Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! ๐ŸŒŸ
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Benefactor โœ…
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,409
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#870460 01/29/22 8:27 pm
Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Last spring in the middle of the covid madness and the middle of my first bout of cancer, I decided I would treat myself to a new used bike, like you do! when this Bonnie scrambler came up on a dealers site on the web, after a couple of phone calls a deal was done, and a few days later it was delivered, untried, and untested by me.
A great looking bike, ran well, pretty quick, and sounded great. Unfortunately I never bonded with the bike probably something to do with my illness, so I moved it on, but it was fun for the short while we had together.

[Linked Image from kevindean.zenfolio.com]

:gerg sick

''Then out spake brave Horatius, the captain of the Gate: To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?''
2 members like this: ricochetrider, BeezaBryan
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looks like a nice bike Kev...

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Ah Kev, looked like a nice bike although I never wanted any of the "retro-y" Triumphs badly enough to buy one. I've heard more than one person say they never bonded with their modern Bonneville, so I understand.
The one modern Triumph I sort of always wanted was the Sprint GT- NOT the super sporty ST but the last of the Sprint line, which was apparently made specifically for "2-up,long distance comfort" according to something I read about them... well that was BEFORE the purchase. While I really like the bike- the 1050 Triple is completely fantastic, and it sure is a gas to ride.... but it's far more on the "sport" side pf Sport Touring than any of the BMWs I ever owned.

The main way this manifests is behind the fairing. It's almost totally sport bike fairing with a dinky sport bike windscreen... I can pretty well tuck my legs into the bike's body well enough to be mostly out of the wind but upper body, arms, and hands are all fully exposed. This has the unexpected benefit (actually) of slowing me down! At 75 I feel like I'm getting the snot kicked out of me, and at speeds above that, the battering is quite nearly too much.Add the fact that there's no cruise control, and there goes any real (distance) commuting (my "commutes" to work can be 100 miles or more one way)- or serious distance riding. Well for me anyway.

That said, I had the bike basically all last summer. I spent the 1st half of the summer doing long day rides of 200 miles or less - BUT- we in Entertainment went "back to work" in earnest long about late July/August and I spent the rest of the year panic-grabbing every gig that came along! At the end of the riding season, I'd only ridden the GT to work on maybe 2 occasions, and didn't get away to ride for 4,5,6 days as I like to do each year.

I'm going to give it a minute but I can say in honesty that I do have some regret in selling my plastic fantastic K1200 RS- which I'd just dumped a pile of money into which included new custom built Shocks by Penske Racing suspension! frown

The good news is that A not a lot of Sprint GTs were sold in the U.S. market, and B: K1200s are readily available and not a lot of money. But I seriously need to spend some days on a lap around the east coast (or something) so I can know for sure how I like the bike for long distance riding.

Maybe I could ride down to the TSMR and back the "long way"- and experience all the best roads the east coast has to offer over 1800 miles or so of up-and-back.

Meanwhile tho... Kev, what replaced the Scrambler then?

Lesya Ukrainka:
โ€œHe who has not lived through a storm/does not know the price of strength.โ€

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I know the feeling! I do like my 19โ€™ Speed Twin but it does not connect with me the way my Norton or my BSA connect.

Happy riding no matter what we have though๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ

46 Norton Model 18
66 Lightning
73 Commando
22 Bonneville T-120 green Goldline
1 member likes this: Kev.
Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Ah Kev,

Meanwhile tho... Kev, what replaced the Scrambler then?

Well I looked around for six months or so deliberating, but I had always fancied one of these...

https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubb...something-else-nearly-british#Post870469

So I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago, and it is sitting here at the marina waiting on me to feel well enough to enjoy it!
I do still have my old Guzzi sitting in the lockup, but I don't have the energy to get on and fix it ready for the summer just yet, but that day will come.

''Then out spake brave Horatius, the captain of the Gate: To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?''
1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
Owes beer's to admin
Owes beer's to admin
Ahh them were the Daze Kev lad, that photo with the BP in the background, ยฃ1.30 a litre..... cry Look at how much it IS now.... mad

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
1 member likes this: Kev.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...that Triumph model is expensive here (19000 Dollars new) for what delivers. I mean; the forks; the details etc are just normal old (tech) things not updated. Should cost almost the same than a Royal Enfield (about 9000 Dollars new here)

Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
They are expensive here too, even old used ones hold their price, and if you see a cheap one for sale, best to keep walking

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

ยฉ 1996-2023 britbike.com