Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#874451 03/14/22 7:26 pm
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Need some safety wire as I reassemble the Norton. I was all out, so I went out to buy some.

Three auto supply places, and nobody knew what it even was, much less had any for sale.

I don't expect auto store employees to be expert mechanics. But how do you get this far in life and never even read a magazine article or a manual about it?

No wonder we're shaking our canes at these youngsters.

Lannis

Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time and your government when it deserves it.
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Try aircraft supply houses. It's required for some airplane uses.

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Irish Swede

I went on line and turns out that most of the auto parts places can get it, but they don't have it in the store, and they don't know what it is ....

I guess I'm still used to the days when a guy who was working the counter in an auto parts place had some interest in automobiles, had worked on his own cars, and would at least try to found out what kinds of things his store carried and what they were for. Everyone's just a computer button pusher now ....

Lannis

Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time and your government when it deserves it.
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Deadstiffcatt
Along those lines, it is fun to go into an O'reillycheckerkragen and ask if they can get headlamp parts for an '05 Rolls Royce. Most of the time I've heard yes, what do you need?
I pull the headlight out of the box tucked under my arm and tell them it needs a wick and some lamp oil..........oh, by the way, I meant 1905.....

I've actually done something like that; into Advance Auto and ask for an oil pan gasket for a 1970 Ford Pinto. "You actually have a Pinto?" they ask.

"No, I actually have a 1966 Morgan 4/4, but if I'd asked for a gasket for that, you would have said you don't have any ....", and I was right. Morgans are not on the computer. 1600cc Cortina-block engines, however, were common in the day ....

Lannis

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Irish Swede

ANYone who competes on our local road tracks on a bike must safety-wire certain plugs and bolts, which ones exactly depend on the organization.

But you'd think there would be thousands of guys using safety wire for competition, much less those who use it because they like the security of it.

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some years back I went into Pep Boys, walked up to the counter and asked for a pair of NGK B8ES plugs (nobody around here carries Champions).

The kid behind the counter asked "What vehicle is this for?".

"1972 Triumph T100R" says I.

He taps on his keyboard. "That's not in our system".

Not only had I given hm the precise part I wanted, but I could see the plugs on the shelf behind him. But it wasn't in his system. Sigh.

Now I just order a batch of the correct Champions from Rock Auto when they're on sale. Saves a lot of aggravation.

-Tony

73 Norton Interstate
72 Triumph T100R
67 BSA 441
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lannis,

Have you tried Harbour Freight if you have one in your area? I picked up my roll of .041 wire there…prefer .032 but take what I can get.

Nate.

Last edited by Nate stuch; 03/15/22 12:34 am.

46 Norton Model 18
66 Lightning
73 Commando
22 Bonneville T-120 green Goldline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Fly fishing shops and jewelry craft stores will also
Carry soft stainless steel wire ... in close-enough small diameters
( 0.8mm , 20 gauge ~ ? )
to use as safety wire . ... maybe some 15lb fishing leader wire ?

Last edited by quinten; 03/15/22 12:53 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would think that safety wire is a bit specialized for a generic auto parts store. Unless the staff is familiar with racing I can understand their ignorance. Perhaps you should be shopping at a performance auto shop?
BTW: If you want Champion N3 you really should ask for the Champion part number, 801. N3 is a heat range and thread spec NOT a part number. "Never you mind what I want it for, just gimee the damn part!"

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Safety wire is still widely used in the aviation industry, not so much in car motorcycle applications (except for racing).
You will certainly succeed when you try at a aircraft supply outfit.

Last edited by Peter R; 03/16/22 9:08 am.

1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness , MURPHY's preferred smile
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You can get .021", .028", .032" .041".....

Brought right to your door (some next day) if you swipe right on the "A" site.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The stories about Pep Boys and Advance Auto remind me of a long since bankrupt chain we had around here, "Trak Auto."

I live at the edge of a suburban area that changes into almost all rural all the way to the Mississippi River. Many, many pick-up trucks around here.
I needed brake shoes and a wheel cylinder for what was then my '77 3/4-ton Chevy C-20.

