won't look 'right' with a concentric (whether Wassell or Amal). I didn't know that Burlen were having such difficulties producing concentrics. I hope they get things sorted soon. Their products are far superior to Wassell's offerings.

The Amal Concentrics I bought are not far superior to anything.
The Wassels I've seen were identical to an AMAL in almost every way, except for the so called passivated finish, which I find dull and unappealing. Besides the Wassels still use the brass float needle. I prefer AMAL alloy needles, or even the ancient nylon ones. Float heights on the Wassels are all over the place, but so are Amals. I suspect Wassels are Chinese knock-offs, and would rather support Burlen/AMAL, even if they're a whole lot pricier.

SR

1 member likes this: kevin
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Stein Roger
[suspect Wassels are Chinese knock-offs

That is a bold statement tbh…. Wassell is as English as Burlen is… and yes they have contracters who produce/pre fabricate parts for them..the SAME for Burlen…. And almost every other firm these days, if it is uk, eu or everywere else based.. “designed” or registrerd in the “uk” or “EU” or “us” doesn’t mean it is fully produced completely “in house”

Burlen do not make the Concentrics (either) themselves.. maybe assemble, maybe “some” machining but not doing the body work casting…
Maybe they want too… but they have Concentric production issues for years now… 5 years ago and still now…

By the way: Wassell slides are far superior over the AMAL slides….

I DO like and use and sell the other AMAL/Burlen carbs , PRE Concentric that is, good stuff! Helpfull people

But the bashing of Wassell is ‘t correct IMHO and.. they supply 90% if not more of the british parts suppliers these days.. , yes also the highly rated ones we all know.. from the UK, to Australia, to the US and European continent…..(not talking about carbs here, just also every other bit)

Last edited by Motolab; 05/08/22 9:13 am.

Harold / Motolab.nl
BSA: WM20 '40 M21,B31 '54 B33 '55 ZB34GS '49, DBD34GS '58, DBD34GS ‘61
Triumph 5T '49 + T100 + speedkit
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
BMW R51/3 '51, R100GS '89
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thank you everyone for your detailed replies. It does seem that there are mixed opinions on the Wassel carbs. They claim to be exact replicas of the Amals?

I did manage to get to the bike today and measure the inlet which came out at 28mm, this is not a clean bike in any way I inherited it as a hardtail bobber project and it is quite messy however the engine has been rebuilt which is what attracted me to it and it also has the title.

As it is not a nut and bolt restoration I am not too bothered on how original the parts look, more that they function correctly. Which is why I was hoping that at a cheaper price the 28mm Wassell would suffice https://www.britishbikebits.com/928-300-wassell-carburettor and is much easier to get hold of especially in the UK. If the 28 does work, I am not sure on the jetting sizes and slides that I will need to get it running correctly.

I know this project wont be everyones cup of tea, but from what I have gathered from this post this forum is great and the members are very knowledgeable, I am sure I will have many posts to come.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
A 28mm Concentric will work fine. You certainly won't need a bigger carb, they came with a 1 1/16" which is 27mm.

SR

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hello JamieBridge; as mentioned before you only need a 26 Concentric jetted different than a 500 pre unit. 6T is a touring engine.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
As your manifold measures 28mm, I agree that a 928 Mk1 Conentric would be a good choice.

The Tr6 used a single 30mm Concentric carb with No3 slide, .107 needle jet and 230 main.

I suspect with the higher gas speed through the 928, you may start with 31/2 slide, .106 needle jet and say 210 main.

Just guesswork!

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
A 52 6T is a bigger cc version of the 5T not like a TR6 unit. It work pretty good with a 26 Concentric. All the manifolds have bigger mouth than carburetors mouth. Even the 5T.
A 6T cruising speed is 90-100km/h if you go with big carburetors you only will obtain poor dull performance (mostly on low RPM opening the throttle fast and lot of tweaking with the jetting; needles etc.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I don't understand what you are saying reverb. The old 6T is very similar to the TR6.
Only compression and cylinder head are different. The same amount of gas is drawn in on every stroke. So why wouldn't you see it as a reasonable dtarting point?
The TR6 used a 3 slide, .107 needle jet and 230 main jet in a 30mm venturi.

