Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Goleta, California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gordo in Comox, Magnetoman, Tom A65LR, raf940, Hugh Jörgen, Jon W. Whitley), 13 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,577
Posts776,831
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#872467 02/19/22 11:04 am
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Hello all, I have recently acquired a 75 T160V to be a companion to my 74 Commando. It is in rather good original condition and done less than 1200 miles spending a long, long time in a garaged collection. It is UK/European spec, not a US import.

It has age related issues that I will be wanting to address as and when I can. At the moment that’s all up in the air as I did the deal for it 5 weeks ago after selling my ZZR1400 and Hayabusa, and then just over 2 weeks ago I had a heart attack and spent a week in CCU while they kept me alive. I got home 10 days ago, taking it all very, very carefully while I wait for my triple bypass surgery sometime soon. Then of course a few days ago the bike was delivered, much to my wife’s delight facepalm.

How do I display pictures on here?

1974 Norton Commando 850 mk2a
1975 Triumph Trident T160 750
British motorcycles on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Flatspot
How do I display pictures on here?

As you are not a Premium (or higher) member then you need to upload to a picture to a Hosting site such as https://postimages.org/ (basic service is free) then (for postimage) copy and paste the "Hotlink for forums" URL of each image into your message.

(The T160 is just that. No 'V') smile

Last edited by L.A.B.; 02/19/22 11:43 am.
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L

Nearly:
= "Hotlink for forums"
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by L.A.B.; 02/19/22 11:49 am.
1 member likes this: Flatspot
Flatspot #872471 02/19/22 11:53 am
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
OK. I’m now premium member.

ED1C7BFB-4DE8-4D29-B164-A73DC328C223.jpeg
Last edited by Flatspot; 02/19/22 11:54 am. Reason: Add pic

1 member likes this: Morgan aka admin
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Thanks for the assist Les

1 member likes this: L.A.B.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Flatspot----first of all welcome to the forum and to triple ownership.
Very sorry to hear of your health problems and hope that you get over them as quickly as possible.
A very nice original T160 (BTW as Les says the V at the end is not used for T160s---it is used on T150s as the earlier ones had 4 speeds whereas the later T150s had 5 speeds. All T160s had 5 speeds).
I am sure that when your health permits you will start fettling the Trident and we will try our best to answer any questions that you might have.
Happy Tripling!

Online Content
Happy Tripling!
In both contexts!
smile

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
1972 Commando - 'Bitsa'
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Following a nice piece of advice on the AN forum I have made a start collecting some “useful” spare parts.

Genuine workshop manual and a spare parts listing
Oil pressure gauge kit
Sump plate with drain plug
Lifting handle
and then a few other little Knick-knacks, rubber bushes and some perishables.

What other “must haves” can you suggest for an otherwise totally stock bike? I have seen its got a Boyer mk3 ignition fitted from way back when. Also it has an Assen Motos sticker under the seat, so presumably it was a Dutch import.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Difficult to answer without going for a ride. I believe your brakes will need some fettling but buying parts before even trying it has no sense. What do you know about a bike, did somebody tried to make it running before a sale? Did you see it running?

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
As I alluded to above, my riding possibilities have been put on the back burner following my heart attack - but I can do some sensible gentle work in the garage on the ramp. The bike is as new and 1162 miles only, and previously owned by a very good friend for 28 years in his collection. It has been recommissioned and starts just like a new one should. But even when new they had issues, I’d like to see what I can do while I’m waiting to ride.

Fortunately these days, the collective knowledge of many years of experience of owners can be called upon to advise of useful mods to be done. For example, I know that my 74 Commando if it’s left without being run for 2/3 months - like when I’m exploring Europe by motorhome, it will wet sump and overflow via the belt drive onto the floor and make a hell of a mess - answer, drain the oil tank and sump via the “modded” sump filter unit.

Additionally, these early disc brakes were atrocious, there are fixes, I’ll do them. Just like I did on the Commando which now has almost 2 finger braking. I’d just like to know what are the ‘collective intelligence’ suggestions. Here’s a pic of the Yam Exup disc and 6 pot caliper I’ve fitted.

C233FFF9-4B4B-474D-9081-6BC0A63B5219.jpeg

Slow and old
Slow and old
Sounds like a good list for a new-to-you old bike. Having the manual to study while recovering is wise. I'd check the date code on the tires as they tend to have finite lifetimes. Filters, gaskets, other consumables.

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
pijones has a Britbike again
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hello all, I have recently acquired a 75 T160.......It has age related issues that I will be wanting to address as and when I can........
Have the various oil seals been replaced when it was recommissioned? If they are still the originals, they will be hardened and probably unable to do their job anymore. This means oil getting into the points, the clutch and an extra helping on your floor. The points and the floor are the lesser problems but the clutch can open up a can of worms. I apologize for having tactlessly mentioned such unpleasantness, but there is plenty of help available here to get you sorted out. BTW, great looking bike.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Nice bike!

I agree, need to be clear eyed, mine had 9000 km on the clock when i got it, also been in a museum for a looong time , but took a few months of work to get it running right. (Dried up , slightly leaking engine sprocket seal for example requires going into the clutch which then requires..... well........ a lot.....). With a bit of riding its possible that leaks form PRTs become visible, etc..

