Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (MrMarty51, bill50cal, Robert Dentico, Steve Erickson, Lannis), 23 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#874376 03/13/22 7:47 pm
MikeG Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've taken on the task of getting a neighbors Kawasaki KLR running after a 4or 5 year sleep. I know, its not Brit but it's still s nice bike. The carb and tank are gummed up with very old gas and Marvel Mystery oil. He always ran non ethanol fuel so there is no rust, but whats in the tank is like tar and smelled like the old gas smell I remembered back in the good old days of leaded premium pump gas. I'm thinking that a good soak and rinse with dry gas (alcohol) will melt/loosen/dissolve the mung in the tank maybe? The carb is coming clean with a soak in Hydro Seal but thats not practical for the tank.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You need more gasoline. Fire with fire kinda work

Full time classic motorcycle mechanic and enthusiast to a fault
MikeG #876562 04/03/22 11:04 am
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
You might try "white gas," which is what is used in Coleman lamps and camp stoves.

Available in gallon cans at sporting goods stores and some hardware stores.

Very flammable, but pure, and can act as a solvent to dissolve old car fuel gasoline.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Coleman fuel is Naphtha

Last edited by AngloBike; 04/03/22 8:06 pm.
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Acetone and drywall screws. Shaken, not stirred.

When it looks perfectly clean, add fuel and start motor. You may find vibration has loosened even more hardened fuel and has clogged the taps. Rinse and repeat...

1 member likes this: BobV07662
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
I have used lacquer thinner to dissolve coating/crap in gas tanks, sometimes with lots of old screws, shaken not stirred. When I am satisfied that the coatings, etc are gone, I treat the tank with phosporic acid, sold at Home Depot or Lowes as "Klean Strip, Phosphoric Prep and Etch", which works over the rust. Length of time depends on the amount of corrosion. When its done, l rinse with lacquer thinner, let dry, and it is ready for gas. Pretty simple, cheap, and not too difficult. Obviously, if the tank has paint you wish to save, you probably should another solvent or just hot, soapy water and air dry

Last edited by wildbill; 04/04/22 5:00 pm.
MikeG #876725 04/04/22 10:18 pm
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I have user varioius pour in tank carb cleaners in the past. See what walmart has on sale.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Originally Posted by wildbill
I have used lacquer thinner to dissolve coating/crap in gas tanks, sometimes with lots of old screws, shaken not stirred. When I am satisfied that the coatings, etc are gone, I treat the tank with phosporic acid, sold at Home Depot or Lowes as "Klean Strip, Phosphoric Prep and Etch", which works over the rust. Length of time depends on the amount of corrosion. When its done, l rinse with lacquer thinner, let dry, and it is ready for gas. Pretty simple, cheap, and not too difficult. Obviously, if the tank has paint you wish to save, you probably should another solvent or just hot, soapy water and air dry

Right! I use a phosphoric acid treatment that leaves a coating of zinc to prevent flash rusting. It’s a PPG product that is available from auto paint distributers. If the tank will not be used right away, I would coat the inside with clean motor oil. This can be easily rinsed out later with gas.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
And the name of that product would be?????

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Originally Posted by PFribley

Sorry, when I wrote my comment I didn’t feel like going out to the garage whistle.

PPG DX520 but that was years ago. Might now be SX520. I haven’t purchased any in a while. I also use it to remove rust from small hardware bits, nuts, bolts, etc. I soak them in a glass jar. You have to monitor the process. The stuff is pretty aggressive. It makes bubbles when working. When done I screw the cap on and save it until next time. Beware of sticker shock - $35 for a quart!

MikeG Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by henryanthony
Originally Posted by PFribley

Sorry, when I wrote my comment I didn’t feel like going out to the garage whistle.

PPG DX520 but that was years ago. Might now be SX520. I haven’t purchased any in a while. I also use it to remove rust from small hardware bits, nuts, bolts, etc. I soak them in a glass jar. You have to monitor the process. The stuff is pretty aggressive. It makes bubbles when working. When done I screw the cap on and save it until next time. Beware of sticker shock - $35 for a quart!

SEM makes a similar product called Rust Mort. I've also used Evap-O-Rust for the same thing.
As a followup, I gave the tank back to the bikes owner and told him to have a go at it. He used acetone to get the sludge out then did the hand full of screws and shake trick. Worked fine.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
MikeG #876946 04/06/22 11:30 pm
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but remove the petcock(s) before cleaning the tank. I know, it's a PITA because then you have to plug the hole(s), but you don't want to destroy screen filters which may be on the petcocks.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com