Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (TinkererToo, L.A.B., gavin eisler, rocketgoldie), 27 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878390 04/23/22 8:38 am
Peter R Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have taken a look at the anti drain valves for the triple, as offered by L.P Williams in the UK.
The anti drain valves in general are somewhat controversial, and they sort of split the classic britbike world, as I can read on several forums.
So my question is, do any of you use a anti drain valve on the triple ?
Want to hear experiences and opinions please.

Last edited by Peter R; 04/23/22 6:34 pm. Reason: spelling

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
British motorcycles on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Peter, my opinion only; I confess I'm a sceptic. I don't have any experience with it on a Triple but a Commando I overhauled and serviced for a period of time featured one. It never failed that I could see, but I always worried over it. I'd sooner have a crankcase full of oil than that worry.
I don't use one on my triple, but I feel a pressure gage would be an essential companion to it if I did.

My bike doesn't dump all it's oil into the sump, even if standing for months there's always at least half a tank left, so I've come to just kick it over to feel if there's a lot of oil down there. If it feels nice and free, I simply start it. I've never had to drain the sump yet.

My reasoning is, if a thousand users have no problems with their valves, I'd likely be thousand and one... If I don't have one, it can't fail.

SR

Peter R Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
There is an oil pressure gauge on my triple, so I can immediately see if the oilpump is primed or not.
The ball valve in the crankcase may not seat properly indeed, as the engine wet sumps in a couple of weeks.
A new replacement oil pump was installed approx 2 years ago.

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I understand your annoying problem, maybe I'd be tempted to fit an anti-drain valve if it was that bad. The "worry gage" should keep your engine safe. After all, failures can hardly be of epidemic proportions or it would have been all over the forums. By the way, I trust you have searched the web thoroughly?
The anti-drain valve on mine seems to kind of work, though it does let half the tank content drain down. I never really did anything with it.

Why did you fit a new pump? Did you have oil pressure issues? Did it improve?
I'm not satisfied with mine, (discussed on this forum last year) even after a full crank overhaul, so I'm about to install a brand new Hyde pump.
Sorry, don't mean to distract from the drain issue...

SR

Peter R Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for your reply Stein, concerning the replacement of my oil pump : I lived in blissfull ignorance of the oil pressure untill I fitted the oil pressure gauge.
I also replaced the bearing shells, but after dismantling the engine, the old shells did not look or measure bad at all, so I went for the new oil pump.
The replacement of the bearing shells was probably a lot of work for nothing, but it kept me out of the pub for a while.

Last edited by Peter R; 04/24/22 9:02 am.

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Did the oil pressure improve much with the new pump?

SR

Peter R Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yes I noticed a rise in pressure of 10-15 psi over the full range.
Now approx 80-85psi at 3000rpm.

Today I noticed that I have a leak from the thermostat in the oil cooler lines, Never a dull moment. shocked

Last edited by Peter R; 04/24/22 7:56 pm.

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Before suspecting the anti-drain valve you should see where the leakage is, from the oil pump into the primary or past the anti-drain valve into the filter cavity.
The seat or hole of the anti-drain valve often has score marks from the drilling. The ball sits on the edge of the hole, not on the face of the seat so any scoring in the hole will cause leakage.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Peter R
I have taken a look at the anti drain valves for the triple, as offered by L.P Williams in the UK.
The anti drain valves in general are somewhat controversial, and they sort of split the classic britbike world, as I can read on several forums.
So my question is, do any of you use a anti drain valve on the triple ?
Want to hear experiences and opinions please.
I have one of these fitted to my '74 T150V for 9yrs now with no issue. I will say that when fitting this the oil lines need to be primed prior to the initial start.

Last edited by Blown Income; 04/25/22 4:23 pm.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1970 Triumph TR6C
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Besides priming oil lines it is recommended that the original anti-drain valve be removed. Follow the instructions when installing.

1 member likes this: Blown Income
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by John Healy
Besides priming oil lines it is recommended that the original anti-drain valve be removed. Follow the instructions when installing.
Good point John, I neglected to add that in my post.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1970 Triumph TR6C
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I presume that one just cuts out a short section of the feed line and puts the valve wherever there's room?

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by DavidP
I presume that one just cuts out a short section of the feed line and puts the valve wherever there's room?

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/trident-anti-drain-valve-for-t150-with-5-16-fittings

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
It could be good for a twin with a rotary pump?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Do any US vendors carry this product?

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Peter R Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
Originally Posted by DavidP

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/trident-anti-drain-valve-for-t150-with-5-16-fittings
I consider buying one of those anti drain valves for the triple.
I have a oil pressure gauge fitted, so this will give early warning in case the valve sticks in closed position. Just for piece of mind .