If one uses a 28mm venturi, then the intake gas flow will be somewhat faster, so a smaller needle jet and main jet would be sensible, as well as a slightly higher throttle valve number. Otherwise, the mixture will be over-rich in the smaller carb.

It doesn't matter what your cruising speed is.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
a 1953 6T was a very mildly built , low compression 650 engine .
and used a fairly small sized carburetor

but after 70 years ...
theres no telling whats inside the same cases .

the unit 6T's of the sixtys were running a monoblok , still available fron AMAL .
http://burlen.co.uk/carburettor-for-a-triumph-6t-thunderbird-7877.html
[Linked Image from burlen.co.uk]

Details for Carburettor for a Triumph 6T Thunderbird 1963-66

This carburettor is built to the original specification and comes supplied with:

4 Cutaway Slide

220 Main Jet  

106 Needle jet

25 Pilot Jet

Last edited by quinten; 05/08/22 10:55 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm a little late to the party here, but it's my understanding that the exported 6T at the time used the 276FG/1AT as described already here in these posts, up until some point early in the 55 manufacturing season when they went to the 376/42 spec Monobloc. 1 1/16 internal bore. If it were me, the 376 is what I would suggest over a Concentric. Not for performance, but for the look. It's a simple carb, works good if in good repair. The 376 was used on everything for the next 10 years or so. On a new build, with so many other things in play, I usually get a new one, unless I have something real good to start with. Just an opinion. The 276 looks cool, but may be more difficult to get. The main jet in the 376/42 config is 270. I have this on my 55 6T and it works great.

D
Britbike forum member
Online Confused
Britbike forum member
D

Ride safe today!
Online Happy
Ride safe today!
FYI Yes it was me who deleted some of the posts,

remember this thread is about Wassell Carburettors - 1952 Triumph 6T,
Please don't hijack it for your own purpose.
I will delete more posts if you post off topic.

It is never wrong to discuss a certain product's quality
it should be done with respect towards other members and also companies.
If you have more to say about the specific topic Wassell Carburettors - 1952 Triumph 6T feel free to reply.

Last edited by Morgan aka admin; 05/11/22 5:57 am.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Criticisms of Wassal have been removed. That may or may not be fair.
It is Morgan's judgement.
It would be more constructive to hear from a Wassll supplier, what has been done to improve quality of parts?
I think it is a reasonable question.
Just trying to be fair....

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Motolab
Originally Posted by Stein Roger
[suspect Wassels are Chinese knock-offs

That is a bold statement tbh….
Burlen do not make the Concentrics (either) themselves.. maybe assemble, maybe “some” machining but not doing the body work casting…
By the way: Wassell slides are far superior over the AMAL slides….'
I DO like and use and sell the other AMAL/Burlen carbs , PRE Concentric that is, good stuff! Helpfull people
'But the bashing of Wassell is ‘t correct IMHO '..
You quoted me. so let me address the points above, one by one.

Re "Chinese knock-offs", I didn't make a statement but I did express a suspicion. There's a difference.
As I understood it when they took over the brand, they also took over Amals machining facilities. That may have changed. Are you suggesting Burlen have them manufactured outside of the UK or the EU, for example in the far east? Everybody have their castings done by foundries, nothing new there.
Wassel anodized slides and AMAL anodized slides look identical to me, but you may now something I don't. You wouldn't be the first.
I too like other AMAL carbs, Wassels don't offer replacement pre-Concentrics as far as I know.
Lastly, I'm not bashing Wassel Concentrics. Far from it, I gave them the thumbs up. I simply stated I'd rather buy Amals from Burlen.

Seeing that you quoted me, it would appear to some that I hold all the opinions you quote or suggest, so I saw fit to write this clarify my position.

SR

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com