Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TinkererToo, Dave Comeau, Burga007), 21 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#876726 04/04/22 10:25 pm
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Anyone have a problem with the fork oil seeping past the threads of the chrome seal holders. 67 Spitfire.

BSA on eBay
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Plumbers Teflon sealing tape might help.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Yes. Service manual specifies "#5 cotton twine" in the groove at the bottom of the threads. One time I asked for "#5 cotton twine" in a hardware store, and the clerk looked at me like I was from another planet. So I try to find a good stiff twine that looks to be of an appropriate gauge, and I prefer the woven to the twisted sort. I also dip the twine in melted wax, and smear some silicone over all when done. Teflon tape on the threads also helps. Basically, do everything you can to keep them from leaking. Mine still leak ever so slightly, especially when hunkered down on its springs on a trailer.

There is also an O-ring that can take the place of the twine, but of course the forks must be disassembled to install that.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Take some teflon tape and twist it into a string. dig out what is left of the twine and replace with the teflon string. I would ( and did) get some teflon tread sealing paste and put that on the threads as well ..... had no leaks!

Teflon tape, rather than paste, might help on the threads but the threads are a bit fine for it in my view. If you can, get the paste that is approved for Gasoline etc. but honestly I personally doubt there is much, if any, difference. We are not taking about high pressure here!

If all else fails, just remember that all oil leaks eventually stop.

1 member likes this: Allan G
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
When building a set of forks, I have always used an O-ring instead of the twine. But to fix in place, a waxed twin is likely gonna be a decent solution.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Thanks for the advice friends. When I assembled the forks I never thought that a leak could occur there. At first I thought that the fork oil was leaking around the bolt at the bottom that holds the dampener. So I will dissemble and take appropriate measures. Thanks.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Take some teflon tape and twist it into a string. dig out what is left of the twine and replace with the teflon string. I would ( and did) get some teflon tread sealing paste and put that on the threads as well ..... had no leaks!

Teflon tape, rather than paste, might help on the threads but the threads are a bit fine for it in my view. If you can, get the paste that is approved for Gasoline etc. but honestly I personally doubt there is much, if any, difference. We are not taking about high pressure here!

If all else fails, just remember that all oil leaks eventually stop.

FWIW, "pipe dope" is the paste form of Teflon tape. Find in plumbing supplies.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com