Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (konon, Stein Roger, Neil1964, BeezaBryan, Hillbilly bike, Dave Comeau, JDH), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hi all, I have been restoreing an early 1947 rapide and have for the last three years been trying to find a timing side casing with the pronounced oil ways,
is there any one out there with a spare one, or one they would swap, with a H.R.D. timing side case without the pronounced oil ways, which I currently have, obviously i would be prepared to pay the going rate for the said item, or should i give up the quest, also i would like advice on any upgrades to my rebuild that wouldnt detract form the originality of the early Rapide,
Many thanks in anticipation Paul

Support your #1 Vincent Forum
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
The raised oilways timing covers are the preverbial hen's teeth as the item was only fitted to so few of the early bikes and many of those were exported back in the day, that said I am assuming that you have already researched your engine number and validated its place within the components/numbers sequence to ensure you are not a pointless search.

I would suggest you are more likely to find your part if you finish and run the bike with the case you have, once out and about you are more likely to come into contact with 'someone who knows someone' as these days there are many pleas for correct parts only to have a 'correct bike' shortly on the market for an eye watering price. Good that you are prepared to swap out what you have.

Unfortunately I cannot help you, good luck tho'.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I would suggest trying a wanted post on the Vincent Owners Group forum. Cast a wide net.

Bob V

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Phil, i dont think there's much chance of finding one, but you got to keep trying, on the search for a round brake switch aswell, wich will be much the same storey i think, i have seen the remanufactured ones but again the price is eye watering, why is it that any thing to do with Vincents is so costly, i am lucky to own one, but we are not all millionaires!!!

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
cheers Bob i will do that.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
"why is it that any thing to do with Vincents is so costly,"
1) Because so many 'experts' have previously imposed their 'know better than the factory' knowledge (not) on the poor unfortunate machine, with consequent wallet emptying correct repair costs.
2) The engines were designed without compromise, so correct repairs are without compromise.
3) So many previous spares were frankly, just useless pieces of expensive metal, so modern spares are made to a standard rather than cost.

Where in Warks are you, I'm not too far from Alcester (shortly), if you need any help PM me, I'll help where I can.
Cheers

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Miller 42E switch

I think 3 yeans on eBayUK to find a nice working OEM Miller 42E.

I have seen few since, maybe 2.
Automotive application might be Jowett.

Many other 47 and earlier differences - timing cover, heads, headlamp, taillight, rear stand, fenders, dynamo, clutch cover.......on and on., many more.

Miller42EBrkSw.jpg
Last edited by p400; 01/20/22 1:25 am.
1 member likes this: billywizz
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Great detailed picture, yes there are a few differences with the eary Rapides, I am however lucky enough to have most of the original parts, i will continue the search, the Jowett application sounds like a good line to persue, thanks for that, cheers!

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
In the US, but you might try Keith Martin at Big D Cycle in Dallas Texas. He has quite a large collection of original Vincent parts on hand, having acquired several stashes of them.

11155 Morrison St, Dallas, TX 75229
+1 (214) 339-2285

https://www.facebook.com/bigdcycle/

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks for that info David, i will drop him and email, the more seeds i cast on the stoney ground the better,

All the best Paul

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The Factory made three different kinds of HRD covers. The first one was sand-cast and had large veins, which is the one you are looking for. The second type was sand-cast with smaller veins. The cover was simply cast thicker to minimize the veins. This cover was very heavy. The last cover, which was probably early 1948 was die-cast and had the HRD, but no veins. The Series C Vincent was introduced in December of 1948 and the Factory wanted to introduce the "Vincent" name, rather than "HRD," but this took most of 1949. Many bikes had the HRD logo ground off the timing cover and the valve caps. These bikes are usually referred to as the transition models.

All to say, the early large vein timing cover is the most difficult to find due to the numbers. A friend just bought one and he looked for about a year. They do pop up.

David

1 member likes this: billywizz
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Here’s an obscure one for you. There was a fellow on the VOC forum looking for a A50AS fuel pipe for his B restoration. At the time, I hadn’t noticed the difference. The one on the bottom (square junction) is the “B” version he was referring to, although I’m sure with a lot of components there are no guarantees that they weren’t just fitted with whatever was in the bin at the time. Both these are NOS, which is interesting given the difference in finish.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]C26BE2EB-0B5C-43FF-8A93-A06C47E60B3F by First Last, on Flickr

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Cyborg, I have had to go into the workshop to see which type i have, glad to say its the square styled one, as you say i bet theres numerous small detail differences depending on supply at the time of construction.
I think you would have to be a proper rivet counter to notice the difference on a road bike, (no offence to any rivet counters out there, we all have our foibles, mine is sometimes a lack of tact!!!)

Last edited by billywizz; 01/26/22 6:19 pm.
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hi David iwas unaware that H.R.D. had produced three different types of cover, I think i may have the second type you discribe, if any pop up in your vacinity let me know, thanks Paul

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com