Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (BeezaBryan, gunner, Lekkie), 28 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Hi all, got my clutch plates in the mail today from Baxter Cycle. I ordered one extra plain and one extra friction plate as it looked like there is room in the basket for one extra of each. Pics below show standard 4 and 5 plates and also with the extra one added 5 and 6, do you think there is an issue adding the extra plate or should I just go with the original quantity?
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
When you stack up the A65 plates they look more like your second set of images. If it was me I’d want to fill the basket more too. There’s plenty of room for the plain plate to ride up the centre and the friction plate to not leave the basket.

I’d look at either shortening or replacing that clutch push rod whilst I’m at it too. It’s heavily dimpled and will likely mushroom. It wants making flat then heating till cherry red then quenching in oil. I radius the ends on mine, making them a little more like a ball end.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: johnu
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Clutch push rod length may be your only issue. There were a number of different lengths available.

IME, an alloy pressure plate makes those clutches much nicer

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
2 members like this: BSA_WM20, johnu
J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I will get one of those ally pressure plates as I see they have the adjuster in the center. Do you use the spring holders from the old pressure plate?

Last edited by johnu; 04/23/22 8:36 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Johnu
Yes, there should be no reason to replace the spring cups
You will need to check that the springs are the correct ones and that they do not become coil bound when the clutch is pulled in
The alloy pressure plate with radial thrust bearing has a short pushrod as part of it and the old one has to be shortened to suit
Check the condition of the actuator thrust / adjuster on the kickstart side it has a captive ball bearing that should be free to rotate
The adjuster should be in line with the pushrod and the cable arm parallel or just past when the clutch is pulled in

John

J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Originally Posted by chaterlea25
Hi Johnu
Yes, there should be no reason to replace the spring cups
You will need to check that the springs are the correct ones and that they do not become coil bound when the clutch is pulled in
The alloy pressure plate with radial thrust bearing has a short pushrod as part of it and the old one has to be shortened to suit
Check the condition of the actuator thrust / adjuster on the kickstart side it has a captive ball bearing that should be free to rotate
The adjuster should be in line with the pushrod and the cable arm parallel or just past when the clutch is pulled in

John
Thanks for the info John! I supposed the trickiest part will be determining the correct length to cut the rod.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Johnu
Get a length of 1/4in. or 6mm mild steel rod, use this to experiment and get the correct length for the pushrod
once you are happy with the length of the MS rod use it as a guide to cut the original to size
Re harden both ends of the pushrod by heating to "cherry" red and quenching in water, polish the ends to bright steel and re heat
until it starts to discolour (straw colour) and leave to cool. test for hardness with a smooth file, it should not cut into the hardened ends

John

J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Clutch is all back together ready for a test ride this weekend!
[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: chaterlea25
J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
The new clutch set up is a total success it works a treat! Forty mile mountain loop this morning for testing. Plops into 1st now with little to no clunking, no slip, no drag and slips into neutral as easy as you like when stopped at the lights. Very happy, and thanks for the help guys.

1 member likes this: chaterlea25

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com