Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy, DMadigan, Magnetoman, desco), 10 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,193
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#874056 03/10/22 1:03 am
L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Hello fellow Gold Star owners! I'm getting some parts together for my CB34. The top end on my bike has a worn piston. It still has the Oval crank. I have tried reaching out to Phil Pearson with no luck. I do have an old email direct to him, but was trying to use his new business address. From my research on this forum, His business address is now at the website bsagoldstar.bike. I have tried that site and sent in an inquiry, with no response. So website shows a listing for an NEB crank. that's not the same as a Pearson crank is it? I am not on Facebook so I don't know yet that is the valid site. Can any of you comment?

Alternately… since the engine on this bike has the oval flywheel, Would it be worth considering simply changing the conrod to a Carillo and call it a day?

Another thing about the engine on my bike, is that it has a M20 timing cover on it. It does not have the rotating breather. I was able to find a timing cover as spare with the quill on it so I'm partway to having the right breather setup. If I was considering pure function, is it worth it to get all the rest of the bits to complete the stock breather setup? I could just go with a reed breather. Please, let me know your opinions if you have them.

Thanks for your time and attention. And thanks to Microsoft for voice to text. I am using that system right now because I have two broken wrists after a highside get off on my Moto guzzi.

Last edited by L.A.kevin; 03/10/22 4:17 am.
BSA Goldstar on eBay
N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
Hey Kevin,

Really bad news about your wrists. Get well soon.

Phil Pearson has retired, and is no longer making cranks. Other people may know if his son is still selling off some parts, and bits and pieces, but don't expect a response from Phil himself.

I can't answer the question about the oval crank, but if you are looking for a new crank, you might try John Cronshaw Racing, in the UK, or ABSAF in the Netherlands.

Good luck with everything.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Sounds like a great project. I am not sure which timing cover your engine should have. However when I look at the BSA Gold Star Super Profile by the late John Gardner it seems like the CB engines still had the quill oil feed but introduced the timed breather. The introduction of the DB engines saw the change to the oil seal type timing cover.

Does your crank have the shaft end for the quill or for the oil seal type cover? Does the timing cover you have located have the threaded outlet for a timed breather?

As for cranks a new conrod such as a Carrillo seems to make sense if you are rebuilding the engine. The ABSAF cranks come with the Carrillo rod. I went that route for my ZB34GS engine and was pleased by the service and the product.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
NYBSA... thanks for the input and sympathy.

Gordo... you reminded me I should check my library. I have the book 'Goldie'. My CB34 (not 32) does have the non oil seal end.

K

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by L.A.kevin
....... Alternately… since the engine on this bike has the oval flywheel, Would it be worth considering simply changing the conrod to a Carillo and call it a day? ........
I'm running the oval flywheels in my CB34 right now that are modified to use the DB and later type lip seal oil feed. It is smooth enough that the mirror is surprisingly clear. So I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with oval wheels. BSA went back to round ones on the DB engines when they found a shorter piston skirt to clear a round flywheel worked just fine and took less machining.

.......Another thing about the engine on my bike..........It does not have the rotating breather...... is it worth it to get all the rest of the bits to complete the stock breather setup?.........
The check valve breather will spit out more oil and can't keep up at the higher revs of your CB engine so if you are a mellow rider you'll probably be just fine. But, if you appreciate a good handful of throttle and that rush to redline a Clubman's spec GS happily delivers, you're gonna want the timed breather. A Carrillo rod makes sense too.

Have a good look at the rivets holding the shafts in place. They loosen and often got crudely re-peened to tighten them up. That might be the final push to nudge you toward getting a complete new crank assembly. That should simplify your breather and oil feed dilemma too as the later covers are more common.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
There’s a note in this month’s Goldie mag from Jon Luke about just this problem. Apparently the use of just the new type oil seal without the quill fitted just about works since the end of the CB crank just kisses the end of the seal. Sounds more like good luck so not recommended.

Jon has a drawing of the extension piece part number 65-2515 and making one in a lathe will be no big deal I think, it’s a press fit in the end of early crankshafts.

Phil Pearson junior is still offering all the Goldie work and I believe probably cranks. Email address is [email protected] and web site is www.bsagoldstar.bike. Phone number in UK 07930 109694 so just drop the first zero and use +44 to ring from overseas.

Mal

Daytona Gold Star replica
BB34 1953
350 MV Augusta
Aermacchi racer
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
HI try [email protected] he has lots of goldie spares,tell him val told you.

N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
Mal is quite correct, Phil's son is continuing the parts business, which is great news. They are offering cranks from NEB / Joe Maxwell Engineering.

You should find this link useful: https://joemaxwell-engineering.com/shop.html

Last edited by NYBSAGUY; 03/10/22 3:24 pm.
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Those crank extension bits are around. I got a couple from Len Haggis some years ago. I had an engineer measure one for a BB34A engine to ensure the interference was correct and then he just tapped it into the shaft. He also used a bit of loctite type stuff to ensure it would not come out.

Gordo

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
In case it helps, the photograph shows the relevant dimensions from my Pearson crankshaft.

