Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Peter R
Peter R
Netherlands
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
NickL 22
Newest Members
Willybuilt, Andyozz, BCDEREK, Flatspot, Larry Nelson
11,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (L.A.B., BeezaBryan, Hugh Jörgen, TinkererToo), 24 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,277
Posts758,287
Members11,984
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#868857 01/12/22 5:52 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hello; nothing about motorcycles, but the forum is packed with knowledgeable People and I have this doubt since forever.

Obviously, we have been united for longer than we think; since the way to act; the ways to live and the language seem the same; what changes are the words. That is, from the basic to the abstract, it seems to be the same way when expressing it; just in other words.
Why is this so? Why are people's reaction the same?
From simple phrases like calling someone "Mom? The short answer" What? Or "Yes"? Or "I'm coming" to complex things. How in all the Languages that is the same? Or the words "yes" and "no" All have the same idea no matter what Language.
But as if everything starts from the same place; There have been different civilizations but it is all the same; How do they come to the same thing?
Even the houses have always been with the same idea. Or the Pyramids that you have in different civilizations? Why all with the same idea? It seems strange to me.

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't bogart, pass it over, man...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
2 members like this: BSA_WM20, Hugh Jörgen
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Certain words are DEFINITE in meaning, such as "Yes, NO, MOM."

Other words are more abstract, requiring knowledge and education acquired in one's own society to understand them. The great American writer, humorist and scholar H.L. Mencken compiled a dictionary of words in "American English" to define the origins of many words not found in British dictionaries.

Someone famous (name slips me) once defined Britons and Americans as "One people, divided by a common language," and that is about right.

Examples from the world of automobiles give an easy example:

"Bonnet" - British, "Hood" - American

"Boot" - British: "Trunk - American

"Dynamo" - British, "Generator" - American

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
Online Content
I feel a sense of dé·jà vu regarding this conversation.
But then I'm a proponent of the cyclical big bang theory.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Life member
Online Content
Life member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Certain words are DEFINITE in meaning, such as "Yes, NO, MOM."

Other words are more abstract, requiring knowledge and education acquired in one's own society to understand them. The great American writer, humorist and scholar H.L. Mencken compiled a dictionary of words in "American English" to define the origins of many words not found in British dictionaries.

Someone famous (name slips me) once defined Britons and Americans as "One people, divided by a common language," and that is about right.

Examples from the world of automobiles give an easy example:

"Bonnet" - British, "Hood" - American

"Boot" - British: "Trunk - American

"Dynamo" - British, "Generator" - American

Fag (cigarette) English, something else American
Fanny American, something else English

And many others

clap laughing facepalm

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R

Gus Portokalos: "Give me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek."

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
...the doubt is regarding the "idea" behind the Languages; that looks the same. If you call your Mother: "Mom"? and then she reply: "Yes"? or "what?" or "I m coming" etc; all those short answers and words are in all the Languages; included Asian Languages and African dialects; of course then you have longer answers; that, besides the construction of a sentence, are the same too.
How all end up with the same idea to express something is what I do not know.

Life member
Life member
We catts have gotten by worldwide quite well with "meow" , "hiss", and "purr" for some millennium now.
Perhaps since all humanity comes from Adam and Eve (bible), or originated in Africa (Dr. Leakey), or even trundled out of the ocean on fins (Darwin), well, maybe the human world is made up of nothing but inbred people passing the first few words they ever learned on to the next multiples of generations, leaving them with no clue as to what the real world is about so that humanity can constantly strive to eliminate each other because of nothing more than mere words?
We catts would never........oops, gotta go, I see a mouse that will make a tasty snack..........

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"Clean parts in paraffin."
Imagine my confusion before Haynes started including a British to American glossary in the back of the manual.

It is interesting how similar common words are in Western languages. They are all derived from Latin or Greek, some are closer than others to these roots. English is a conglomerate. We had a perfectly good Saxon language until the Normans invaded. Ever since then nobody can spell. laugh

"The Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else" Winston Churchill
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
DOPE
DOPE
speling is ovrrated

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Ever since then nobody can spell. laugh

Including speel chuck
Er........spall chick
No, wait a minute.....speck Schell

Dang it, I give upp!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That's okay, spell check flags 'colour' too (as does this site.)
Word Perfect spell check always flagged my last name for have two T's instead of the proper Scottish (or New Jersey) one.

"The Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else" Winston Churchill
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
David, your "spell check" comment reminds me of a story. It happened to a friend of mine, who worked for a local city.
His job was to use a computerized stencil-cutting program to make all the street signs, and any special signs for events, parking lots, etc. as required.

He was once ordered to make special signs for a city parking lot used by the local history society.
When he got them done and installed, his boss called him in, "You spelled some words wrong!"

His reply: "Spell-check never corrected me, so what happened?"

Investigation showed that the computer program ("programme") was produced in Sweden, using British word spellings.

After that, he always kept an AMERICAN dictionary at hand when making signs.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
In Europe it's even more confusing.
I had a Teacher of Welsh, whose family and first language was Welsh, that regaled that as part of an army 'how smart are you' exercise her father, at night, was parachuted 'somewhere'. Having landed and walking down a lane having encountered someone asked in English where was he, the someone looked vacant, so he asked again in Welsh, only to have the someone respond that he was in Normandy, France!!
Seems that the Celtic roots of the Welsh and local Normandy languages are very similar.

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com