Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dibnah, L.A.B., JER.Hill, gunner), 24 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It may be worth investigating a roll-out awning to provide additional shade.

1 member likes this: Magnetoman
Support your #1 Vincent Forum
I've had good results with a high pressure misting system to lower the ambient temperature in a small area.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by hardarser
When you've finished painting you can buy and store more bikes that 'er indoors doesn't know you've bought.
Genius idea! the 5'10"×7'4" interior easily could hold 3 bikes, with space left over.
Originally Posted by hardarser
Just tell everyone it's full of Funnel Webs and Redbacks,
My worry is that it actually might be full of them, plus the odd rattlesnake and Gila Monster. The downside of my plan to paint at night (just as the astronaut's clever plan to land on the sun at night had a downside) is that it's too hot during the daytime in summer for rattlesnakes to be out, so they are out in numbers after the sun goes down. "Behind the garage" means outside the (knock wood) snake-proof fence, directly adjacent to the area we respectfully refer to as 'rattlesnake gulch'.
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
I've had good results with a high pressure misting system to lower the ambient temperature in a small area.
It will be in full shade by around noon, so the only heat source all afternoon will be the ambient temperature. Even 100 oF doesn't feel bad when you're in the shade.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 03/28/22 12:47 am.
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
It will be in full shade by around noon

this does not make a lot of sense .
what time of year ?
must be in winter , under the Northside shadow of a tall wall ?

The good news is rattlesnakes
are slower when they're overheated ... and underheated
And can only strike about half the length of their bodies .
The bad news is they don't like their temperatures taken .

2 members like this: George Kaplan, Magnetoman
lol!

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
under the Northside shadow of a tall wall ? .
The wall of the very tall garage runs from NW to SE, and the shed will be located at the NW end of it, so shortly after the sun has passed overhead it will be in the shade.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Excellent idea, especially as it has folding rather than sliding doors, we had one with sliding doors and they were forever coming off the runners, so it ended up going to the dump.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
"Why not just buy one?"

My goodness, Madame Mman is going to regret her words.

Last edited by NYBSAGUY; 03/28/22 11:20 am.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
Madame Mman is going to regret her words.
Not for the first time. Beginning with "I do."

Originally Posted by gunner
especially as it has folding rather than sliding doors,
Unfortunately, six hours after I placed the order I got a notice that delivery will be delayed until April 26. I can cancel the order, but first I'll have to search again to see if there is a good alternative (and that would be delivered faster), decide if I believe the new delivery date, or go back to my original plan to build it myself. Nothing is ever easy. Sigh...

Might be worth a peek at FB Marketplace or Craigslist.
Someone nearby might be trying to get rid of something.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Might be worth a peek at FB Marketplace or Craigslist.
I should have, but didn't, think of that myself. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, though, no luck finding something appropriate. However, even if there was something, moving it would have been an issue. Even if somehow a shed could be delivered in one piece to the driveway in front of the garage, I'd still have to disassemble it to get it through the person-size gate to the location behind the garage. Oh well.

Good news on another front, though. Notice arrived today that I've been approved for one of the limited number of entries to the Irish Rally at the end of August. With suitable cautions that the event could be cancelled if covid restrictions change between now and then.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Good news on another front, though. Notice arrived today that I've been approved for one of the limited number of entries to the Irish Rally at the end of August. With suitable cautions that the event could be cancelled if covid restrictions change between now and then.
Looking at the COVID news here in Blighty and also some from the Emerald Isle I would say that whilst cancellation due to COVID is possible I would suggest that its unlikely.

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
whilst cancellation due to COVID is possible I would suggest that its unlikely.
Fingers crossed that you're correct. But the sudden onset, and huge subsequent spike, of Omicron is on my mind. With the Rally still five months away, there's plenty of time for covid to pull another rabbit out of its hat.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
With the Rally still five months away, there's plenty of time for covid to pull another rabbit out of its hat.
I would agree although I would also balance that with the rally being in summer when COVID infection rates were lower in 2020 & 2021.

Enough of this rabbit hole (to continue the rabbit theme) and back to the Vincent.

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Nothing is ever easy. Sigh...
Last night at 9:15pm I received an email from Lowes saying the shed would be delayed for a month and that if I wanted to cancel it, the email gave me a number to call. This morning I found the identical shed is available from Home Depot, with their site showing 9 were available for delivery. So, I ordered one from them, allegedly to be delivered to my house on Friday for $11.66 less than it's sold by Lowes. I checked their site again after I had placed my order and it now showed 8 available, adding some degree of confidence that they actually do have them in stock (again, knock wood).

At that point I called Lowes to cancel that order, receiving a message that all their agents were busy and they would call me back. When they called back 30 minutes later the agent told me the order couldn't be cancelled because it already had been shipped, for delivery on Wednesday. Unfortunately, by the time I was told that, the 45-minute window Home Depot has for cancelling orders had elapsed. Sigh...

Forty minutes and several holds later, I managed to convince the Lowes agent that the shipper (i.e. Lowes) had to cancel the delivery with FedEx, give me the cancellation number once she managed to get it from FedEx, and send me an email confirming I had cancelled the order. All of which I'll probably need when the charge still manages to appear on my next credit card statement and I have to dispute it. Sigh... Oh well, with luck I'm back to where I was yesterday afternoon, so that has to count as forward progress, doesn't it?

Interestingly, the diagrams showing the shed's dimensions are nearly identical on both sites, but with a few minor variations as seen on the following, with Lowes on top and Home Depot on the bottom.

