Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Bob Fletcher
Bob Fletcher
Calif-- Santa Barbara
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 70
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 27
NickL 26
Newest Members
Templarian, doug_chambers, NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz
12,120 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tridentman, Magnetoman, TR6Ray, Lannis, hardarser, henryanthony), 21 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,052
Posts769,394
Members12,120
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#877891 04/17/22 12:29 am
A
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
A
I pulled my trusty 1955 B33 out of winter storage today and it fired right up, as always. Strangely though, after a couple of hours of sitting, I tried to start it and the kick lever went down without turning the engine. My first thought was that the cotter pin had sheared off, but that wasn't the case. It felt as if the clutch was slipping.

I coasted it down a hill and let the clutch out in second gear which also failed to turn the engine. After a couple of tries, though the push starting did work and I rode the bike for 45 minutes or so without issue. It also started normally after that ride, as if there had never been a problem.

I could understand it doing this if the clutch was shot, but it would just keep doing it, not get better. Any idea what's going on?

BSA on eBay
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Only thing that I can contribute is "Are you SURE that the kickstart cotter pin hasn't sheared?"

I had one shear once, and both pieces stayed in place and didn't fall out. One of the pieces would occasionally catch the lever and turn it, but it wouldn't start the bike, and unless you watched carefully to see if the shaft was turning, you couldn't tell what was happening .... Thought for SURE it was a sheared clutch or quadrant, but replacing the cotter was the answer.

Just an idea ....

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Clutch or actuator mech sticking?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
if the cotter sheered, you could still push start the bike. Something is sticking from sitting, I would start with the cable, and work thru the throw out mech and actuator as Nick says.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
Another couple triumphs
and no Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Assuming the clutch lever has some free play....

I think I would check two things for starters. Check the primary for overfilling. These bikes will wet sump and over fill the primary case causing the clutch to misbehave. It usually causes dragging but can cause slipping too.

Next, check the clutch adjustment on the right side of the gearbox to be sure the push rod has some slack.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
A steel quadrant in a steel bush left standing for years is asking for rust .
Return spring could e the older thinner style which looses tension very easily
Or a new style fitted into old style covers without modification.
Another thought is the rubber stopper breaking off & dropping into the bottom of the cover .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
my money would go on one of the plates getting "hung up" on some notching of the clutch basket grooves ....that could explain the intermittent nature of the failure ...only one way to find out and that is strip the plates out of the clutch and take a look at the (possibly) offending grooves ...post some pics if you can.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
2 members like this: Dave Martin, gavin eisler

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com