Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
AussieDerek
AussieDerek
Wangi Wangi, NSW, Australia
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,968
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ok so I brought this 220 cc side valve BSA "Power Plant" engine from the 50s because the guy was just about giving it away and i believe his wife had mentioned the tip!

Well i shagged around and got it running ( very well) ...back in the day they were used a lot where there was no power access ..small saw mills , concrete mixers , water pumps. desk top fans etc

Wondering if these units were much of a thing in the USA ? They were big in rural parts of Oz and NZ

I intend getting an enormous truck alternator and an inverter to make a generator so next time there is a power cut in the street i can be the only one watching TV with ALL the lights on

It is oddly satisfying listening to it chuffing away 500-600 rpm maybe what is really satisfying is how pointless it is hahahh

any one else messed with these motors?

i will try to add some generic pics of one from the net ( never did figure the photo loading thing)

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
1 member likes this: leon bee
British motorcycles on eBay

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
2 members like this: Gary E, Ignoramus
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They came in 120cc, 220cc, 320cc and 420cc versions, and seem to keep on keeping on.

They used to come up here on eBay for between $40 for just an engine and $100 with something attached. I couldn't resist some of them, so have a Grazcos centrifugal pump with a 320, a reel-type lawn mower with a 120, and a couple of others, along with a couple of Hargan swing saws with M20 motors.
The Mobilco swing saw with 420 stationary motor was far better than the Hargan, but so far these have eluded me.

I bought a couple of little motors in Victoria ages ago, so Trevor and I picked them up on our way to the All British Rally that year. It entertained a few people at the rally when we had it sitting there chugging away.

1 member likes this: D.Bachtel
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Jeeze, now there's something else I need. Never seen one. I could have a BSA minibike!

2 members like this: Mitch, Ignoramus
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by leon bee
Jeeze, now there's something else I need. Never seen one. I could have a BSA minibike!

careful Leon !

year or so ago i started to get a few of those little 98cc Villiers 2 stroke engines come my way ....Y'all probably didnt see many of them in USA cause they were largely used on lawn mowers.... they can become addictive ... they are surprisingly well made and so dang easy to work on ...I brought some huge load of bits (and payed by the KG ) so far i have 1 runner out of the bits and another very likely to go soon as well

now i have 5 of the little MOFOS so only need another 3 and i can set up a countershaft system and build a 800cc 2 stroke V8 ... it will probably be quite fast . I can get a roiling wreck of some ricer that i wouldn't mind taking the gas torch to mount the V8 hahahah ... more like a "square 8 " or it would be too wide ...man the things we do eh

im sure the wale huggers wont mind me using it to burn my oil change oil with hhahaha it would smoke like a train ROFLMFAO

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for posting the pics Hugh Jörgen

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
now i have 5 of the little MOFOS so only need another 3 and i can set up a countershaft system and build a 800cc 2 stroke V8 ... it will probably be quite fast
Alan Millyard has some competition. Good to see.
You could start off on a smaller scale, with a V twin, W three or V (or square) four. Then reconfigure them on a regular basis to keep it interesting. How about setting the 5 out in a radial layout? The possibilities are endless.

Even 8 of the little buggers would scarcely pull the skin off a rice pudding - the porting is all wrong, and blue smokes really need to be at least square to do anything. The exhaust system would be a sight to behold, though smile

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
The first engine I ever built was a BSA 320. It used to run the spinner on a truck mounted lime spreader. I still have it 40 years later. It has some torque.

I enjoy firing it up every year or so for a trip down memory lane.

I have a spare Lucas SR1 magneto for it but I don’t think they work on bikes. I think they spin the wrong way. Not sure.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ginge
I have a spare Lucas SR1 magneto for it but I don’t think they work on bikes. I think they spin the wrong way. Not sure.
I think the platform-mounted SR1 on BSA industrial motors has the same shaft height and rotation as the magnetos used for B series singles. What they don't have is any advance/retard mechanism.

The story was that they were rather sought after by racers, being a rotating magnet type. That might be complete rubbish, like lots of stories Ive been told over the years.

There is a flange-mount SR1, used on Wisconsin stationary motors.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like how that red one has a "strangler" on it.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
What’s a strangler?

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
choke

yeah... I want one too

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I think "strangler" = "choke."

I never saw one of these BSA units in the USA.
Our domestic brands Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Wisconsin, and others did the same jobs.

Whatever the quality, I'll bet the BSA units were ABOVE the stuff Briggs & Stratton made.
("Briggs & Scrap-iron.")

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Whatever the quality, I'll bet the BSA units were ABOVE the stuff Briggs & Stratton made.
("Briggs & Scrap-iron.")
It would be hard to do worse, though apparently Tecumseh managed that dubious distinction.

1 member likes this: Irish Swede
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
now i have 5 of the little MOFOS so only need another 3 and i can set up a countershaft system and build a 800cc 2 stroke V8 ... it will probably be quite fast
Alan Millyard has some competition. Good to see.
You could start off on a smaller scale, with a V twin, W three or V (or square) four. Then reconfigure them on a regular basis to keep it interesting. How about setting the 5 out in a radial layout? The possibilities are endless.

Even 8 of the little buggers would scarcely pull the skin off a rice pudding - the porting is all wrong, and blue smokes really need to be at least square to do anything. The exhaust system would be a sight to behold, though smile

im not sure about "Even 8 of the little buggers would scarcely pull the skin off a rice pudding - the porting is all wrong, "

my thinking is that chain driven countershaft with each motor "timed" to deliver its power shot at 45 degrees so you would get 8 pulses per countershaft rev...one thing it would be is smooth . Probably just direct drive as setting up clutches gearboxes etc would be to much like hard work...probably a belt secondary drive with some informal arrangement to tension the belt as a pretend clutch

to me its all about the unGodly racket it would make plus the haze of smoke hhahaha ..road legal wont get a look in hahhaha . I recon if i can make it go at all that would be an achievement.... dont want to spend mega bucks on what is effectively a joke project ..

