Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsalloyd, JubeePrince, Magnetoman, StephenM, Steve Erickson, Hugh Jörgen, Noe), 22 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878959 04/29/22 1:47 pm
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Please no debate on the pros and cons of rim locks; mine have been gone for a long time, and will remain gone, for better or worse.

This is about closing the holes vacated by the rim locks. Last time around, I used button-head screws, with rubber washers and Nylock nuts on the outside. This worked ok through two or three rear tires, but this time, after removing the tire, I noticed that the button-head screws had made holes in the rim strip, right in the center at the edges of the hex sockets.

It was a crappy rim strip, and I'm using a better one this time, but I really don't want anything sticking up inside the rim, and perhaps it's not necessary - the only reason to close the holes is to keep water out, and for appearance. Somewhere I've seen machine screws with very thin, flat heads, but I couldn't find anything like that in the hardware store.

So this time I'm trying a couple of layers of aluminum tape on the inside, over the holes. This leaves a slight recess on the outside, the thickness of the rim, with the sticky side of the tape exposed in the holes. So I'm thinking of filling the holes with clear silicone, in order to keep water out and keep the tape clean.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've used duct tape in the past with no trouble, but as you say it leaves the sticky side out to attract dirt. This time I bought a couple of round headed carriage bolts, filed the markings off the head, and filed the squares on the shank to fit the rim hole. I also use Motion Pro rim tape as opposed to a rubber rim strap. A bit thicker and stays in place.

https://www.denniskirk.com/motion-p...2qrm59wIVkorICh3wyQM9EAQYASABEgLRu_D_BwE

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe a low tech method would be OK? Form a small piece of stainless or even nylon/plastic etc that fits in the valley over the hole. Tape it in place to keep position for the assembly process, and let the tire/tube force keep it there after.
Had a 2nd thought: but more work. Mount that piece inside the rim with gray JB weld. If you can hold it in place firmly while setting up, you could wipe off the protruding excess JB flush with the outer surface. Almost un-noticeable.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 04/29/22 2:22 pm. Reason: 2nd thought

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65L numbers match, “best effort” from basket *
Gone:
‘66 A65L“in ‘95 getting back in the game”+ empty ‘67 Case&Frame *
‘69 A65L
‘68 A65L “red bike” basket, sold & made whole by BB member
‘68 A65F nice Tribute bike
‘65 A50L bitsa from spare parts, Son’s fun
‘62 A10 Spitfire
‘65 T120R sad case, saved by BB member
'65 XLCH “scratched THAT itch”……
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
knuckle head
knuckle head
I use duct tape folded over so no sticky side up. I also generally use duct tape for a rim liner. My land speed racer has sheet metal tack welded over the holes

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Life Member
Life Member
Flush mount plastic hole plugs?

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I guess duct tape works fine as a rim liner on a race bike but it does not work if you are going to be traveling with a heavy load (pillion passenger plus lots of luggage) in a hot climate. My wife and i crossed Utah in the middle of July two up on an MSS Velocette. Experienced multiple flat tires in that one day. Tubes were found to be cut on the inside in a line that corresponded to the edge of the duct tape I was using as a rim liner. Switched back to rubber rim tapes and have never had that problem under similar circumstances.

Laurence Luce
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Flush mount plastic hole plugs?

Gordon

I thought of that; nice if you can find them in the correct diam. I'm headed to a store that has an extensive hardware display today; I'll take a look.

BTW, in reference to your son's quote, I'm pretty sure Will Rogers said that (but he used the word ignorant instead of stupid).

I'll respond to some of the other replies later; I like the JB Weld idea as a filler, if not an adhesive, and I have some.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Life Member
Life Member
Mark......Lowes used to carry them in their "hardware drawers" but they dropped those. They would have to be the flush type and would probably need a "dab" of adhesive to keep them in place but it's the only thing I can think of that would look "clean" IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll ask my son about that this weekend..........he's coming in for MerleFest. He just told me that one day when I was fussing about somebody being a dumbshit. I see examples of it almost every day. Will Rogers or Mark Twain probably covered all of it at one time or another.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/29/22 5:20 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: gavin eisler
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
On my race bike, the front wheel has rim lock holes. I filled them with NOTHING. The rim tape covers the holes

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
rim lock plug is not really necessary as others have said but cleans up the hole without adding weight.
big head goes to the inside.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

or you could just cut the stem off an old tube and stuff it in the rim lock hole
and show it off as a new monster tube with 2 fillers.

knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by slow learner
I guess duct tape works fine as a rim liner on a race bike but it does not work if you are going to be traveling with a heavy load (pillion passenger plus lots of luggage) in a hot climate. My wife and i crossed Utah in the middle of July two up on an MSS Velocette. Experienced multiple flat tires in that one day. Tubes were found to be cut on the inside in a line that corresponded to the edge of the duct tape I was using as a rim liner. Switched back to rubber rim tapes and have never had that problem under similar circumstances.
I been using duct tape for 30 years on street bikes too...But never under the conditions you describe. I was always told it was Pvc tape that cut tubes......Maybe need to use rim liners instead..

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Mark......Lowes used to carry them in their "hardware drawers" but they dropped those. They would have to be the flush type and would probably need a "dab" of adhesive to keep them in place but it's the only thing I can think of that would look "clean" IMO.
Gordon

I didn't find anything in the hardware store today, or at NAPA. Searching online, it seems like they have every size EXCEPT 5/16"! I knew about these though, we have 3/8" ones at work.

