Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Richard Phillips, Morgan aka admin), 24 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#879612 05/05/22 4:01 pm
A
AML Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
I’m replacing the exhaust rocker on my B44 and have shaved the 3 o-rings I thought I’d need for this.
I’ve been using a flattened pick and a small screwdriver to try to persuade them and it’s the first time I’ve attempted this.
The o-rings are square section that fit perfectly on the spindle and that I bough from Peter at BSA Unit singles so I know they’re "right". It’s me.

So my question is, are square section o-rings inherently more difficult than circular o-rings to install because the leading edge is blunt?
I need to buy more o-rings hence the question.
Although I am tempted to smear hi-temp sealant on the outside and call it a day. Not really.
Thanks,
Adam

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Are you greasing/applying a smear of oil to the o-ring and shaft before assembly ?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

A
AML Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
I’m using P-80.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
consider chamfering the edge of the rocker spindle hole and heating the rocker box to 250 degrees or so. Of course use some lube. Triumphs use a tool to compress the seal so it enters the bore more easily. Don't know if a similar tool for BSA's is out there.

A
AML Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Thanks for the reply Stuart.
There is a chamfer, courtesy of a PO. The spindle and o-ring were in the freezer overnight and I used a torch on the head.
I’m pretty sure clearance wasn’t an issue, and I used P-80 lube.
Since I need more o-rings, my question is if there any practical difference, in this instance, between round and square section o-rings?
Thanks all.

Sponsor
Sponsor
The O rings all get a bit of a shave when inserting them. Nothing to worry about. Are you experiencing leaking oil at that location?

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
3000 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Triumphs use a tool to compress the seal so it enters the bore more easily. Don't know if a similar tool for BSA's is out there.
Trust me, that tool doesn't work much better, the round O rings on Triumph end up getting torn up anyway. I end up using black silicone to seal them.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
A
AML Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
The rocker box is not yet back on, so no leaks yet Peter. I was waiting to hear real world experience, thanks.
I kept the rocker box assembled after the last attempt, and I smeared hi-temp silicon on the end of the spindle.
My assembly can now continue.
Thanks all,
Adam

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I would say a square section "O" ring is the wrong way to go.
A round "O" ring should fit the base of the groove in the shaft, it should be a slight interference on the outside diameter in the hole and have axial clearance in the groove.
As the shaft is pressed into the hole the "O" ring will distort into an oval cross section. If there is no room to distort axially the ring will be damaged

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The reason for the shaving is the groove s not sized correctly, as Andy says an O ring works by being compressed on the Id and od by having a shallow groove but the groove is wider to allow the sides to expand. But both BSA and Triumph designed a groove with less X sectional than the O ring. Result the O ring has nowhere to go when compressed.

Sponsor
Sponsor
I've rebuild a load of unit single rocker boxes, like at least 40 or so. Funny thing is that using round o-rings or square cross section o-rings ultimately doesn't seem to make a difference as far as leaking oil at that location goes. None leak. Meaning that a fresh o-ring of any type seems to do the job even when they are shaved off a bit. I do not seem to have difficulty with shearing on the square section o-rings I have been using. They do have a bit of an interference fit so sealing does occur. Where leaking might be an issue is when the rocker shafts have been pushed in or out of the box too many times and the shaft is no longer an interference fit in the alloy box. Meaning it does not have to be pushed in with a press. Then the o-ring can be expected to be doing a lot more work. By the way I never use lubricants on my rocker shaft o-rings. Others may have different opinions and experiences of course.

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
3000 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com