Not going do wreck the motors as even they are collectable ...all done in a way it could be dismantled and get back 8 little units not hacked around .

LEON : the "strangler" was only available on the BOSTON export model of the 60s since they only had one.

1 member likes this: leon bee
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
my thinking is that chain driven countershaft with each motor "timed" to deliver its power shot at 45 degrees so you would get 8 pulses per countershaft rev...one thing it would be is smooth . Probably just direct drive as setting up clutches gearboxes etc would be to much like hard work...probably a belt secondary drive with some informal arrangement to tension the belt as a pretend clutch
I'll take a guess that you have a bunch of these

It wouldn't be too difficult to make up a cradle to set out a pair of them as a V twin, with the crankshafts coupled with a belt or chain. The flywheels are rather bulky, so they would need to be spaced a bit far apart. The a V4, V6 or V8 is just a matter of adding more V twin pairs.
Easy enough to do for a bit of fun.

Getting carried away, lose the flywheels and use an external flywheel and use a points/distributor/coil ignition system. Something from a Holden or Ford V8 would be the shot.

Oh, and I forgot about the option of a Big Mother Villiers flat twin configuration.
There are lots of ways of configuring blocks of little two strokes.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Shane :
yes similar to the one in your pic , but that one is a very early one .

you cant loose the flywheels because they carry the magnets for the ignition

im leaning towards the "double " square 4 with one bank on each ide of the countershaft

as regards V twin ...now that would be gutless

im picking that with tall final drive ratios you could hit quite a respectable straight line top speed ...the buggers like to rev ... cant make the configuration too tight as they need a lot of cooling air

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
("Briggs & Scrap-iron.")
It would be hard to do worse, though apparently Tecumseh managed that dubious distinction.
Clinton engines weren't very good either. The aluminum block ones made Tecumseh's seem wonderful.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
you cant loose the flywheels because they carry the magnets for the ignition
That's the reason for going to externally powered ignition in Stage 2, somewhat similar to later Bantams. It's a more complex setup, but gives back quite a bit of space at the crankcases.

im leaning towards the "double " square 4 with one bank on each ide of the countershaft
You could also try a double V configuration, which would be something along the lines of half a radial.

as regards V twin ...now that would be gutless
That's just a proof of concept to get the layout figured out.

I was initially thinking of a transverse layout like the Moto Guzzi V8 or Honda CBX, but the double square 4 or double V4 might work better as a longitudinal arrangement like a Moto Guzzi or BMW. The sky is the limit. How about a V12?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Clinton engines weren't very good either. The aluminum block ones made Tecumseh's seem wonderful.
I don't think we got any of those. That may have been a good thing.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The really annoying thing is ever the tiny 87cc had an end fed crank
Something BSA neglectrd to do an anything other than the B series singles tha have all ball & rollers so they would have been happy with splash lubrication.
BSA eventually sold the stationary engine division to Villiers
So the Villiers 4 strokes are BSA Power Plus engines with a slightly altered cowel.
Randsome & Marles ( UK ) plain old Ransomes in the USA at some point in time boght the rights to the 98 cc & 120 cc engines and was making them branded BSA right up till the 90's fitting them to their reel mowers from 14" to 28" cut
FWIW low Hp range
Model B , 98 cc 54mm x 44.5mm 1.9 hp @ 3600 rpm
Model C 120cc 56mm x 50mm 2.25Hp @ 3600 rpm
Model D 220cc 68mm x 60mm 3.75 Hp @ 3000 rpm
Note these are all over square engines and had flywheel magnetos , mainy Wipac

High Hp engines
Models A & F 320cc 76.2mm x 69.8mm 5.5Hp @ 2750 rpm
Models E & G 420cc 82mm x 79.4mm 6.25Hp @ 2750rpm
These are as Shane descrbed with external magnetos & again over square .engine with end fed crank
A & E had shallow sumps for things that don't move , generators . compressors etc.
F & G have deep sumps for things like tillers that do move.

Final series Called Series 90
All 87 cc 54mm x 38mm 1.9 Hp @ 3,600 rpm
Appears to be 7 or more models Depending upon PTO dimensions & orientation of mounting bolts
Also one vertical shaft suggesting it was to be fitted to rotary mowers

No mention of the prior to WWII and the use of the Invictus ( horse logo ) sugests that they were a company BSA took over during or immediately post WWII .
If any one asked me I would hav said the sell off was in 1958 but the series 90 catalogues is dated 1961 and mention of the previous A-G models after 1958
The earliest mention I have of them is 1940 coupled directly to a generator for recharging aircraft batteries
In Kim"s lattest ( or previous) edition of the BSA literature is some of the Data sheets and most of the E series service sheets ( same as for A10's etc )

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Reminds me of a project a nutcase friend of mine had on the go,
he reckoned he was going to produce the 'Worlds Fastest Lister'
to compete with the kiwi's.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
ROFLMFAO @ "worlds fastest Lister"

Shane im not going to turn it into some complex engineering project ...just dont have the gear anymore ...sure V (or what ever ) 24 would be fine BUT then i would need 24 engines

i recon a double block of square 4s each side of the countershaft would be a pretty good compromise

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com