Originally Posted by quinten
rim lock plug is not really necessary as others have said but cleans up the hole without adding weight .
big head goes to the inside.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Hmm, an actual motorcycle part, that didn't occur to me but probably should have. I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by quinten
or you could just cut the stem off an old tube and stuff it in the rim lock hole
and show it off as a new monster tube with 2 fillers.

Actually, that would be THREE valve stems (there were two rim locks).
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
On my race bike, the front wheel has rim lock holes. I filled them with NOTHING. The rim tape covers the holes
Right, well I will at least have the aluminum tape because it's already in there.

Mark Z

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
And on a similar vein you can get blanking off gromets which will do the same thing and look just as neat.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Ok, after more surfing, I found that they make plugs especially for this purpose.

I just ordered these: https://chargedcycleworks.com/products/drc-rim-hole-plugs

Mark Z

2 members like this: Vincent Esposito, Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well shoot, that sinks my idea of using carriage bolts in the holes to make people think I used rim locks on the front. laughing
I have a WM3 rim on the front of the Trident, so it has the holes, but I use a new rim strip at every tire change.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
1 member likes this: Beach
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WOW, who knew!!!! also check out their other offerings in that link. The Bead Buddy is a great idea! Thanks Mark.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 05/08/22 5:39 pm.

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65L numbers match, “best effort” from basket *
Gone:
‘66 A65L“in ‘95 getting back in the game”+ empty ‘67 Case&Frame *
‘69 A65L
‘68 A65L “red bike” basket, sold & made whole by BB member
‘68 A65F nice Tribute bike
‘65 A50L bitsa from spare parts, Son’s fun
‘62 A10 Spitfire
‘65 T120R sad case, saved by BB member
'65 XLCH “scratched THAT itch”……
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
DOPE
DOPE
damn. i used duct tape too, in arizona and california at 110-plus degrees F, for years and years. never had a problem.

i would have thought that 110 would have pushed the envelope, but i didnt ride two-up very much, and that certainly would have doubled the load on the tire/tube.

im still using duct tape, and just run a small extra piece of tape over the hole in the rim on the inside.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by kevin
damn. i used duct tape too, in arizona and california at 110-plus degrees F, for years and years. never had a problem.

i would have thought that 110 would have pushed the envelope, but i didnt ride two-up very much, and that certainly would have doubled the load on the tire/tube.

im still using duct tape, and just run a small extra piece of tape over the hole in the rim on the inside.

I had heard that using duct tape could cause a problem. BUT I used it for years.....started during my short run as a desert racer in Southern Cali.......and carried on through the years.

UNTIL.........I had a problem with it. Norton Commando.......rear tire. A 3" cut along the tube that matched the tape exactly. The problem was I had used several layers of tape.....3-4 (?) that created a sharp edge and it finally cut through the tube. Only happened once in all those years but most of the time I only used maybe one layer.....or two at the most. I don't remember why I put so many on the Norton's rim. Maybe our American mindset......more is ALWAYS better? Run your finger along the edge of the duct tape and you can feel the sharp edge. You won't feel that with the correct rim strip.

That was my last time using duct tape as a rim strip.

All I would suggest is......that if you do use duct tape, just use one layer.......that's all you need anyway.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/08/22 9:04 pm.

DOPE
DOPE
now youre scaring me, becaue in july ill run my LSR on wheels with two layers of tape.

im thinking i should take the wheels down and at leat make sure that the tape doesnt form an edge.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by kevin
now youre scaring me, becaue in july ill run my LSR on wheels with two layers of tape.

im thinking i should take the wheels down and at leat make sure that the tape doesnt form an edge.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist or cause you any grief. Just sharing a real life experience. I did thousands of miles using duct tape. I'm 99.9% sure the problem was caused by me putting too many layers on. I'm 100% sure in my case it was the edge of the tape that cut my tube.
At the time I might have remembered why so many layers.....but I don't remember now.

Honestly there probably isn't ANYTHING on my motorcycles that cost LESS than the correct rim strips. I ended up buying a couple of dozen and have never looked back.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/09/22 12:56 am.

DOPE
DOPE
well, ill see what i have time to do. next weekend im training the number three son on the 250 ninja, as he's racing this summer for the first time and is inexperienced with the machine. im also doing something else that will take up the rest of the weekend but i cannot remember what it is.

remember when you could remember things? i can barely remember remembering.

M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
We had a similar problem putting optional tire liners in our mobility scooter tires, which are 2.50" X 16" moped tires. These are rather stiff plastic strips that go between the tire and the inner tube, and are supposed to prevent flats from thorns and such. (They won't stop a nail, though.)

The ends of the tire liners were biting into the tubes. Now we round the corners and chamfer the ends with a belt sander before installation.

Mark Z

M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
By the way, I received my rubber rim hole plugs (God that sounds bad!) in the mail, and now the wheel and tire are off to a garage for mounting and balancing.

A nice 100% rust free rim has been a long time in coming for Betty Bitsa. And now this one with stainless steel spokes and a powder-coated hub!

Mark Z

Life Member
Life Member
"By the way, I received my rubber rim hole plugs......."

Mark.......we're not here to judge. laughing

Sounds like you got it well sorted..........................in the end. whistle

Gordon

1 member likes this: Mark Z

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com