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I've never seen the inside of such a valve but if I assume the seat for the ball is less than 45 deg, say 30 deg, there's little chance for it to stick in the seat. If there's enough space around the ball not to trap any debris, there should really be no risk using one. All that keeps the ball to the seat is the spring and if the spring fails the ball simply drops and opens the valve. Having thought this through properly (at last) I'm becoming convinced that these valves can actually be safe. I need to see the inside of one before I'm fully satisfied, but as the designer would in all probability be smarter than me, chances are I would be.
My earlier remark "if I don't have one it can't fail" is a bit smug, even for me. Sorry.
Go for it Peter!

But why they recommend removing the existing valve in a triple is beyond me, I have to say.

SR

Last edited by Stein Roger; 05/08/22 7:40 am.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
“But why they recommend removing the existing valve in a triple is beyond me, I have to say. “

I don’t know much about the triples, but if the original valve is also in the feed line from tank to pump, then I would think as follows.

Each valve produces a (albeit small) pressure loss in the head of oil from the tank.
These are in series so add together, just as electrical resistances add together when in series.

As I understand, the feed from tank to pump was a sensitive issue with the earlier models, especially on cold startup, and a larger bore passage was adopted on later models (and the modification often done to earlier ones).

Just a guess!

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by koan58
“But why they recommend removing the existing valve in a triple is beyond me, I have to say. “

I don’t know much about the triples, but if the original valve is also in the feed line from tank to pump, then I would think as follows.

Each valve produces a (albeit small) pressure loss in the head of oil from the tank.
These are in series so add together, just as electrical resistances add together when in series.

As I understand, the feed from tank to pump was a sensitive issue with the earlier models, especially on cold startup, and a larger bore passage was adopted on later models (and the modification often done to earlier ones).

Just a guess!
Hmm, I hear you Dave but don't quite buy it.
Firstly, I don't really believe enlarging the oil feed is necessary! Doug Hele knew what he was doing and designed the oil feed to suit the demand. However, as the story goes, some racing bikes were tested mid winter, at MIRA I believe, sporting Castrol R 40 weight oil. They promptly seized due to lack of circulation due to oil starvation. Cold and thick castor oil can be problematic, and many used to heat it before they put it in the tank.Triumphs racing shop promptly enlarged the oil feed which probably solved the problem for them.
Most road going triples runs happily around to this day with the original size feed.
I confess to enlarging mine, even if I wasn't convinced, but it made no difference to anything.
Secondly, as long as the pump doesn't cavitate or is starved of oil, it will deliver full pressure. Any difference in delivery to the pump won't make any difference after the pump, unless as said, it's starved or cavitates.

SR

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Hi Stein,
I have heard a similar story, but it was about track marshals having to start from cold when there was a racing emergency. It is possible that it is all myth, of course.

I’ve never owned a triple myself. My only experience was doing most of the mechanical work on a mate’s T150 in the mid 1980s, a total rebuild. It was much more of a handful than what I was used to, but it worked out well in the end.

Using a monograde oil (without heating it up first) in a triple would be asking for trouble, the central main bearings need high pressure supply from the get go.

Even though you doubt the value, I think you were wise to enlarge the route.
That you haven’t noticed any difference, if you hadn’t done it you may have. Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence.

I usually think of twins, with their pretty feeble oil flow. The triple needs a much greater flow from the tank to the pump (some suggest 3 or 4 times), but uses a similar oil head and pipework as the twins.

Thus it still has only atmospheric pressure acting on the oil in the tank, but the draw is much greater.

You mention cavitation. This is a very real possibility when the oil is cold. It simply cannot be drawn from the tank fast enough.
Any pump has a characteristic input/output pressure difference (as well as defined limits of both input and output pressures), if the pump demands more than the oil supply can provide there will be cavitation, and consequent reduced supply to those all-important main bearings.

Cavitation may also prematurely damage the pump (as it does the propeller on a ship).

It is well known that triples are rather more delicate than twins as regards oil pressure, (those centre mains again are what it’s all about), so I would give as free passage as possible to the pump. Hence one non-return valve.
I can imagine a situation where there are maybe 10 non-return valves are in series such that the pump cannot draw any oil at all, by way of illustration.

Hope that makes sense pal!

Dave

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
All valid points Dave, can't argue that.
I can't remember where the Castor oil story came from, so it may well be considered apocryphal until I can quote a source. It's well documented that a larger feed was regarded a worthwhile mod by many, and later used on some (all?) IOM marshall bikes. However, while Jack Shemans in his Triple Service Notes said that he considered it by no means necessary, he went on to describe the procedure anyway.

Anyhow, with a much more effective anti drain valve upstream of the pump, a flawed valve downstream serves no purpose, so better to simply leave it out.

Cheers, SR

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com