Trak didn't have them. Not even as a computer listing.

I asked: "Why not?"

"Oh, Sir, our corporation headquarters is in New Jersey. Not many such trucks there!"

But they had all the cheap floor mats and chrome tailpipe extensions you could dream of.

(They went out of business, at least in our area, about 1995.)

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Lots of good advice, and I've quit moaning now. Should have just mail-ordered it in the first place, I guess. The chain parts places all have it next day, they just don't keep any in the stores.

Lannis

knuckle head
knuckle head
Hmm, what was the last mass produced car using safety wire on Fasteners? I been driving junk since 1964 and two come to mind ,Flathead Ford V8 last made in 1953 and maybe the inner timing cover bolts on the “stovebolt” Chevy 6’s last made in 63…there maybe others however like tractors etc…Hmm, did the local parts store in 1964 have parts on the shelf for 50 year old cars?

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You would have been disappointed if they did have any wire anyway Lannis. Most of what Dorman and other parts suppliers list is heavy gauge "mechanics" wire. The galvanized kind that you use to hold your muffler back up with when the hangers rot off. Unless you ask for stainless safety wire thats probably what they would have given you.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by MikeG
You would have been disappointed if they did have any wire anyway Lannis. Most of what Dorman and other parts suppliers list is heavy gauge "mechanics" wire. The galvanized kind that you use to hold your muffler back up with when the hangers rot off. Unless you ask for stainless safety wire thats probably what they would have given you.

Mike -

Yep, they've all got "wire" but I realized that I needed actual stainless safety wire when I tried twisting the hardware store wire that I had and it just popped.

I was a bit disappointed in the NAPA place, because they cater to truck fleets and people building cars for the local racetracks and such, not just guys looking for the "oil change package" and bottles of tire black.

Turns out you can get it almost anywhere, but you have to order it. I have a lifetime supply now .... probably 3 generations worth unless our family produces an A&P technician or a racing mechanic!

I honestly do my best to support the local brick-and-mortar businesses, but they don't make it easy sometimes.

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Harbor Freight

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lannis, Google “stainless steel safety wire racing”. HTH

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Harbor Freight

I don't go in there. Way too cheap and nasty, and I say that as a fairly tight money saver.

Lannis

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by henryanthony
Lannis, Google “stainless steel safety wire racing”. HTH

Yep. I bought the first item that showed up on that search.

safetywire.jpeg (55.26 KB, 136 downloads)

1 member likes this: henryanthony
Born To Run
Born To Run
Hey Lannis,

Can you drop a 10' length of that in the mail for me? I'll DM you my address and Venmo you the postage. Beats having to go to the local auto parts store laugh

(Kidding)

Steve

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140LE TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Hey Lannis,

Can you drop a 10' length of that in the mail for me? I'll DM you my address and Venmo you the postage. Beats having to go to the local auto parts store laugh

(Kidding)

Steve

I'll do it, you know, and won't ask anything for it. That's more safety wire than I'll use in my life.

Some years ago, I was trying to buy the special socket-head bolts for the front axle clamps on my Guzzi Centauro, ones that would not "gall" in the aluminum forks and seize. They were $8 EACH from Guzzi. I found a box of 50 at McMaster Carr for $19.

I've been sending pairs of those bolts to any Centauro owners who ask for twenty years and still have a bunch of them ..... !

Lannis

1 member likes this: JubeePrince
knuckle head
knuckle head
Land speed racing rules require axles, related Fasteners and oil filters to be safety wired…I also wire brake Fasteners. .032 soft galvanized wire is easy to work with..Tech inspectors only said something when I used non galvanized wire that got a bit of rust, they said I was cheap..

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...I asked about the fish SS wire here and is from USA; too expensive at 65 Dollars (300 meters long) The package do not say the gauge.
What other could be used?
The construction soft wire to to attach the steel bars is black and be rusted in no time.

-Also; what is the best way to do the safety wring when there are no flanges or like that in the nuts; etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com