Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mr Mike, MrMarty51, Richard Kal, HayMike, Don Leaming, bsalloyd, Chris Johnson), 23 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#879064 04/30/22 8:26 am
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
There were discussions on here a few years ago about the EasyCap magneto condensers. I don't want to rehash all that was said, but simply ask a couple of questions. Let's assume the armature windings are megged and found good.

Do the EasyCap condensers work, and for how long?
What alternative condensers are available?

SR

British motorcycles on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
There is no reason why an easy cap shouldn't work reliably.
It would be a good idea to disconnect the old capacitor (condenser is the old fashioned name for capacitor) in case it goes short circuit

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I haven't actually installed one and tried it yet. So make of that what you will !

I do have a Lucas Magdyno and a K2F that are perfect subjects for trying though.
They start and run fine, but are near impossible to start once hot.
The classic symptoms of a failing ye olde condensor type.
(At the time, I simply replaced them with overhauled maggies, which then performed perfectly.)
(Always keep a spare maggie on the shelf ?)

I've seen it said that the Easycap manufacturers are yet to see an example of one that has actually failed.
Which is pretty impressive when you think about it ?
Since they don't have the foil type cap that is prone to failing from drying out, they may be able to avoid that fate ?

Alternatives ?
There are threads about which detail replacing the original cap - buried in the windings - with modern types.
This is quite involved, but is possible. And detailed instructions are available. Inc on this forum.
If the Easycaps can be simply installed, inc snipping a few wires - and potentially last forever? -,
then that sounds like a doddle in comparison ?

And hopefully you'll get replies from someone with miles under their belt.
There sure are a lot of pics and reports about of them ...

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
It would be a good idea to disconnect the old capacitor (condenser is the old fashioned name for capacitor) in case it goes short circuit

It is detailed in the install instructions that this has to be done....

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I don't know much about magnetos, but if they are simple instruments, they do have a few failure modes. Slip rings contaminated or cracking, windings breaking down, brush wear, brush holders cracking and so on. Many of the more knowledgeable people I know claim that after the war windings became better insulated and may well be functional even today. Condensers (capacitors) is a different story, they do disintegrate with time, with degrading capacitance until they short out, or on occasion go open circuit. The manufacturer strongly recommend removing it.
Assuming that all the other possible failure modes are taken care of, I would think a modern capacitor like the EasyCap would be a great solution.

It would be nice if someone with actual experience would chime in, there must be a few out there.

SR

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I think we can take their reliability and performance as a given ?
If they didn't work, someone would have noticed by now !!

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Rohan
I think we can take their reliability and performance as a given ?
If they didn't work, someone would have noticed by now !!

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/
Quite so, it would be all over the forum wouldn't it?
I have 4 K2Fs and a BTH. The latter is probably beyond repair but one of my K2F seems to have been overhauled some time, and seen little use after that. I'm going to use it as is, but then others are candidates for repair.

SR

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Hi Stein,
I plan to visit my parts supplier Tim Bardsley next week, he has part of his shop full of old electric machinery and I learned he used to repair magnetos and dynamos back in the day. I also learned from one of my friends rebuilding old BSA singles Tim repairs magnetos changing inside condensers for a very reasonable price. I can ask him if he would be interested in repairing your magnetos. I personally could see my friend's motorcycles working flawlessly and he has like forty of them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Adam M.; 05/01/22 11:53 pm.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I don't know about the magneto skills, but I like that garage setup !!

Even if there are no girder forks or dohc/4 valves (visible).
Not many numberplates we notice either.
I said however, a long time ago, you can only ride one at a time.

Brightspark themselves point out that their Easycaps are only useful replacements for caps that are ailing/ failing.
All other mechanical woes and bad wiring can only be sorted by a'fixin ....

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Adam M.
Hi Stein,
I plan to visit my parts supplier Tim Bardsley next week, he has part of his shop full of old electric machinery and I learned he used to repair magnetos and dynamos back in the day. I also learned from one of my friends rebuilding old BSA singles Tim repairs magnetos changing inside condensers for a very reasonable price. I can ask him if he would be interested in repairing your magnetos. I personally could see my friend's motorcycles working flawlessly and he has like forty of them.
Very nice of you Adam, thanks for the kind offer! However, magneto repairs are available over here as well, at a price. I'm fully prepared to have them refurbished by one of them, if I need to, expensive though it may be. Being a DIY kind of guy I'd like to do as much as I can myself, but I realize it may not happen. Too many distractions, I have a house that needs painting and repairs, along with a big garden, spring is a busy time.

SR

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Thorspark
I have a Lucas KF1 ( i think) for my '61 Velo. I decided to buy the Thorspark. Easy to install, no need to remove the old condensor. It is a complete ignition. It does require a battery. The price is much cheaper than a rebuild on a magneto. I had to insulate the base because the unit shorted out when first installed. I placed a circle of gasket material under the assembly and it solved the problem. So far a year later and many starts it works well.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Pete Suchawreck
Thorspark
I have a Lucas KF1 ( i think) for my '61 Velo. I decided to buy the Thorspark. Easy to install, no need to remove the old condensor. It is a complete ignition. It does require a battery. The price is much cheaper than a rebuild on a magneto. I had to insulate the base because the unit shorted out when first installed. I placed a circle of gasket material under the assembly and it solved the problem. So far a year later and many starts it works well.
Tony told me thumbsup Happy to hear a good review! A friend has the good same experience with an A10, several seasons, no issues. It was fitted by the previous owner who got tired of spending good money on a magneto overhaul just to have it break down again within a season. It uses so little power that it doesn't affect battery charging in the least. 1/4 A according to the Thorspark website.

SR

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com