Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (TinkererToo, L.A.B., gavin eisler, rocketgoldie), 27 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Hi Guys
Just tackling a few things on my 1967 Bonneville project before I stash it while enjoying the summer and riding.

The Bonneville was last on the road in 1993 and after being parked, the remaing fuel was left in the tank.

I drained it and the gas had turned to a red liquid resin.

My question is what is teh best method to clean the tank?

I already took it to a rad shop to have cleaned, but he wouldn't touch it, as he thought it would stink up his shop.

Thanks
John

8 purple bonneville.jpg
Triumphs on eBay
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
I’ve had great results with a few rinses of diluted muriatic acid, followed by a few rinses of Lysol Lime & Rust remover (black bottle toiler cleaner). Make sure to thoroughly flush the tank between each muriatic acid flush.

1966 Triumph T120TT project
1967 Triumph TR6C
1972 Triumph TR6R
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I'd start with petrol above the gum line, leave it for weeks, shaking occasionally. After all this was dissolved in petrol to begin with.

I'm doubtful that acid will have much impact on the resinous gum.

If that doesn't work, perhaps MEK? That cleaned most things in the nasty chemicals industry I once worked in.

Last edited by koan58; 05/10/22 5:15 pm. Reason: addition of MEK
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Lacquer thinner and loose screws. Let sit, shake, let sit , repeat - until the crude is out. Then treat with phosphoric acid to get rid of rust, available at Home Depot in paint department. Keep the lacquer thinner away from the paint. You can use a less harsh thinner or hot soapy water that won't attack the paint if you aren't repainting.

1 member likes this: henryanthony
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi John, Acetone works well also. If you use any type acid tank will be very prone to rusting from now on.
It removes the tiny thin layer or tin plating from steel. It acted as lube in the press die.

All the strong solvents will damage paint instantly!!

If you want to save paint, use Kreem paint mask. 2 thick coats. Then cover that with Glad wrap. Use shorter sheet rock screws. 2#. Plug filler with rubber stopper from hardware store.

Final rinse with Acetone or lacquer thinner.

If you do good job with paint mask it 100% protects pain from acetone. Lacquer thinner I’ve never used.

If you get rusting down the road you have no choice but to install liner. I recommend Caswell.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Phosphoric acid will remove the rust, it will also leave a thin coating of iron phosphate on the steel. Unlike iron oxide the iron phosphate is as dense as the steel and is a mild rust preventor.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi, I used Kreem tank cleaner kit. It was acid but didn’t damage paint. Then the flushing solution. It was acetone.

What acid it was I don’t know. Metal was bright silver after cleaning.

It rusted bad after cleaning. E10 fuel is all we can get. Bottom of tank didn’t rust. The air space above fuel looked like steel found laying on the sea shore in 2 years. Just horrible! Of course started leaking through rust pin hole. Caswell cured the leaks 4.5 years so far. So good.

Looking at Kreem part A acid it’s now phosphoric acid. Was it then? I don’t know. It indeed etched the metal. It did not leave full grey finish. It was shinny silver. I’m wondering if they’ve changed their part A from when I used it. My tank had zero rust, but I didn’t drain for storage. Filled to the brim. Fuel left thick hard coating like asphalt. Liquid smelled like paint thinner. The plan was store for 2 years only. It turned into 34!
Don

Last edited by TR7RVMan; 05/11/22 4:05 am. Reason: Changed sentence

1973 Tiger 750
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by kommando
Phosphoric acid will remove the rust, it will also leave a thin coating of iron phosphate on the steel. Unlike iron oxide the iron phosphate is as dense as the steel and is a mild rust preventor.
Yes, phosphoric acid is the choice for vintage auto sheet metal restoration.Ospho is a popular brand...My experience is the dark appearance of the treated steel...Normal after treatment procedure is a mineral spirit washing on surfaces to be painted....Ya,phosphoric acid is the magic but weak rust remover in Coca Cola,

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I've had to use aircraft paint stripper to dissolve that gum in the bottom of the tank, also oven cleaner. Not quick either... KBS sealer and rust remover for the last ten or so years has been my favorite.

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Phosphoric acid also will soak rust out of the pin-holes in a rusty surface.
Rinse with hot water, which will quickly air-dry, and you're done ... for the inside of a tank, anyway.

If de-rusting an outside surface, do the same then prime immediately after the part has dried.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com