You will probably have wet sumping issues as well, they are unfortunately well known for that but they rarely leak over the floor. More likely to empty tank and run dry for the first 30 seconds shorting bearing life if not drained / refilled. I have one of these hand pump vacuum suction thingies (2litre capacity) and I suck out around a litre when parking her up for winter. I then dump that back in before starting up. Also super handy for oil changes.

But I concur that the best approach is to try to ride gently as much as possible to get a feel for what good and bad and what's leaking where etc.

First thing is the clear petrol hose, still soft and pliable?

Enjoy.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
As part of its recommissioning for me prior to delivery it has had a few new bits and pieces that I’ve seen so far

2 new tyres
Brake master cylinder + hose
Throttle cable
Clutch cable + clutch lever
battery
Spark plugs
Oil
Handlebar grips

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
You have also a rear disc brake, so has to be prepared with at least a hose ( they have a tendency to delaminate with time ) and more effective brake pads for both of them. Both masters and calipers could get rusty and work poorly. Before starting any riding I'd dismantle them from a bike, take them apart and clean / recondition as needed. They are very simple in design. I also found out I much prefer to work with silicone DOT5 in those brakes then messy DOT3 or 4..For me the front end was ( and still is ) much to harsh during riding, so I'm trying to improve it's action during years of ownership, however yours is later and could be better for you. Be prepared that after some riding some leaks could develop, but as others said start riding firs and rectify problems which show up during next winter. You could have some problems with electric starting as well, but it has to be checked during riding as well.

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Coincidentally I’d just been looking.

New rear master cylinder and hose. Fresh fluid as well obvs.

Things are looking pretty good so far.

Last edited by Flatspot; 02/21/22 4:38 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Flatspot---from your photo of your Norton it looks as if you are into a great riding experience rather than sticking strictly to originality.
If that is so then a couple of suggestions:
a) You have a Boyer Mk 3 fitted. They are susceptible to ignition advance variation if the battery voltage gets too low. This might happen with a half worn battery when you are using the electric starter. With your recent health issues I guess that you would much prefer to be able to use the electric starter.
I suggest that you either upgrade to a Boyer Mk 4 which is better at low battery voltages. Look at the coils fitted. They are quite possibly 6 volt coils which are known to work OK but are not optimum as you are supplying 12 volts to the three coils in series. You can either upgrade to a Boyer Mk 4 and get three 4 volt coils or (and this is what I would do) buy a Trispark (the one with the remote black box) and buy three 12 volt coils (the Trispark is not a wasted spark system so each coil is individually triggered).
b) The front brake switch on the T160 (and T150s and earlier T140s) is a joke. If you get it working fine--but don't rely on it working for long.
The switch is a real Mickey Mouse design which Triumph should never have fitted.
You can get a hydraulically operated switch and fit it as per the 1979 T140E configuration. This gives a reliable front brake switch.
HTH

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Rideability is paramount, it must go and it must stop. The setup on the Norton is a revelation, 2 finger braking, and with a CNW starter, billet clutch and belt drive, not forgetting a Shorai Lithium battery, it starts first time every time.

I’ll strive for the same on this one, little by little, and it is especially gratifying to get sensible suggestions on here.

The front brake light does work, but I’m damned if I can figure out exactly how it’s working, enlighten me please.

I will see how things go with the ignition system, I have a new battery that will live on the Optimate, unless perhaps I end up going for a Shorai for this ine as well.

This may well be in the more distant future, as tomorrow my wife goes in for a gallstones op. and I’m off to see my cardiac consultant early next week - I’m hoping he will have an operation date for me. Just in case sh*t happens and I have a real problem, I’m making certain the bike is now all in one piece and saleable.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
The front brake light does work, but I’m damned if I can figure out exactly how it’s working, enlighten me please.

There's an adjustable screw inside the brake lever. When the brake is off, the tip of the screw presses against the pin of the switch inside the master cylinder housing holding the switch contacts apart...

When the brake is operated the pin is released and the contacts close.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 02/22/22 7:59 pm.
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Ooh, that looks a very well thought out solution to a problem which wasn’t there with a hydraulic switch facepalm

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
While I’m waiting for some better health news, I’ve been thinking about what ‘simple’ jobs I can do in the mean time.

I have the LPWilliams sump plate I’d like to fit - but is there a way to wiggle the old one off without removing the exhaust system? Failing that, is it feasible to just wriggle the 2 centre pipes out of the way?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
It is usual to remove just the two center pipes.

Not a big job unless rust has set in somewhere.

When you replace the plate ensure you have the deeper area in line with the oil pickup.

Last edited by GeoffLLLL; 03/01/22 10:09 pm.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
As a Spring bodge for wet sumping I undo the nut on the right front crank case and let all the accumulated oil up to that level come out (and put in back into the tank) then start the bike and keep the revs below 1500 or so for a few minutes while the rest of the oil in the crank gets pumped into the tank. From now on I will follow the advice of BigBars by draining most of the oil over winter (never thought of using my oil siphon hose instead of undoing the drain plug , now i have a use for it).

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com