[Linked Image]

Once I have the shed, all I need is a floor, floor covering, lights, caulk, air filters, filter holders, and ducting... However, it may be prudent to wait a day before ordering those things, in case delayed delivery forces me to cancel that order as well.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Wait, and for the foundation, you will need gravel, cement, sand, mesh rebar, a cement mixer, and H2O.

Last edited by NYBSAGUY; 03/28/22 6:28 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
you will need gravel, cement, sand, mesh rebar, a cement mixer, and H2O.
Luckily, I'm deliberately not keeping track of the cost of replacing one or two $5 rattle cans of paint.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Those expensive Hamilton paint brushes are starting to look bargains!

2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Those expensive Hamilton paint brushes are starting to look bargains!
I wouldn't know, because "I'm deliberately not keeping track of the cost."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi MM and All,
Either by coincidence or great minds thinking alike a new steel shed was delivered and erected last week in a space that had fallen into disuse
behind my other buildings. it is 10 x 17 feet in size..
It is not however going to be a spray booth !!! LOL

I had to wait for six months between ordering it and delivery, it would seem that there is huge demand for sheds and home office type buildings as a lot more people are working from home here in Ireland

I also received my Rally entry for August and really hope its going to happen

John

20220315_1255491.jpg
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Much as I hate to admit it, Chaterlea25's is bigger than mine. They are the same shape, though...

Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to start buying the things I would need for my shed, assuming the second order doesn't get cancelled. The area behind the garage where it will sit is basically flat and covered by gravel. I spent some time yesterday raking the gravel to make it as flat as possible by eye, but will deploy levels, transits, autocollimators, etc., as appropriate. Actually, I plan to tilt it slightly toward the door to make hosing it out easier.

My plan is to build a 7 ft ×9 ft. checkerboard foundation on the gravel using twenty 12"×12"×1.6" concrete paving stones (which are waiting for me to unload from the car), on which will go a 7 ft.×9 ft, "heavy duty" 7 mil plastic tarp (also in the car), all the better to keep the termites at bay, followed by a plywood floor to which the shed will be attached. I'll caulk (also in the car) the shed to the plywood, as well as caulk all the seams in the shed, and rely on the strength of the plywood for support over the 12" spaces between the paving stones.

A few of the items on my list that were supposed to be in the store, weren't, so I'll order them on-line to be picked up when I make a second trip in a few days to get the plywood for the floor, after I have the foundation ready. I have a plan for the air ducting and filters, but will wait to buy the components, on a third trip, until after I have the shed assembled and bolted down.

So, work to have the best downflow paint booth in the neighborhood is well underway. A filter on the inlet will keep paint mist away from the parts as well as dust off the wet paint, and a filter on the outlet will capture nearly all of the mist that makes it that far, eliminating the possibility of gloss black diamondback rattlesnakes prowling the neighborhood.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
And by another strange coincidence, I've been erecting a new wooden shed in my back garden, not yet finished.

The shed measures 10 x 6 ft and is placed on top of a purpose-made concrete base 3" thick. I used a damp proof membrane under the shed to keep dampness at bay.

I've treated the shed with multiple coats of wood preserver in a attempt to keep it in good condition.

There's still a lot of work to get it finished including:-
- adding the roof and roof felt
- adding the glass windows
- trimming off the excess damp proof membrane
- adding internal shelves

I'm considering adding an insulation layer internally and a small electric heater to keep the worst of the English weather at bay. and also some ventilation to ensure airflow.

The shed is intended to store one or 2 of my bikes and other equipment, as currently, my garage is overflowing and I can hardly move in there.

shed.jpg

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
2 members like this: Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You didn't say, but I assume you will paint the plywood floor with non-slip paint to give the gloss black snakes better purchase on the surface.

2 members like this: Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've been erecting a new wooden shed in my back garden,
It looks really good.

Ia damp proof membrane under the shed to keep dampness at bay.
Not quite the same issue for me.

I'm considering adding an insulation layer internally and a small electric heater to keep the worst of the English weather at bay.
If I could add insulation, which I can't because of dust, it would be to keep the worst of Sonoran desert summers at bay. An A/C unit would be far more useful than a heater for me.

currently, my garage is overflowing and I can hardly move in there.
Surely, that's an issue unique to you, that no one else reading this thread can relate to.

Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
I assume you will paint the plywood floor with non-slip paint
I will paint the plywood, because it does rain once in a while. But my plan is to buy a length of vinyl flooring to be trapped between the shed and plywood since walking on a painted surface is bound to generate particles.

As an aside, part of my lab included a 1000 sq.ft. Class 100 clean room with a smaller connected room that was Class 10. That rating system means the larger room had fewer than 1,000 particles of size greater than 0.5 µm per cubic meter. Everyone had to enter through an air shower that would blow any dust off the clean room suits. Despite that, at a certain time of every year we would find a few moths in the clean room, all of which were larger than 0.5 µm. We never could figure out how they got in there.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gunner--don't know what weather protection you are going to give to your new wooden shed but when I was living in England I had a couple of similar sheds.
The accepted method of weatherproofing the wood was to coat it (paint it) with creosote--available in different shades.
Come to think of it I have never seen creosote for sale in US.
However my experience was that the creosote faded quickly in the sun (yes--there is some sun--but not a lot-- in UK).
Then the dodge was to mix the creosote 60/50 with used engine oil and paint the shed with that.
Lasted well for years and years!
HTH

Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com