Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Mr Mike
Mr Mike
Cape Carteret, NC
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Magnetoman, Tom A65LR, wildbill, Nortarly, Doug P, Villiers, Carl), 16 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,578
Posts776,841
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jez #871118 02/04/22 5:51 pm
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
You’ve chosen the lower output version of the RM24.

Is your bike using magneto or distributor?

If distributor, then it takes power from the generating system, a magneto does not.

This makes a difference to your electrical requirements.

I would have chosen the highest rated RM24 myself, as it leaves you with the largest margin for future eventualities (eg if a magneto fails and you wish to install EI , or simply want better lighting).

I think that you have not got the best value for your money.

Of course, if you only wish to sell a working machine, it only matters to the next owner. The bike will work just fine (especially if it uses a magneto).

Take special care of the gap all round between rotor and stator, (CRUCIAL!).
There is a tiny bit of freedom in the adapter mounting bolts to achieve this. I had to open the adapter holes a little to safely get there.

1 member likes this: TinkererToo
Triumphs on eBay
koan58 #871139 02/04/22 8:59 pm
J
Jez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Originally Posted by koan58
You’ve chosen the lower output version of the RM24.

Is your bike using magneto or distributor?

If distributor, then it takes power from the generating system, a magneto does not.

This makes a difference to your electrical requirements.

I would have chosen the highest rated RM24 myself, as it leaves you with the largest margin for future eventualities (eg if a magneto fails and you wish to install EI , or simply want better lighting).

I think that you have not got the best value for your money.

Of course, if you only wish to sell a working machine, it only matters to the next owner. The bike will work just fine (especially if it uses a magneto).

Take special care of the gap all round between rotor and stator, (CRUCIAL!).
There is a tiny bit of freedom in the adapter mounting bolts to achieve this. I had to open the adapter holes a little to safely get there.

I appreciate your concern, I have thought about my power requirements and I have no need for the higher output stator as my ignition is magneto, if I had the high output stator I would have too much power for my system

Jez #871141 02/04/22 9:28 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
T
You can have a good enough charging system with the 10 A alternator.

I’m not saying more isn’t better, but 10 A will see you OK.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
1 member likes this: Jez
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Absolutely agree, 10A will be plenty when there is no ignition demand.
I was just thinking beyond the magneto, then you might want a few more amps.
Considering all the bits are similar money, its hard to justify going for lower.
Not my choice, fortunately.

koan58 #871159 02/04/22 11:41 pm
J
Jez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Absolutely agree, 10A will be plenty when there is no ignition demand.
I was just thinking beyond the magneto, then you might want a few more amps.
Considering all the bits are similar money, its hard to justify going for lower.
Not my choice, fortunately.

I prefer Magneto ignition and I don’t drive much in the dark

Jez #871162 02/04/22 11:55 pm
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
That's perfectly reasonable Jez, is the mag a known rebuilt quantity?

koan58 #871163 02/05/22 12:16 am
J
Jez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
That's perfectly reasonable Jez, is the mag a known rebuilt quantity?

It’s a K2F that I have been assured is a good one, hopefully it will prove to be so long term, I’ve only done a 10 mile ride so far, I wanted to get a charging system in the bike ASAP so I don’t get caught out in the dark!

Last edited by Jez; 02/05/22 12:17 am.
Jez #871166 02/05/22 1:04 am
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Not sure how valuable an assurance is on a magneto, has it been rebuilt recently (with evidence)?
Unless it has had a quality rebuild in recent years, it has to be considered dubious. (see Magntomans thread on the Members Projects forum.).
A working magneto can become a non-working one very rapidly, and then become a very expensive proposition.
That is why I suggested preparing the generating system for all contingencies.
That very thing happened to me in 1981, so I went to Lucas Rita EI, and needed a bit more from the alternator.
Just experience. Dave

Jez #871177 02/05/22 6:21 am
Life member
Life member
One thing I have noted on this thread is no real mention of a rectifier for the alternator, and a charging control such as a Zener diode.
In the past, I converted a generator and magneto pre unit rigid to a 60's era alternator with a a 60's era rectifier and a late 60's era Zener diode mounted in a finned heat sink. I then switched from magneto to distributor- all worked well and made a correct 12 volt electrical system.
The rectifier and Zener or modern day (hmphhh!) equivalents need to be considered and chosen to complete the charging system- and don't forget about a battery as well.
(Meanwhile, an hour later in the middle of my night, somewhere deep in the middle of a tropical jungle, a voice popped into my head.....)
"Hey Catt," the voice said.
"Yes?" I replied
"Deadstiffcatt, you also need to mention light bulbs! If he switches to an alternator and a 12 volt system, he may need to change those." said the voice.
"Ok, fine." I replied, "I'll edit the post to mention that. But what voice are you?" I inquired.
"It is I, Lucas, the Prince of Darkness!" the voice replied, "And remind him to make the proper sacrifice to ensure the system works!"
So with that, I got up, wrote this, and am now going back to bed, leaving you to think about zeners and rectifiers and bulbs and making sure it's all powerful enough that you can still mount an 8 track player on the bike's handlebars so you can blast Born To Be Wild as you cruise through the night. Cheers!

Last edited by Deadstiffcatt; 02/05/22 8:32 am. Reason: Either too much or not enough coffee.
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
Jez #871181 02/05/22 9:32 am
J
Jez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
A bit earlier I said “ Adaptor ring is now fitted with the new flange bolts, all looks great so I’ve ordered the 10 amp 3 phase RM24 with matching rotor and regulator, I am getting excited lol”
So that takes care of the regulator which is 3 phase.
I realise if I don’t want any risk the magneto should be reconditioned but it seems good and I have other bikes I can ride if I need to fix it later.
The rest of the electrical circuit has already been converted and rewired to 12v!

1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
Jez #871315 02/06/22 6:37 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
My 6T has a single phase alternator, modern reg/rec plus a capacitor, Pazon IE fitted into the distributor, 60/55 Halogen headlight bulb, and a small alarm type 12v battery. The alternator runs it all without any problems, even if you disconnect the battery it will run with the capacitor, lights on, apart from ticking over, but if you speed the tickover to about 1200, all is well

1 member likes this: Jez
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com