Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Kent Garden of England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
quinten 24
Newest Members
Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe, cole simon
12,117 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (L.A.B., Lekkie), 36 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,030
Posts769,129
Members12,117
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Since eBay sucks, I believe there is a market niche that begs to be filled! Anyone here find a good alternative parts auction site, and maybe they have used? I have some luck posting on Craig’s List for local items. I see Bring-A-Trailer as one that is focused mostly on Cars.
A search shows some, here’s an interesting one:

https://www.westauction.com/auction...arts-engines-and-tools-in-auburn-ca-1995

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 01/12/22 2:32 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
British motorcycles on eBay
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I am interested, for certain.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I joined several Facebook pages specifically to buy and sell parts. Amazing how many niche pages there are. Just sold a Maico 250 and a Husqvarna tank yesterday there.

Life member
Life member
The problem with finding a niche type marketing place is finding it. When I am looking for a specific part for sale, I am not going to go to 10 or 20 different sites to search for it. Based on an hourly wage, so to speak, by the time I have searched out those sites I could have just bought the thing from an established vendor at their price and not have wasted that hour to maybe find my needed part. So, costwise that part wouldn't be any cheaper on a niche site versus directly at the vendor.
That WAS the beauty of EBay until it changed into Fee bay. Go to their site, type in the part name, and have access to all of the available items appear. Fast payment, part at my house in a week or so. But for the seller, it has become too expensive to even take a chance on selling with all their selling fees.

Etsy- might find motorcycle literature.
Craigslist- mostly local- often limited shipping (and seller trust)
Facebooook- don't know, I am not comrade there.
Is there a seller spot on Twitter? Tik Toke? Whatever new site started 5 minutes ago?

That's 6 maybe's, and at this point I rather just go to the vendors listed here, or my own contacts from the past 40 years.

My tricks for selling on EBay used to be:

A solid selling rhythm: Always time auctions to end on a Saturday or Sunday night, about 7 to 9pm California time. This is after dinner both coasts, and buyer having nothing to do on a weekend night before heading to work Monday morning......This means having listings ready to go the prior week, and start pounding keys to time to the auction end time. Even Buy it now with a 30 day listing benefits from this rhythm.

Prepwork- good photos a must. For shipping, pre weigh and add a pound for the box and packing. Go to USPS website for smaller items, check shipping cost from California to New York City. (For non flat rate priority mail) This way you can list the highest shipping rate, so you don't have to requote shipping to all spots in between with buyers. It's easier for the buyer to just see a shipping price than have to ask you; likewise you don't have to keep replying to various buyers. Easy to give a refund on 'excessive shipping' if they are closer to you. Try NOT to prepack in the event of combining shipping.

Try to set one listing as a template. By doing so, you can just delete photos, price, shipping, and description of that particular item; then reinsert new item with it's different photos, price, shipping and description. (Certain parts you will never change will be refund policies, how soon you will ship, how many free kittens come with each purchase.) Using this method I could hammer out about 10 different auctions all with non alike items in an hour.

Pricing- the tricky part! As you have found out, .56c is a waste. Set your price at the bare minimum you will take PLUS the damn fees you'll get charged. To be blunt here.....it sat on a shelf for many years, and when you die it will be sold as part of a lot anyway for a fraction of it's worth because pretty much no one else will want to take the time to research it and sell it piece by piece. Your work today is to improve their inheritance later on; even if it doesn't sell there will be a photographed and valued inventory for their reference. Hmm, maybe pics and prices kept in a folder marked "All those darn motorcycle parts I collected over the years?"

Finally, once all the prep work is in play and you have found a site to host your listings, go to other British bike sites and add one link to them all.

For the time being, I no longer sell on EBay or anywhere else.My stock is not prepped at this time, and the work involved to make it viable does not fit in with my current life. (Ever tried selling bits from the middle of a jungle on an island with very poor internet? Definitely not time for me!)

KC, I do appreciate the things you have sold me, and I'm sure all who have bought from your listings here do as well. Although I can't offer a better venue than EBay, I do hope you may be able to use some of my tricks above to make your selling a bit less aggravating. Truly all my best to you! Joe

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Once upon a time, we could actually get out into the physical world and talk to real people to buy and sell parts. I think such events were called "swap meets" or "auto jumbles", but public liability insurance costs crippled them here, and Covid hammered the final nail in.

We also have Gumtree in Australia, and it may also have a presence elsewhere as well.

I think Yahoo! tried a marketplace years ago, but it sank like most of their other stuff.

As Joe said above, eBay is convenient for buyers, and provided a much wider reach. Unfortunately, they seem to be trying to extract every last cent from sellers.
I also appreciate the parts I've bought from KC through the Garage Sale board. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate an shipping costs make buying almost anything from the US quite prohibitive.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There was motoauct.com and maybe another name that I forgot, that were startups to be an alternative to eBay but apparently, they didn't make it. The obvious reason is that eBay is so big and so well known, that it basically has a monopoly on the market.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Once upon a time, we could actually get out into the physical world and talk to real people to buy and sell parts. I think such events were called "swap meets" or "auto jumbles", but public liability insurance costs crippled them here.......

Good point! I just checked, and Topping is still running the once a month swap meet in L.A., make sure to contact them before loading up the truck due to covid.

https://www.socalcycleswapmeet.com

https://www.socalcycleswapmeet.com/vendors/

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Curious if you have posted anything on eBay recently? They have modified the process to list. You must allow drop-down selections which of course do not fit your intention. Whole thing is AFU….. struggled through it yesterday to post a 1954 Chevy owners manual with a 1954 motor Rama medallion. Kind of a nice thing if you are a 1954 Chevy guy! Why do software engineers always change what was working and understood to something bizarre!

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 01/14/22 4:37 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Life member
Life member
KC, no ebay sales here since 2019 and my move to Hellwaii.
I do agree on computer engineers f--king things up. I am no computer genius, barely able to use one, BUT my first computer was easier to operate and had more usable functions right out of the box than a new one today.....and that was with Windews Millenium!

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Deadstiffcatt
KC, no ebay sales here since 2019 and my move to Hellwaii.
I do agree on computer engineers f--king things up. I am no computer genius, barely able to use one, BUT my first computer was easier to operate and had more usable functions right out of the box than a new one today.....and that was with Windews Millenium!
Windows? I thought you were discussing computers

Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
Why do software engineers always change what was working and understood to something bizarre!
It's the marketing department and the "system architects" what do it, despite the engineers telling them it won't work properly. DAMHIK;IJK

O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
I'm sure it wasn't the I.T. department.

I'm sure it came from Accounting.

1966 BSA Lightning (2)
1970 BSA Thunderbolt(1)
1977 Yamaha XS750D (2)
2005 Sportster 1200R (1 so far)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah, I always wondered why each new version of Word Perfect switched around the F keys for no discernible reason. Nevermind, the WP test at the employment agency doesn't allow keyboard shortcuts anyway, the "power users" are too stupid to use them.
At least Jobs was smart enough to not modify the Ethernet standard he stole from Xerox, just made it easy for us to use on his computers. Gates would have claimed to have invented it.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Soft-wear people and computer gurus seem to falsely assume that everyone else is 'into it" as much as they are.
They live in a world of their own, but aren't aware of that fact.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Back in the late 90s there was an auction site for pro audio gear called DigiBid.
It worked pretty well until they bought a bunch of stuff to sell themselves.
Today I don't see how anyone could compete with the giants of eBay and Amazon. There are some Facebook groups for British motorcycles and parts. I sold my A65 by posting it on the Nashville Ton Up page.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com