Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Les P
Les P
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (HughdeMann, DavidH, Hugh Jörgen, NickL, reverb, Doug P), 16 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#875172 03/21/22 12:46 am
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
I've spent several hours searching the Norton manual, the "Access Norton" archives back as far as they go, and this forum's archives back to 2006 (177 posts containing the words "air filter") and can't find any information on this question. Maybe it's just too simple.

MKIII with the stock airbox. Took the front plate off, and the filter was installed on the "floor" of the airbox.

[Linked Image]

So (probably as long as I've had the bike), outside air has been coming straight through the intake horns under the airbox and into the carbs, bypassing the filter element (hence the ring job I'm doing now).

There appear to be three positions, three slots, that the filter can be slid into. One is where it was when I opened it, on the floor of the airbox, useless. There are two more slots above it; when I remove the filter and slide it into the top slot, it appears to be in the right place - air that comes in through the intake horns has to go through the filter to get to the carb mouths.

Am I the only one who ever noticed that there are apparently three ways the filter can go in? I swear there's nothing in the manual or on any of the forums about it ..... ?

The present filter is not in that great a shape, so I'll see if CBS can get me one in their usual two days. The carbs and head are off now so it's easy to get the filter in and out; is it still possible to change that filter element with the two Amals in place, which they will be tomorrow afternoon I hope?

Thanks!

Lannis

I used mind control on a person at an auction.
They now do my bidding.
Norton on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It is the same as my Mk2a.
The filter with its internal frame goes in the middle slot/recess.
There should be another foam rectangle that seals the access door at that front location. 06.4174

Last edited by Les P; 03/21/22 4:15 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Somewhere in that location the filter will slide in, a light smear of grease optional on the perimeter .

Norton-air-filter2.jpg
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Thanks much! I don't know if the filter element will come with the foam seal for the front access, but if it doesn't, it doesn't seem like it would be hard to make one ....

Lannis

They now do my bidding.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It is a separate item at around $9. To rich for my Moto Guzzi ness.

ab.jpg
Last edited by Les P; 03/21/22 4:31 am.
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
I'm sorry to keep asking what should be simple questions, addressed in 100 different places on the Internet or on this forum, but I can't find it anywhere. Not one word about the flat foam MkIII air filter in the Norton 69 - 75 manual, just the big automotive type.

The pics I showed above, where the air filter simply slides in and out of the airbox, was taken with no cylinder head or carbs on the bike.

The cylinder head and carbs are on the bike now. I'd like to slide the air filter back into the airbox, but there doesn't appear to be any way to do it with the carbs and cylinder head in the way. I've been treating it like a Chinese puzzle, turning it every whichaway. But it's a rigid item, doesn't bend, and it just looks like it absolutely will not go in.

This can't be as hard as it seems. Although I'm not a patient guy, I have a very patient helper, and she will calm me down and say "let's look at this logically" when I'm ready to take a hacksaw or a stick of dynamite to something that's not working, and we STILL can't get it. How come I've never heard about this issue before .... ? I've read everything I can get my hands on and it's still not helping .....

Lannis

They now do my bidding.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Lannis
I'm sorry to keep asking what should be simple questions, addressed in 100 different places on the Internet or on this forum, but I can't find it anywhere. Not one word about the flat foam MkIII air filter in the Norton 69 - 75 manual, just the big automotive type.

The Mk3 manual is for Mk3 only.
Air filter, Section E10.
https://nortonmotorcycles.org/media/manuals/850_man.pdf

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Lannis

The Mk3 manual is for Mk3 only.
Air filter, Section E10.
https://nortonmotorcycles.org/media/manuals/850_man.pdf

Thanks for that. I didn't have that manual, didn't know there was a separate one since the one I was using referred to the MkIII '75 models when telling me about torque values, and differences in the heads, and everything else.

Lannis

They now do my bidding.
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
But it's a rigid item, doesn't bend, and it just looks like it absolutely will not go in.

Goes in from the right side.
The narrow front tab goes toward the center but hangs low.
Pull the head oiler line toward the extreme right edge of the opening and the rounded edge of the filter rotates about the oil line while the tab enters the filter houseingt opening.the front filter edge is running at the very bottom edge of the barrel/crank case junction even entering the little curved filter section at the middle ....as the filter rotates and enters the housingyou you can raise the front of the filter element and guide it inwarrd ( keeping the oil line out of the way ) and putting the element in the groove pointed out by Les P.

I just did mine a second ago.
Tough to describe but once you see exact process it is relatively easy.

dynodave
I like Norton Heavy Twins
http://atlanticgreen.com
INOA
NENO
http://www.NNENO.org
NOC
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Dave -

No, you described it perfectly. I read what you posted, walked out to the shop, and in one motion, about 2 seconds, I had the filter in after fighting it for what seemed like hours.

All I can say is that I'm learning a lot about this bike, and I won't have to ask these questions again.

Thanks, Les P., Dave, L.A.B .... couldn't do it without you and the others that have helped in this process.

Lannis

They now do my bidding.
1 member likes this: Dave Comeau
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
oh lannis do you peruse the accessnorton site? i got my Commando education (still learning) there

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
If you ignore all the 'opinions' there that don't have a clue !

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by raf940
oh lannis do you peruse the accessnorton site? i got my commando education (still learning) there

Yes, I'm on over there. I've posted about things like the anti-wet-sumping modifications to the timing cover and so forth.

But since I'm here on this site anyway, AND some of the smart guys from other there are here too, I just use (hopefully not abuse) the expertise here.

Lannis

They now do my bidding.

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com