[Linked Image]

The length of the 'nose' isn't well defined because of the neighboring threads, so the length from the flywheel face is what I would use if I were machining a nose to replace the pipe in an older-type crankshaft since that length determines how far into the timing cover the nose will stick. I measured the lengths with a caliper so they're ±0.001", but the diameter with a calibrated micrometer so it's ±0.0001". I used the shanks of drill bits to measure the ID (a #20 fits so it's at least 0.161", but a #19 doesn't so it's smaller than 0.166"). I could measure it more accurately but the precise diameter isn't critical so the drill bits should be good enough.

Let me know if there's any other measurements or photographs that would help your hands-free engine assembly.

1 member likes this: L.A.kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mal Marsden
......Jon has a drawing of the extension piece part number 65-2515 and making one in a lathe will be no big deal I think, it’s a press fit in the end of early crankshafts........
This is true. They are easy to make on a lathe. I have made the extension piece and converted two cranks recently, an BB34GS and a CB34GS. One small word of caution, be very sure of your interference fit because the T/S bore can get worn from a bent quill, running out of true, BSA quality control...etc.

Also, make the nose a little oversize and final machine it to size once it is loctited into the crank. This makes it a crank out and apart operation. Reason for this? Both ones I did, once pressed in did not run true at all. Your luck might be better but I wouldn't count on it. Oil seals seal best when the seal surface runs true.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
Mal is quite correct, Phil's son is continuing the parts business, which is great news. They are offering cranks from NEB / Joe Maxwell Engineering.

To be correct..

N.E.B is N.E.B and “Joe Maxwell Engineering” is NOT a producer for N.E.B.

Joe is a Dealer/re seller of N.E.B, so is Phil Pearson jr. and so does my company ;-)
The crankshafts for Goldstars are excellent products, as are their clutches…

Harold / Motolab.nl
BSA: WM20 '40 M21,B31 '54 B33 '55 ZB34GS '49, DBD34GS '58, DBD34GS ‘61
Triumph 5T '49 + T100 + speedkit
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
BMW R51/3 '51, R100GS '89
2 members like this: L.A.kevin, NYBSAGUY
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Kevin,
Is that you on the cover of the March 2022 Piled Arms, on a Gold Star?
Looking good if it's you, or even if it isn't you.

L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Hey Stuart,

Yep, that's me on my DBD34. That's the pretty goldie. The subject of this thread is my 55 CB34, the scruffy desert racer.

That photo, and it being on the cover of the newsletter, surprised the crap out of me! :-)

Look for a future article in the Piled Arms about my crash.

Kevin

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
.... being on the cover of the newsletter, surprised the crap out of me!......
I hear you, but anyone riding a Gold Star is a big deal in the BSA club. Extra attention is inevitable.

Are you thinking of riding your "scruffy desert racer" on the club dual sport rides maybe, once you heal up? (Less dangerous than street riding. That's why I do it.)

L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Thanks again to the community.

Another question... can later DB/DBD barrels be used on CB crankcases? There is an extra hold down stud uder the valve adjuster cover. Aren't the studs larger on later crankcases?

Kevin

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
If a DBD head/barrel can be plonked directly on a set of B31 cases without modification, I'm sure the same can be said for CB.
Just ignore the extra tapped hole in the bottom of pushrod tunnel

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Kevin: As for the stud sizes over the years the top end had two different sizes going into the head depending on the model but the bottom end that threads into the cases did not change.

Gordo

L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Motolab
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY

To be correct..

N.E.B is N.E.B and “Joe Maxwell Engineering” is NOT a producer for N.E.B.

Joe is a Dealer/re seller of N.E.B, so is Phil Pearson jr. and so does my company ;-)
The crankshafts for Goldstars are excellent products, as are their clutches…

Harold,

I sent you a couple private messages. Still looking for a crankshaft.

Kevin

L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Thanks to Harold for selling me a crankshaft. My project is progressing.

I'm also recovering from my two broken wrists- finally. I had two surgeries to correct some previous work and I'm gaining more and more motion back. Have decided to not cancel my September trip to the Isle of Man and Scotland on a rented bike.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Hi Kevin,

Thanks, you are welcome!

Have fun with your beautifull short conrod DB/DBD crankshaft…

For everyone who like to know what he bought here is an image:

[Linked Image from cdn.myonlinestore.eu]

I just used one myself in a DBD34GS S engine, mounted in a ‘55 B31. Engine was finished on friday, to take the bike with me to attend at the BSA IR in Belgium on the saturday a day later, everything was last week. So i did run the engine in, on the rally in the Belgium Ardennes…

Flauwless offcourse, never missed a beat ;-)

Good luck and fun with it!

Cheers
Harold

Last edited by Motolab; 07/24/22 9:22 pm. Reason: Grammar

Harold / Motolab.nl
BSA: WM20 '40 M21,B31 '54 B33 '55 ZB34GS '49, DBD34GS '58, DBD34GS ‘61
Triumph 5T '49 + T100 + speedkit
Moto Guzzi LeMans '79
BMW R51/3 '51, R100GS '89
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Harold: That is a very nice looking crank. When I look at any of the original cranks with rivets holding the shafts on I am reminded that the GS engines were from the same era that was still producing and using Steam locomotives.

Gordo

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com